RS Warrior Forum banner

K&N Air Filter ?

11K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  messx03 
#1 ·
i am trying to decide wether to just get K&N filters to replace the stock filters or if i should go with the ones that

completely bypasses the stock intake and mount right under the tank,in other words the visible intakes would just be for looks(non-functioning).

does anyone know if one gets you better performance then the other?

i appreciate any info.

i'm a warrior newbie and lovin' every minute of it

#2 ·
I can't speak from personal experience, but from what I've read here, the BAK (Big Air Kit) is what you're speaking of where the KN filters mount directly to the throttle bodies under the tank, or directly to "velocitystacks" that are then mounted to your throttle bodies.There are a few options for doin this:

Churchkey's VBAK

Baron's BAK

Patrick Racing BAK

Do It Yourself (DIY) BAK

there may be others, but these are the most popular. Each has significant performance gains. Churchkey's and PR's are said to be the best but prepare to pay around $200+ for these kits. The route I am going this coming weekend is the DIY BAK. you can do a search for DIY BAK and should find plenty of info on how to do it. Also check out Redhorse's website via his gallery page for detail inst. Good luck!

#5 ·
Yes sir, you will improve air intake by using K&N filters in both your stock airbox positions (one under the tank and one behind the right-side airbox). If you have a Speedstar (S*) air scoop on the RIGHT side then it uses the same K&N filter that is under your tank. BTW your tank is set up to act as a scoop, you don't want to block air access to the under-front of your gas tank.

Yes sir, you will further improve air intake by removing the airbox completely and instally Churchkey's VBAK kit complete. The results are must more aggressive performance, plus you will be able to hear your motor's top-end functioning. Some people hear this as noise, others as mchanical music to their ears. Either way the machine will sound like a machine including you will hear the inrush or air into the K&N filters Woody includes in his VBAK.

If you want a quiet little cruiser, leave the airbox (which Yamaha calls a silencer) installed.

If you want to investigate the capacilities and possibilities of your Warrior, yank the airbox and plug in VBAK.

By the way, the VBAK's air flow design is far superior to either of the other BAK designs.

Also BTW, if you decide to keep the silencer air box and add K&N's let me know because I went VBAK and may soon decide to sell my airbox, both K&N's, and the right side Speedstar air scoop. Not firm yet, but pretty sure it'll happen by summer.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
i actually chose the yamaha velocity stacks on mine, only problem is the cheapo filters they come with. I actually dont run filters on mine meaning i run open stacks most of the time(unless i am doing looong trips then put the unifilters on). I wouldsay Yami velocity stacks outperform Churchkeys or PR in the drag racing enviroment(with open stacks). on a bone stock bike with yami-stacks and power robbing bubs shorties, i was running under 8 sec 1/8ths at warriorfest 1(and got vids to prove it-or you can ask Centerline-was racing him on his FJR).

#11 ·
+1 on the Yammi V-Stacks. I made a pretty good filter that covers both the stacks. I used two sheets of Unifilter material , attached them together with velcro , cut two holes for the stacks. kind of like a pillow sheet with two holes.good filter with room to breath . I'll try to post pics soon as I did not take any during the install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.