HID Install - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default HID Install

Here's how I installed my HID headlight:

First I ordered a 1 meter extension like this one for about 4 bucks:

HARNESS EXTENSION 50CM X 1 WIRE PLUG/PLAY AMP CONNECTOR SOCKET HID BALLAST KIT | eBay

Then I ordered a 55w high/low kit at 6000k like this one for about 29 bucks:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251152747722...84.m1423.l2649

OK, the first set of pictures shows the extension cable, the box (couple of views) and the back of the box. The back of the box is the only instructions you get.

I have a picture or two showing the cable ends. They are dummy proof. You can only hook them up one way. One thing I discovered is that there is a little tiny black connector with red and white wires. It isn't extended with the cable extension that I ordered. So the little relay box that goes with the kit can't be hidden under the tank. I could have extended the wires for that -they're nothing fancy, maybe 20 gauge wires- but I opted not to.

The kit comes with bullet connectors that are supposed to plug into the headlight connector. The back of our headlight has 3 spade connectors. So I bought some spade connectors with built in shrink wrap on them, and crimped them in place on the wires which come with the kit.

There are two holes on the bottom of the headlight bucket, they are for the stock loom for the brake lines (I believe, it's been awhile since I had those on my bike). Anyway, I have 2 holes on the bottom of the bucket which have rubber grommets. I used those to run the wiring. The ones which run to the relay went through no problem, but the extension cable wouldn't quite fit through the hole. So I took a small metal file and cut a groove for the plug to fit through. I then installed the grommets on the cable extension and slid everything in place.

I then hooked up the headlight with my modified cable and buttoned up the front.

To be continued on next post...

EDIT: I went ahead a purchased a bulb that has a reflective tip after some discussion with other members (see the rest of the thread). I believe it does actually work better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150865412509...84.m1439.l2649

Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID1.jpg (253.7 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg HID2.jpg (238.8 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg HID3.jpg (172.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg HID4.jpg (297.1 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg HID5.jpg (209.1 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg HID6.jpg (231.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg HID7.jpg (241.1 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg HID8.jpg (228.0 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg HID9.jpg (236.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg HID11.jpg (113.7 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by LeaderDuece; 11-15-2012 at 11:20 PM.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

OK, this shows the headlight bucket wiring going in place.

BTW -the yellow wire on the headlight plug is high beam, and the green wire is low beam. So just make sure you plug the proper wire into the proper plug and you're set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID12.jpg (182.1 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg HID13.jpg (195.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg HID11.jpg (113.7 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg HID14.jpg (174.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg HID15.jpg (157.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg HID16.jpg (162.4 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg HID17.jpg (180.1 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by LeaderDuece; 10-07-2012 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

OK, this shows the relay on the right side of the neck, and the extension cable on the left side of the neck. -As I stated, I could have extended the wires to move the relay, but it doesn't bother me. I didn't velcro it or anything, instead I ziptied the wiring before and after the relay so it's not going anywhere.

I made a simple sheet metal plate and bolted it in on the front (under the tank) and ziptied it in the back. I could have screwed it to the frame, but chose not to (may later though...).

I took the extra cable from the cable extension (it's 1 meter long) and rolled it up and ziptied it into place.

The relay also has 2 wires which run to the battery. The positive wire has an inline fuse holder in place as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HID18.jpg (175.6 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg HID19.jpg (163.8 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg HID20.jpg (196.5 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg HID21.jpg (235.6 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg HID22.jpg (241.8 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg HID24.jpg (236.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg HID25.jpg (252.0 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg HID26.jpg (179.7 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by LeaderDuece; 10-07-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is a shot showing the original headlight, and the HID headlight as a comparison.

I also included a shot without the headlight on. I smoked my lens for a few bucks a few months back, and that shot is to show what they look like off. I'll explain how I did it sometime soon....

Couple of last thoughts -if you look at the shot with the HID headlight, you can see a clear glass cover over the bulb. Turns out that's not a clear glass cover (like a regular bulb). That's a clear plastic cover you're supposed to remove.

I discovered this because after I took the bike for a test ride, the next day I'm looking at the bulb, and I see the whole thing has slagged down and melted. Luckily I was able to pull the headlight and bulb, and when I took the bulb out the whole thing came right out and I was able to peel it off. Nowhere did I see any instructions about removing it, I don't remember reading anything about removing a cover, and in fact I had taken great pains to not touch that thing because I thought it was a glass cover like a bulb. Anyway... take it off.

Also -I don't know if I screwed my bulb up or not -but they're pretty cheap anyway. It does work when you click high and low beam, but the bulb actually moves up and down. I'm not sure if that's how it's supposed to work or not. I suppose so, since it does work. The change from high to low beam is instantaneous. The light takes a second or so to turn on after the bike is running -a little slower than the regular bulb. It also shines for a second or so after the bike is turned off.

All in all, to me it was totally worth the less than 40 bucks I spent. I seriously considered getting a DDM or Sharp HID or something like that, but I decided they're all made in the same place, and for this price it was worth the risk.

Finally -this kit came with 3 different base plates for the bulb. You just select the H4 plate (they're not marked, but it's pretty easy to figure out which one would work on the bike) and slowly, carefully, painfully push it on the base. After that you're home free.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headlight1.jpg (223.0 KB, 166 views)
File Type: jpg Headlight2.jpg (241.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg HID23.jpg (199.5 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by LeaderDuece; 10-07-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Big difference at night?

Sent from my iPad using MO Free
Old 10-08-2012, 02:10 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
Big difference at night?
Good question, I'd like to know as well. I commute to work on an overnight shift, so I ride in the dark a lot. The conversion looks easy enough, so I may have to consider doing this as a winter project.

Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
Warrior Brothers World Wide Map
dfhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nice info. I picked up a HID kit but haven't installed it yet. Yet another upcoming winter project for me.

Warrior Brothers World Wide Map
kayak101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

It really does make a noticeable difference- not a "I think I can barely tell the difference " difference. It's well worth the upgrade and even including making the mounting plate it probably didn't take much more than an hour to do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
Old 10-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ckmustangcobra

One of my first mods to my Warrior was an HID. I ride a lot at night and the mod is worth it over and over.

I went with a DDM (****) 55w 5000K Bi-Xenon kit. After 4 bulb replacements I think I finally got a good one.

A nice quality HID kit is the way to go.

I think I have about triple the light output compared to a stock headlight. With my high beam... I can illuminate street signs a 1/4 mile away with ease and they are BRIGHT.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Love all the PIC's LD. Great to see how to do this.

I think having an HID should be mandatory. The difference in light between the old halogen is "night and day" (pun intended). Had I not gone off the deep end with my headlight mod, this was the only other alternative in my opinion.
It is, however, extremely unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence, or stupidity"

............................................... |_ |_| \/ ^/_ |_ /\ |= |\/| ( (...............................................
Luv2LafMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories