RS Warrior Forum banner

Motorcycle shipping...

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  CCCP 
#1 ·
I've just purchased a Warrior on eBay. I know, I know it sounds kinda scary, but it's worth a risk.
So, I need to get it shipped from Vegas to Chicago. Most of the companies I looked up charge around $700 and more. Is that a normal price for the shipping or there are cheaper ways to do it?

#3 ·
You know, I was thinking about it too this morning. But I'd want to fly to Vegas, rent a truck over there and drop it off in Chicago. I need to find a rental company that will let me do that.
Also, would it fit in the back of a pick up truck, or I'll need a trailer?

#7 ·
quote:Originally posted by ohiomike

www.forwardair.com Under $500.00 but he has to drop it off at a Hub and you have to pick it up at a hub..

I used forwardair for my 900RR coming from East Coast to Missouri. Here's some "catch info" you'll want to know about them first.

You WILL need the following to ship fwdair:

1. Bike needs to have ALL fuel (and usually oil) drained from tank
2. Bike will need to be crated prior to shipping
3. You will have to provide the crate and tie downs
4. They may not ship w/ handle bars installed, so remove them
5. Make 100% sure that the condition of the bike is photographed prioir to shipping as well as photos of the crate condition

Now for the need to know:
1. If you drop it off at their terminal, it's cheaper
2. If it is dropped (at final destination) at a business that has a loading dock, it's much cheaper
3. If it's officially shipped business to business, it's cheaper
4. Upon receipt of item, it MUST be inspected BEFORE the driver leaves or you're stuck with the damages.
5. If bike arrives not in the condition it left in, photograph EVERYTHING

Fwdair shipped from the coast to Midwest for about $375, add in the cost of a crate and use of a dropsite w/ a dock and you may save a little. The other thing is this, if you fly out and haul it back on your own, then you have the ability to refuse the bike on the Ebay purchase on the spot and ask for your money back.

#8 ·
I used, well, actually the buyer used, Smartco Express Motorcycle Transport to get mr Warrior from SC to IL a few months ago.

Aside from being dirty when they picked it up (did not give me enough lead time from work to have get it all spiffed up) and dirty when recieved (dust from transport) everything else went well. They had the truck/trailer (30' enclosed) at my house when I got in from work... I rolled it out of the garage and the driver took it from there. Prety cool guy to talk to.. once he talked. Took about 4 days to arrive.. but he had 14 other bikes to deliver on his way from here to there....

I'd use them again., no doubt!

www.shipyourbike.com
Mike Cardin
888-764-0185
Mike@shipyourbike.com

#9 ·
Thanks everyone for ideas! I'll check out this Smartco place. forwardair.com sound like too much hassle with all the fluid draining, taking handlebars off, putting bike on the skid and all that.

But still I just might go there on the weekend, rent a pick up truck and bring it here.

How about renting a minivan, taking all the seats out and put the bike in there? Does it sound like a silly idea?

#11 ·
I don't know about the mini van idea. That would be tough to get it in there for sure. Better off renting a box van from UHAUL or something. I know it would be tough for me to trust a moving company to transport a bike I have never seen in person. When it gets to the destination and the tank is dented or something, good luck on that claim!

#15 ·
Hey!

Thanks for posts everyone. I was pretty much set with using the guys from www.haulbikes.com, but due to some changes with bike pick up arrangement between the seller and hauling company, I think I might just go and pick that bike up. And I'm thinking about riding it back..... but this is whole different question since I've never taking such long trips before. I'm going to open a new discussion on this.....

#16 ·
That sounds about right and it may even be a decent deal. You're talking about more than 1500 miles so even the cheapest route/method will probably still be in that price range. I've used www.a1autotransport.com/services/motorcycle-shipping.php and they gave me a good deal, but it was a lighter bike. My understanding is that the weight is a key factor in determining the cost. My best advice is to call around to a few places and see what kind of estimate they give you. At least then you'll have a ballpark idea of what to expect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.