Bitchn Stitchn Colorado - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 09:20 AM   #11 (permalink)

Wow...I recently had a seat made for my FJR and I sure wish I would have gotten that kind of attention. I thought I would have for the 800 bucks the seats cost me. I left feeling like the entire effort was 'phoned in'.

The actual owner of the store was not there and let someone else do his work. I spoke with the owner before we drove 400 miles (wife and I). I was staged for just what you got....customer service.....

The shop was Bill Mayer Saddles. The store was highly recommended and it just did not bear out that way. The guy planted a pre-made foam saddle piece and then commenced to cutting.....did not leave with any confidence at all.

Since then, the seat is...well....okay, but sure not like the result you got Sherri.

Nice review, thanks for sharing....

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez) www.rswarriordocs.com

Proper way to check oil level https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...2&mid=60&tid=8
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 02:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoligan2 View Post
Nice pics and write up Sherri.
Thanks!

"Ohhh Sherri, I wish there was a vote for best rswarrior member EVAR!!!!!!!" - Mike7202
Sherriism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
Nice write up, thanks, you said they put your cover back on, was that a different cover from stock that was on there when you bought the bike? Also, did they use adhesive when installing your seat cover or just stretched it tight to form to the foam? I just bought a gel pad for my seat and i am fixing to start on mine so your write up and pics made it a little less scary to start digging into it. Your seat looks great, they did a nice job.
Yamikawi is who I bought my Warrior from. I am not sure, but I do not think the cover was the stock. I think they put just a tiny fine layer of the adhesive when they put the cover back on. It was interesting watching him stretch the **** out of it and how it just formed so perfectly. I have heard from other members that in the past some riders have complained about blisters on the bum after instaling the gel. I would be sure to put a nice layer of foam over it just in case before the cover

Thank you Gilly! I cant wait to see pics!

"Ohhh Sherri, I wish there was a vote for best rswarrior member EVAR!!!!!!!" - Mike7202
Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2LafMcc View Post
Thanks for not only a great write up, but great pics...especially the little things that make it an interesting read :

Hehe, thank you! Isn't that awesome... I almost spit my water out when I read it

Old 11-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
That looks fantastic! I'd say you chose a great seat-maker!
Thank you! I think I did! I am going to work on er a bit in a minute and take her for a little 'not shivering so hard I cant feel the cozy' ride!

Old 11-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
Wow...I recently had a seat made for my FJR and I sure wish I would have gotten that kind of attention. I thought I would have for the 800 bucks the seats cost me. I left feeling like the entire effort was 'phoned in'.

The actual owner of the store was not there and let someone else do his work. I spoke with the owner before we drove 400 miles (wife and I). I was staged for just what you got....customer service.....

The shop was Bill Mayer Saddles. The store was highly recommended and it just did not bear out that way. The guy planted a pre-made foam saddle piece and then commenced to cutting.....did not leave with any confidence at all.

Since then, the seat is...well....okay, but sure not like the result you got Sherri.

Nice review, thanks for sharing....
Oh wow Scott, that's terrible. I'm sorry that happened to you guys. I hate when people are so unprofessional and really have false marketing. It makes it hard for the quality craftsman out there. Holy $800! Ugh.

These guys really do take the time to make sure it is quality and good for you. When I asked how they work with people from out of state, he explained it in great detail....because he is so detail oriented. I highly recommend giving them a call if you need another seat done!

Thank you

Old 11-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #17 (permalink)

Well, i have my seat shaved down and the gel pad glued in place, thanks to your pic's Sherriism. It was not a piece of cake for someone that has never done one. I look at it this way, if you are scared, say your scared. But it turned out to be not to bad. It took me about an hour just to get it done. I will have to go and pick up some 1/4" foam and some vinyl material to cover it with, i cut it down so far the stock seat cover is to small, and i need some 1/4" stainless staples for my staple gun. I appreciate the pics, cause it gave me the incentive to go ahead and just do it. I've had the gel pad a month and now the hard part is done. I took some pic's if anybody is interested after i am done. It is definitely more comfortable. I just hope my upholstery work turns out as good as yours did.

Well, my cover did not look as good as yours because i used to thick of a gel pad(3/4") and it shows through a little, but i can probably fix it with a little thicker foam over the gel pad next time, but not to bad for my first try. I learned a lot doing this one so the next time will be better. It is comfortable as all get out.

Thanks for your pictures, it helped me a lot.

Last edited by gilly; 11-19-2012 at 06:34 PM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
Well, i have my seat shaved down and the gel pad glued in place, thanks to your pic's Sherriism. It was not a piece of cake for someone that has never done one. I look at it this way, if you are scared, say your scared. But it turned out to be not to bad. It took me about an hour just to get it done. I will have to go and pick up some 1/4" foam and some vinyl material to cover it with, i cut it down so far the stock seat cover is to small, and i need some 1/4" stainless staples for my staple gun. I appreciate the pics, cause it gave me the incentive to go ahead and just do it. I've had the gel pad a month and now the hard part is done. I took some pic's if anybody is interested after i am done. It is definitely more comfortable. I just hope my upholstery work turns out as good as yours did.
Wow Gilly! That is scary and looks very detailed! I think it looks like you did a great job on your own! I am glad the pictures helped any. I have a way of becoming irritating with how many I take. Luckily the guys at the shop loved that I wanted to
I am very interested to see how the cover works out for you. Such a brave soul. If I did it, I would never be able to ride her again without all the wrong saddle sores!!!

Old 11-18-2012, 09:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks, i am good with the monkey see monkey do adage and i have installed floor covering for 35 years and have upholstered many things with carpet so maybe that will get me through with the cover part. Hopefully i will get the fabric and the rest of the stuff and finish it up tomorrow or the next.
PS:
I added the after pic's in post #17 above.

Last edited by gilly; 11-19-2012 at 08:19 PM.
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

Hey Sherriism glad to see you got your pad and I guess you really like it, knew you would. As for Gilly he won't have any problem putting on a new cover, with 35 years of upholstering carpet on things much harder than a seat, a thin piece of vinyl won't be anything for him. I know this because I was in the same trade over 40 years and my seat was the easiest upholstering I ever did.
LASTCHANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk