Epic Journey (2013) - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Epic Journey (2013)

A friend and I have been discussing a ride around the best parts of the US for a couple years. Well, next year it's on. We will leave on Saturday August 31st 2013. The goal is 14 days and it's about 7000 miles. I will likely hate myself during the trip but it's something I can't pass up. There are certainly some "must see" spots on the map but we are still finalizing the points of interest so if you have suggestions feel free to chime in.

Last edited by jamesd; 11-29-2012 at 02:36 PM.
jamesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, I am sure many will chime in, but if it was me, when you get to Utah I would drop down south. Nevada is mostly pretty boring, but Arizona is spectacular. I would ride the old Route 66 over Sitgreaves Pass and into Oatman, then cross into California at Needles. Also that gives you many more miles (and a lot of incredible secenery) on the Pacific Coast Highway Also known as Highway 1.

Just a suggestion, and at any rate I am jealous, should be a great trip!

Warrior Brothers World Wide Map

Member #3,925. Woo Hoo!!
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

wowow!!!!! epic is right!, be safe and totally take thousands of pictures !!!!!

my bro-in-law are considering the same type of ride down the east coast to key west and the southern most point in the continental us, then back up to mass/maine....
gchalifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Wow, that looks like a challenge. Amazingly, I've driven (not ridden) almost every part of that route. I think you'll have a blast.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

jamesd, the mileage and the days you want to travel turns into about 500 miles a day. Sounds like you guys can pull it off. Are you camping, hauling, pulling a trailer; what are the details you are working out? I am up the road on I-75 from you and you can always come through Lexington and down the way if you like. If nothing else there's a great coffee shop in Richmond, KY that is well worth the ride. Good luck.

By the way, the BEST pizza I ever had was in The Dalles Oregon about 35 years ago at a place called Spooks or Spookies, incredible. Probably not there now, but oh was it good.

Yep that's just the way it is!
Stay in the word!
Member 24379
twicechosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Its a great route, you will have options-option-options for things to see and do along the way!
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

We are looking at camping 3 of 4 days. Pretty sure I will need to wash the smelly parts on day 4. Camping at Yellowstone for sure. We haven't worked out all the stops yet, need to look at average temps in each location so we take enough but not too much gear, and the route will likely get adjusted some more. No trailer, I have a top-case and intend to buy a waterproof bag to stick on the back seat. Will likely have to stop for additional stuff along the way but thats ok. I am pretty sure a new set of tires will survive, the Pirelli Angels get great wear. I can't imagine doing it on my Warrior.

I think my backside is going to suffer but I am really looking forward to this ride. We are going to some places I haven't seen before and may never if not for this trip. The guy I am riding with is in his mid 20s and I am 47... Not fare really. He is in much better shape but I can still kick his @ss so I guess it all works out.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thumbs up

James ... Looks like a really neat route and very doable ride on your new Connie.
My only suggestion is a tire repair kit and my tools of choice shown for the Warrior when ever i ride

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks Alan.. I still have to gather my tools I want to take so that is helpful.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

That looks like a great ride, I'm so envious
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk