Kawasaki 1400 concours - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Kawasaki 1400 concours

I know there are others besides me on this forum that owns the 1400 Connie. I found awhile back on the internet that these bikes need routine greasing of the splines on the drive shaft on the engine end. The rear splines get oil from the differential. Some of the bkes were found to have very little grease on the front splines. So today with a little better than 20k, I pulled the drive shaft out, cleaned and greased the splines. I was glad to find that the factory had lubbed my pretty good and I was not in danger of loosing them anytime soon. It is not a hard job, but time comsuming. If you plan to do it, pm me and I will give you a few pointers to help if you are like me and haven't yet got the shop manual.
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have 54k on my C14, and fortunately a service contract with the dealer, my C14 was just serviced-oil chged, valves adjusted, oil and fuel filter changed and for the third time the front splines of the shaft drive lubed. The way to tell if it needs lubing is to push the bike to the rear and if you hear a clicking sound, she needs lubing. My service contract is good for one more year, but I bought a service manuel anyway.
1warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1warlock View Post
I have 54k on my C14, and fortunately a service contract with the dealer, my C14 was just serviced-oil chged, valves adjusted, oil and fuel filter changed and for the third time the front splines of the shaft drive lubed. The way to tell if it needs lubing is to push the bike to the rear and if you hear a clicking sound, she needs lubing. My service contract is good for one more year, but I bought a service manuel anyway.

You are exactly right about the clicking. Mine had started doing that, but there was still a decent amount of grease on the splines. I caught it okay. I think doing it with rear tire changes is a good way to stay on top of it.

BTW How about the valves? I am thinking of doing that over the winter. Any pointers?
Old 11-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabo View Post
You are exactly right about the clicking. Mine had started doing that, but there was still a decent amount of grease on the splines. I caught it okay. I think doing it with rear tire changes is a good way to stay on top of it.

BTW How about the valves? I am thinking of doing that over the winter. Any pointers?
Sorry no pointers on the valve adjustment. My C14 has had the valves checked twice and they were in tolerance each time. I renewed my maintaneous program with the dealer because of the pain in removing and replacing the fairing and valve adjustments. With this program, all I have to do is keep tires on it and ride it. They do everything else.
Old 11-03-2012, 06:47 AM   #5 (permalink)

Morning Bill!

Glad to hear you keeping the C14 tuned up.....serious riding coming up end of April 2013! Say "Hi" to Carol for me!!

Regards, VMaxChuck
vmaxchuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxchuck View Post
Morning Bill!

Glad to hear you keeping the C14 tuned up.....serious riding coming up end of April 2013! Say "Hi" to Carol for me!!

Regards, VMaxChuck
Hello to you Chuck...C14 freshly tuned, fresh coat of wax and ready to go.
It's 7:30 here and getting ready to go for Sat ride with riding Bud.
Looking forward to Apr 2013 Carol says "Hi"
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Good info guys. Mine only has 8k on it but I plan to check soon. As for valves, it has been my experience that Jap bikes seldom have issues. I will probably not have it done but I may buy a service manual and try it myself at some point 20k from now.

Love the Connie. Awesome bike.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
Good info guys. Mine only has 8k on it but I plan to check soon. As for valves, it has been my experience that Jap bikes seldom have issues. I will probably not have it done but I may buy a service manual and try it myself at some point 20k from now.

Love the Connie. Awesome bike.
I've owned my C14 for 5 years and any questions I've had about it, I've found the answer on the following site, Concours Owners Group | "Sport touring at its finest". These guys are as adiment about their Connies as this site is about the Warrior. I have both and believe I own the two best bikes for the kind of riding I do. Both are AWESOME BIKES
Old 11-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I've owned my C14 for 5 years and any questions I've had about it, I've found the answer on the following site, Concours Owners Group | "Sport touring at its finest". These guys are as adiment about their Connies as this site is about the Warrior. I have both and believe I own the two best bikes for the kind of riding I do. Both are AWESOME BIKES
I follow that site pretty close. Seems as though there isn't much trafiic and so far I haven't found many answers there, I did buy my Sargent seat from there and love it.
Old 11-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
That is the forum where I first learned of the splines that need lubed. There is a lot of information on it, but I have found the rswarrior site far better. IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk