Epic Journey (2013) - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhowes View Post
Yes, 500 miles a day is aggressive from my single experience but very doable, IMO. I took my first long trip this past May, solo-age 55, when I bought my Warrior. From Virginia Beach to Tea, South Dakota, almost 1500 miles in three days. Day 1 = 442 miles, day 2 = only 345 miles because of rain (click this link to see trip/video in detail), day 3 = 660 miles.

When you get your details down, let me know. I live in Eastern South Dakota and may be interested in tagging up with you two. I may ride along for an hour, maybe four, or maybe hook up and follow you home and then take in Deals Gap. At the very least, I'll buy you lunch/dinner if you have the time to stop. Heck give me enough time and maybe I can talk the wife into letting you stay here overnight. That might be a hard sell though as she's nervous about letting strangers in the house. But heck, worth a try.

Again, from my single experience, take LOTS of pictures, consider investing in a cam (GoPro, Contour, or whatever) for the more interesting parts of the trip (and that ain't gonna be this part of SD), and whenever you stop, write down your thoughts no matter how mundane they may seem at the time - it may trigger some good memories later. I wish I had done this more on my trip.

Any way, I'm envying you already. PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want to get in contact when the time comes.
I viewed your video and enjoyed it. Even though I have not ridden in rain such as this, this video gives me expectation as to what it is like to do so. We migrate south from Canada each year and my dream some year is to ride my Warrior instead of flying. Very exciting.
Rapomcar is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfhowes View Post
Yes, 500 miles a day is aggressive from my single experience but very doable, IMO. I took my first long trip this past May, solo-age 55, when I bought my Warrior. From Virginia Beach to Tea, South Dakota, almost 1500 miles in three days. Day 1 = 442 miles, day 2 = only 345 miles because of rain (click this link to see trip/video in detail), day 3 = 660 miles.

When you get your details down, let me know. I live in Eastern South Dakota and may be interested in tagging up with you two. I may ride along for an hour, maybe four, or maybe hook up and follow you home and then take in Deals Gap. At the very least, I'll buy you lunch/dinner if you have the time to stop. Heck give me enough time and maybe I can talk the wife into letting you stay here overnight. That might be a hard sell though as she's nervous about letting strangers in the house. But heck, worth a try.

Again, from my single experience, take LOTS of pictures, consider investing in a cam (GoPro, Contour, or whatever) for the more interesting parts of the trip (and that ain't gonna be this part of SD), and whenever you stop, write down your thoughts no matter how mundane they may seem at the time - it may trigger some good memories later. I wish I had done this more on my trip.

Any way, I'm envying you already. PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want to get in contact when the time comes.
I will certainly keep the thread up to date and anyone is welcome to tag along if/when they like.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #23 (permalink)

Aw man, I'd love to do something like this some day. Have fun, be careful, pack more layers of clothes than you think you need, and post tons of pictures from the trip. I'm jealous.
Shag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:44 AM   #24 (permalink)

The last 2 summers I have taken some longer trips. I did a 5000 mile trip in 21 days this summer. Camping everynight and trying to live cheap.

I can tell you for sure some good rain gear is needed.

I use pants from first gear they are similar to this http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-ht-overpants. For a jacket I have a Klim parka and just layer clothing under it. I am still working on a pair of gloves I am happy with I havent found anything yet. I can also recommend a pair of heated glove liners!!! I didnt use them super often but when I did ohhh man they were a life saver.

I had a tool kit that was probably more than needed but the advice about a tire repair kit is great and I also had a little 12v air compressor I took along with an emergency belt.

I had a waterproof drybag I but on the back of the bike and kept all my clothes and stuff that shouldnt be needed during the day in there. I tried to keep anything I might need during the day, colder gloves/glove liners and the like in the saddlebags so it was readily accessible.

I dont know if this is helpful or not but thats my experience
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tool Pack.jpg (276.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Clothes.jpg (248.0 KB, 18 views)
milkman672042000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

Man, that sounds like a great time. I have traveled the areas between St. George through Nevada, Cal, OR, to Idaho at times in my life. To me, Nevada was far from boring. Just different. A bit of what the West used to be before so called progress. You have a good chance of seeing wild horses, burros, awesome sunrises and sunsets, great photo op's in front of cat houses out in the middle of nowhere, ghost towns, maybe a ufo. Hot and dry. When you park your bike in front of an establishment to go get a cool beverage and feel a bit of grit on your teeth, a sweaty brow, squinting a bit due to the sun, bit of a desert wind blowing your hair back, it just makes you feel like a badass. Well, maybe not; but more of a badass than when you park in front of a starbucks to get a tipple latte mocha-chino with whipped cream and....ah, you get the point. Oh and the best thing, very few cagers to contend with. You can also travel pretty fast with a high degree of safety due to limited traffic and excellent highways.

Not sure where you are headed in that area but Scotty's Castle is a good stop. Used to have free summer greens fee's at the furnace creek golf course in Death Valley but of course it runs about 115 degrees outside, not much shade on the course either. No humidity though.

I think the route you have down central Cali is going to be pretty hot and humid in many areas but lots of cool stops too. Can't quite tell if your going to be going through Yosemite. It is worth it though. 101 down the coast is very pretty. Lots of motor homes to contend with though. Don't plan on making good time on that stretch. I agree with Arizona Warrior, as long as you are not in a hurry it is awe inspiring. You can park your bike and walk 20 ft. to the beach with no hassle from anyone in many places all along the coast.

Eastern Oregon and southern Idaho to me was similar to Nevada but more civilized I guess. Enjoyable ride but I never have hit so many bugs at sunset as I have between Boise and the Oregon border last summer. Went from a clear face shield to literally blind in less than 1 minute.

Wish you the best. It ought to be a real fun trip. I am jealous.
Radicle Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:56 AM   #26 (permalink)

It will be a memorable trip. You will not regret going. Have a safe and fun trip.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #27 (permalink)

Well.... Time to revive this thread. We will be leaving Saturday morning.. The first day is Knoxville to Lake Tenkiller Park in Oklahoma.. A little over 700 miles. Hopefully all the first come first served camping isn't gone when we roll in.

You can follow along at www.acrosstheunion.com and I will post a couple highlights as time permits here.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:29 PM   #28 (permalink)

Looks awesome, have fun!

Warrior Brothers World Wide Map

Member #3,925. Woo Hoo!!
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesd View Post
Well.... Time to revive this thread. We will be leaving Saturday morning.. The first day is Knoxville to Lake Tenkiller Park in Oklahoma.. A little over 700 miles. Hopefully all the first come first served camping isn't gone when we roll in.

You can follow along at www.acrosstheunion.com and I will post a couple highlights as time permits here.

Dayum 700 miles!!!!! All Interstate I hope??
Be careful Have a great time

Sometimes I sit and think, Sometimes I just sit

A collective cowardice called Political Correctness has slowly stifled American Pride with a brainwashing of shame and guilt.

"I have never understood why it is "greed" to want to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take someone else's money." - Thomas Sowell
warriordog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good luck, have a safe trip.
sangathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk