Scraping the pipes.... - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2006, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Scraping the pipes....

So, yesterday I headed out to the mostly undeveloped golf course near my house to slam some corners...and to my great surprise....I finally managed to scrape my Street Sweepers on the concrete...hard.

Man...talk about pucker factor...I was sure that my footpeg would hit before my pipes....WRONG....they hit at exactly the same time. I laid her over real assertively and all of a sudden SCCCCKRKKKKRRRRSAAAAAAAK! Single lane curve with a high curb on each side, I had no problem keeping a good line and I wasn't in danger of laying it down...but it did get the adrenaline going.

Any of you find it a little startling the first time you hit your pipes/bracket? I was used to scraping my knee/foot on my Buell, and the footpegs on this bike...but the exhaust doesn't give at all...I was surprised by the feeling of impact when they hit.

I'll be headed back out to do it again today!

Any good stories about this? I'd love to hear your experiences with this...

Chris.
parabellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2006, 04:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Scraping the pipes....

It was a little startling the first time i scraped mine.

exit ramp (turn about onto anothe highway) going about 70 (posted 45)[}[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]]. Only problem was that it in hibbited me to lean over any farther and I ended up going about half way into the othe lane.[:0] Which could of been bad if there was any one there. But i definatley added some character to the pipes that day.. But I love to grind my pegs. I'm on my second set of feeler pegs..

But yea the pipes (or mounting plate) don't give at all and kind of scares my sometimes that the rear tire is going to lift off and i will crash...Which would suck, so i just watch my right handers more now...
bucky685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's not so bad in a big sweeper, but when you flick it hard to the right and BANG! hit the pipes it's an not so nice feeling. When I wear through the heat shields and start grinding on the real pipes I'll probably retire the Rineharts and find something with a little more clearance.
ply5013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I use my Samson Short Slashers as a right side out rigger that I slide around tightie righties with. It scraped a lot worse when they were new, but it didn't take long to grind off all that excess material. [[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]]

They only time they become a problem is in a tight turn and I hit a dip in the road. When the pipe and the frame hit hard it tends to bounce me towards the yellow line. For that reason I've learned to be carefull in right turns I can't see through.
sangathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

'Bout scared the pee pee outta me the first time, but didn't scare me quite enough to make me quit leaning. [[img]/emoticons/emotion-4.gif[/img]]
Insert Image:

92.95 KB
Endcaps!?!? We don't need no steeenking endcaps!!!
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

first time was unsettling, then after i got over the complete waste of money of the pipes and enjoyed putting on a spark show at night.

here is the underside of my old BUBs, were replaced with the Propipe...
Insert Image:

88.94*KB

Insert Image:

87.22KB
dfwrswarrior04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

"It's not so bad in a big sweeper, but when you flick it hard to the right and BANG! hit the pipes it's an not so nice feeling."

Exactly...after I got home I almost did a shorts check!

I was thinking...it might be a neat mod to add a kind of 'feeler' wire that was not really visible..something that would scrape (gently) and let you know that you are dangerously close to hitting your pipes...I may look into adding something like that on the right side. I have no problem with scraping my pipes...but I don't want a dip in the road to throw me off course, or worse...lift the back tire enough to lose traction.

Good thing tips are cheap for my pipes!

Chris.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

quote:Originally posted by parabellum

"It's not so bad in a big sweeper, but when you flick it hard to the right and BANG! hit the pipes it's an not so nice feeling."

Exactly...after I got home I almost did a shorts check!

I was thinking...it might be a neat mod to add a kind of 'feeler' wire that was not really visible..something that would scrape (gently) and let you know that you are dangerously close to hitting your pipes...I may look into adding something like that on the right side. I have no problem with scraping my pipes...but I don't want a dip in the road to throw me off course, or worse...lift the back tire enough to lose traction.

Good thing tips are cheap for my pipes!

Chris.

I tried something like that... The trick is that when you hear the scraping sound on your feeler, to quit scraping.
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Insert Image:

22.61KB
Bladerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is some seriously respectable pipe wear in all of these pics.

Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk