RS Warrior Forum banner

Official VMAX Horsepower, Torque

13K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Frankenstein 
#1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted here yet but a link from yamaha.com.au takes you to a mini site that states official HP and Torque for the VMAX. I know the Starmotorcycles.com site doesn't.

Engine type - 4-stroke, DOHC, 4-valve, V-type 4-cylinder
Engine cooling - Liquid cooled

Displacement - 1,679cc
Bore x stroke- 90.0 x 66.0 mm

Compression ratio - 11.3:1
Maximum power - 147.2 kW (197.4 HP) (200 PS) @ 9,000 rpm

Maximum torque - 166.8 Nm (123.01 lb/ft) (17.0 kg-m) @ 6,500 rpm
Lubrication system- Wet sump

Fuel System - Fuel injection
Clutch type - Wet, multiple-disc diaphragm spring

Ignition system - TCI
Starter system - Electric

Transmission system - Constant mesh, 5-speed
Final transmission - Shaft drive

Primary ratio - 1.509
Secundary ratio - 3.082

Gear ratio-1st gear - 2.375
Gear ratio-2nd gear - 1.810

Gear ratio-3rd gear - 1.400
Gear ratio-4th gear - 1.115

Gear ratio-5th gear - 0.935
Fuel tank capacity - 15 litres

Oil tank capacity - 5.9 litres

Chassis

Chassis: - Aluminium, Diamond-shaped
Front suspension system - Telescopic forks, Ø 52 mm

Front travel - 120 mm
Rear suspension system - Swingarm (Link-type suspension)

Rear travel - 110 mm
Caster angle - 31°

Trail - 148 mm
Front brake - Dual discs, Ø 320 mm

Rear brake -Single disc, Ø 298 mm
Front tyre - 120/70 R18M/C (59V)

Rear tyre - 200/50 R18M/C (76V)

Dimensions

Length - 2,395 mm
Width - 820 mm

Height - 1,190 mm
Seat height - 775 mm

Wheel base - 1,700 mm
Minimum ground clearance - 140 mm

Service weight - 310 kg

See less See more
#5 ·
kja said:
WARNING!!! THIS MACHINE MAY NOT BE FOR EVERYONE. That is some serious power!

Yup, zero to DEAD in 2.1 seconds.
still a bad bike though. I wonder how manysquids will die on it. Im sure mikey (exharleyrdr) cant wait to high side it off the show room floor. hehe. Heck, I would probably high side it too, and I ride slow. almost 200HP, from a factory bike??? times are getting crazy. I remember when 750cc was a BIG BIKE. the quest for TOO MUCH power.

#7 ·
congrats Ollie. I know you will not ride over your head. and have a better chance to handle it. but what about these idiots that have to have it, because it is the most powerful bike. LOL I saw a guy buying a ZX-14 for his first bike. salesman was trying to talk him out of it even. Darwin award winner waiting to happen. Im sure this bike will draw them like flies also. I just hope yamaha fixed the head shake problem they had with the old one.

#10 ·
WannaB said:
... I just hope yamaha fixed the head shake problem they had with the old one. 
This is a brand new bike - the only thing in common with the old VMax is the name and a bit of styling.. No Yamaha in the past 10 years had this problem. Nothing to fix here for me. Its new and for sure wont have that problem. This is not 25 year old technology - it's the latest in what Yamaha can build.

According to a test riders I spoke to, it will out-handle the Warrior - he even said he liked the ride a lot more than on the burger king. If that's only close to be true, it will be a great handling bike.

#11 ·
heavyhitter said:
Numbers from manufactures are always inflated and taken at the crank. I would be surprised if it hits 150-160 on a dyno in the real world, however that is still alot of engine!
Cycle World is estimating 170-175 rwhps. That's inline with the crank to rwhps ratio of the FJR1300 which uses a very similar shaft drive.
We shall see soon enough.

BTW I don't get why so many people have a problem with the shaft drive. It performs very well (FJR looses less than 13% crank to rear wheel - about the same as the Warrior), has been built to fit at least a 250 rear wheel without swingarm modifications and is the best you can dream of to launch that bike super hard without wheeling all the time. The shaft swats the bike, versus belt and chain raise the front.

You guys remember the Cycle World Article 20 some year ago: Taking it to the Nines? They took a VMax, put on an after market exhaust and different carbs/jetting, put on drag tires and a wheely bar and ran the 1/4 mile in 9.69sec @ 138mph. Now imagine for a moment you put an aftermarket exhaust, PCIII on that new Max, maybe a drag tire in the rear, what will the new one be able to do? BTW the Max beet the competition including a turbo hands down that year.

Its gonna be one fast bike. To avoid people from going too crazy, Yamaha put a speed governor on the new max. In stock form it will do only 137mph. If those are measured 137mph, they are equivalent of 150 speedo mph, given the drift at high speed. Never the less this bike will put some people in great danger, but so do several high power bikes on the market.

#12 ·
heavyhitter said:
Numbers from manufactures are always inflated and taken at the crank. I would be surprised if it hits 150-160 on a dyno in the real world, however that is still alot of engine!
There's nothing inflated about the figures being stated on this bike .... this is the latest and greatest technology Yamaha has to offer. The engine has been detuned approx 100 bhp
and there is no other production bike on Planet Earth equal .....

#13 ·
This is a brand new bike - the only thing in common with the old VMax is the name and a bit of styling.. No Yamaha in the past 10 years had this problem. Nothing to fix here for me. Its new and for sure wont have that problem. This is not 25 year old technology - it's the latest in what Yamaha can build. According to a test riders I spoke to, it will out-handle the Warrior - he even said he liked the ride a lot more than on the burger king. If that's only close to be true, it will be a great handling bike.

I hate to disagree with you on the head shape problem but myind was a brand new 06 and it had a bad shape when you hit about 115. I am sure that it will out handle the warrior because my 06 could out handle the warrior. By the way Brother when you ordered yours I hope you didn't forget to order mind.

#15 ·
Dammmmmmnnnn that's a nice bike!! I was minutes away from buying an '06 max instead of my midnight... the wifey was actually pushing for the max. I didn't care for the look of that year max... but man this is a good looking bike. can you imagine a 240 or 250 strapped onto that thing???!!! wow... well it's got me thinking for sure. I'm one of those who believes there is no such thing as too much power on anything... I use to even race lawn mowers lol. You just have to know your limits, which should be pushed once in a while, given the right (safe) circumstances.

Frankenstein.... let us know when you get yours!!! and of course we'll need pics

#16 ·
Only time will tell. I would like to see wht it is actually putting out. I had a 2004 Hayabusa and that was alot of bike, but even when that came out there was speculation and claims of 200hp but in reality it was in the 160's and thats with chain which is more efficient.

The shaft drive has alot going for it atleast on terms of maint. but the only shaft drive I have riden was on ATV's and I dont like the backlash, but is so nice changing differential oil once every other year than new sproket and chains every season... and a **** of alot cheaper too!

#18 ·
megawatt said:
WannaB said:
I wonder how manysquids will die on it.

At $18,000 a bike, I am going to take a wild guess and say that not many spuids will die on it. Unless it is easily stolen because the key was left in it.
And that is why I hate Ollie
cause he gets all the good new toys, while we are stuck with "hand-me downs". Im going to fly out to cali, and steal oliie's new V-max, after he mods the crap out of it of course. LOL he would never find me, because i would be plowed up inside the *** of an 18 wheeler within 15 miles. like that pic of the kid on the interstate.

#20 ·
I am all for supporting the new Mr Max. That is pretty much the only metric bike that I have seen gain respect o(or aat least left alone) at a mostly Harley bike ralley, because most people recognize it as a bad azz bike. But until I see that it can perform at the drag strip it is all hype. The drag strip is where it should be king right?

Any 600cc sportbike will eat its lunch in the twisties, a goldwing or FJ will out distance it when it comes to touring, the new max is not meant to be a city bar hopper like a custom ridgid chopper is best used for, so that leaves the drag strip for it to claim as its kingdom. But the Busa's have had a iron fisted grip as being the dragstrip king since it came out nearly a decade ago, so it will not be an easy fight.

And no I am not saying that because I own a Busa. But for $18k it needs to do something very well, and $18k spent on a Busa or ZX14 you can easily get into the LOW 8 sec quarter mile runs with minimal mods.

#21 ·
As someone who spent the $18,000 for the vmax I can tell you it had NOTHING to do with beating the busa, going to the drag strip or carving the corners!!! It had all to do with the looks, yes Ilove the looksand power in the 40mph to 130 mph range weather it beats anything else on the road, I don't care... I can't wait to throw another $10,000 in this bad boy.. Just for the record the bike was highly DETUNED!!.. The new Aprilia 1000cc V4 is producing the same 210HP, Now throw another 700cc at that and Olivers electrical and mecanical inginuity and Iam all about the new vmax stock or modded.. By the way my vmaxs name is"Lightning" just for the record..

#22 ·
I put my deposit down. 20 minutes after it was announced I was at my dealer. I have claim number 288. Can't wait for November.

I'm hoping I can bring it home crated so my dealer doesn't get a chance to flog it as a "safety ride" My Warrior had ZERO miles on it when I rode it away from the same dealer so I'm hoping they don't try and tell me it's mandatory.

My goal is to get it under 600 lbs and over200 RWHP.....just enough to scare you.

Also, the stock swingarm is already wide enough for possibly up to a 260 tireso that should help put the power down. (Thanks to Oliver who got to come to Yamahas unveiling for measuring it)

#23 ·
ohiomike said:
As someone who spent the $18,000 for the vmax I can tell you it had NOTHING to do with beating the busa, going to the drag strip or carving the corners!!! It had all to do with the looks, yes Ilove the looksand power in the 40mph to 130 mph range weather it beats anything else on the road, I don't care... I can't wait to throw another $10,000 in this bad boy.. Just for the record the bike was highly DETUNED!!.. The new Aprilia 1000cc V4 is producing the same 210HP, Now throw another 700cc at that and Olivers electrical and mecanical inginuity and Iam all about the new vmax stock or modded.. By the way my vmaxs name is"Lightning" just for the record..

why dont you just throw another $10,000 at this bad boy, and i will just tell everyone how fast your Vmax is LOL 28gs in 1 asian bike is alot of copper for not much return, and you know where i stand on choppers.

#24 ·
You can't take it with you and the only wayI would buy a big chopper would be to hang iton my wall.. After mods of course..

Hey whats that claim number? I don't remember getting one of those? I will call my dealer..

#25 ·
ohiomike said:
You can't take it with you and the only wayI would buy a big chopper would be to hang iton my wall.. After mods of course..

Hey whats that claim number? I don't remember getting one of those? I will call my dealer..

The dealer should be able to print out a "Priority Delivery Claim Form" It will have a number on it that begins in 261.... The numbers after the 261 are where you are in line. My dealer didn't give me one either but when I called back after hearing about it, they faxed it over. They knew exactly what I was talking about.

Check out this thread on Starvmax.com

http://www.starvmax.com/Forum/General-VMax-Discussion/4821-Claim-number-sequence-where-are-you-in-line/Page-26.html

I had the lowest number for a while but since then there are 3 lower. The highest so far is 261938....I'm 261288

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.