Better Rear Turn Signals - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rquest

they look cool but I don't think they are as bright as the high filament, I believe they are only as bright as the driving light. Am I correct? I ran another strip under my brake light (for brakes) and it isn't nearly as bright as the original brake filament in the fixture. I put the 2 filament bulbs in a set of Arlen Ness blinkers and ran them as driving/blinkers. (got that covered but still not sure if my brake light is bright enough.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ct.jpg (25.0 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by rquest; 11-22-2012 at 12:13 AM.
rquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 07:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquest View Post
they look cool but I don't think they are as bright as the high filament, I believe they are only as bright as the driving light. Am I correct? I ran another strip under my brake light (for brakes) and it isn't nearly as bright as the original brake filament in the fixture. I put the 2 filament bulbs in a set of Arlen Ness blinkers and ran them as driving/blinkers. (got that covered but still not sure if my brake light is bright enough.)
They are bright enough to be seen during the day....I am sure they could be brighter. I got Amber not yellow.

I thought of adding these to see so I could get some distance between the turn signals since the fed's require it.

Since having them on, I have decided they should be better. I am thinking of removing the fender stays and installing a few LED's from the inside. I don't really like them mounted out like that. I think I may only use 1 or 2 LED's. I can drill small holes in the fender stays for them to stick out from. The newer LED's are some bright mofo's so that might work and would certainly look better.

Thanks for the comments!

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez) www.rswarriordocs.com

Proper way to check oil level https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...2&mid=60&tid=8
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

Whats the distance requirement. One reason I love minnesota cops will for the most part leave you alone as long as your not doing something stupid. No yearly checks either.
idontknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
Added some LED's to make the rear turn signals more visible. I have the clear alternatives rear light and the turn signals are not that good.

WFLS-x-BK series Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - Black Circuit | Top Emitting | Flexible LED Light Strips | LED Light Strips & Bars | Super Bright LEDs
It's miss-leading when you say in your title (better) and in your post (more visible) Probably the best ones come stock on the bike. But we all like to customize our scoots and you got me interested in the link you provided and if my brake light was bright enough. I see it has "super bright LED's but they are $119! I just don't think the $12 ones are "better or more visible" or bright enough. But your idea of drilling out the fender stays and mounting the lights behind sounds COOL! Maybe if you decide to buy the brighter ones and split them in 1/3's I'll send you $40. (for a 1/3)
Old 11-22-2012, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

I was thinking of using the CREE LED's. Like this:
XPE series Cree LED | Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

They are the ones you see in flashlights these days. Just a discrete component that would mount to the inside of the fender stay and be wired in. They are about 5/16 diameter.

Yeah, title was a bit mis-leading. When I test them in the evening, the entire side of the bike lights up....but the CREE Led's should offer good presence and be very hidden....

I do not know exactly the federal requirement for horizontal distance but based on reading some of the post's, I thought it best to just be on the other side of it. On the fender stays, they are just a little short of what stock was/is.

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez) www.rswarriordocs.com

Proper way to check oil level https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...2&mid=60&tid=8
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I was thinking of using the CREE LED's. Like this:
XPE series Cree LED | Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs

They are the ones you see in flashlights these days. Just a discrete component that would mount to the inside of the fender stay and be wired in. They are about 5/16 diameter.

Yeah, title was a bit mis-leading. When I test them in the evening, the entire side of the bike lights up....but the CREE Led's should offer good presence and be very hidden....

I do not know exactly the federal requirement for horizontal distance but based on reading some of the post's, I thought it best to just be on the other side of it. On the fender stays, they are just a little short of what stock was/is.
I believe in most states it's a minimum 11" apart.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:45 PM   #17 (permalink)

I am liking the strips idea. I would think that the flashing lights alone would be enough to at least get folks' attention

Last edited by Pwfyrcat1; 11-26-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spell check!
Pwfyrcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Added some LED's to make the rear turn signals more visible. I have the clear alternatives rear light and the turn signals are not that good.

Here is the link for the LED, I bought one and cut it in half ($12, not bad)

WFLS-x-BK series Weatherproof High Power LED Flexible Light Strip - Black Circuit | Top Emitting | Flexible LED Light Strips | LED Light Strips & Bars | Super Bright LEDs

What y'all think?

2012-10-27_18-49-46_133.mp4 video by scootman286 - Photobucket
ooOoooo! Yay!!!

"Ohhh Sherri, I wish there was a vote for best rswarrior member EVAR!!!!!!!" - Mike7202
Sherriism is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories