Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2012, 09:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shorai LFX18A1-BS12

Just installed my new Shorai LFX18A1-BS12 and I know several other on the 4m recently ordered them so I thought I would open a new thread for people to discuss the battery if they so desire. There are bits and pieces of info throughout other threads but i'ts a relatively new battery so here goes.

The battery came in a nice box with several different sizes of foam inserts (since the Shorai is quite a bit smaller than stock). The first thing you notice is how light the thing is. It feels so light you think they may have forgot to fill the plastic case with batteries. It looks very clean and modern. Anyway I had the old 10 pound battery out and this 2 pound beauty installed in about 5 minutes. It definitely cranks with a lot more "confidence" than the stocker. It doesn't sound like a 4 cylinder sportbike or anything but its powerful (mind you its 30 deg f in Salt Lake City right now). It may be in my head but i feel like i can tell the bike is 8 pounds lighter.

So far i'm very happy with the purchase. It's light, small, and it's powerful. It's also not THAT expensive. Plus its suppose to charge a lot quicker and hold charge a lot longer. I'll let you all know if I feel this is not the case in the future.

- George Bernard Shaw
Benhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2012, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Got around 30 cranks on mine so far and I love it ,starter loves it too. with the lead battery on every third or forth start it would stall for a sec and then start loosing my clock and trip no probs with that now 270CCA at 2lbs you can't beat that and they have up to 550CCA for a bike two things Benhaw didn't mention...they come with little foam pieces already stuck on the nuts so the won't fall out during install...fanfuckintastic! and they come with five nice decals for your man cave fridge
60ftgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bump for more input from Shorai owners?
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Glad to hear. This is def gonna be my next battery
Old 03-26-2012, 09:17 AM   #5 (permalink)

I put mine in last week and agree with Benhaw. By how light it feels, you think there is no way this is the right battery, but it cranks better than the stock one ever did. So far I am very pleased with the purchase.
tri_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

I purchased the Shorai LFX14A1-BS12, last October. I keep the bike in a moderately heated garage in the winter and it always cranked fine. My only complaint was that on the Shorai site, it said you needed their specific trickle charger (whether that is true or not idk) and it was as much as the battery.

If I had it to do over again, I would've went with the LFX18A1-BS12, but no complaints with the LFX14A1-BS12.
lwking86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwking86 View Post
I purchased the Shorai LFX14A1-BS12, last October. I keep the bike in a moderately heated garage in the winter and it always cranked fine. My only complaint was that on the Shorai site, it said you needed their specific trickle charger (whether that is true or not idk) and it was as much as the battery.

If I had it to do over again, I would've went with the LFX18A1-BS12, but no complaints with the LFX14A1-BS12.

The purpose of their trickle charger is that it charges each cell separately to capacity.. Honestly that doesn't matter. If you are going to be not using the bike for a long period of time (winter up north I guess) then just disconnect the battery and leave it alone. It will remain fully charged all winter (even at sub zero temps) without a problem if there is no drain on it. If you are too lazy to disconnect one of the wires for the winter, then buy their trickle charger.

If you want to read up on these here is a thread from my old forum:
Turntech battery update - SuperHawk Forum

FYI: Turntech is another maker of these type of batteries, not as big of a company as Ballistic, or Shorai, but they have been around for a while. They only cater to small bikes, they don't make one rated for the warrior.
Lazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

I put mine in after putting my bike back together with the PR 110 kit in.
for the break in period you can tell the battery does not like the hi-comp engine, but it does get it started. there would have been absolutely no hope for the stocker. now that the engine is a little more broken in it fires up within 1~2 cycles.
riodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

I still question whether stock bikes 'need' the Shorai since my 08 with stock battery cranks over better than my 02 with 108 etc etc ever has with the Shorai installed. Assuming it is needed I have a couple of thoughts:
1) I cannot tell the difference in weight but that is probably due to the 5,000 to 11,000ft we ride at...ahem:}
2) Since the Shorai is so small there is a lot of extra space under the seat for all the fun little black boxes we all add.
3) The Shorai does have a very definite 'break-in' period like they say on their site. Mine now usually stays at about 13.4volts static which is excellent.
4) They have excellent customer service and are always happy to talk to me and were about to have me return mine since it 'only' read 12.8 volts. Now it is incredible and even my HID xenon light works perfectly every time:}
5) Be VERY careful of parasitic drain. Make absolutely sure you turn off your G P S and EVERYTHING else that may use power. These batteries don't have a huge capacity and it's very easy to run them low from which they may not ever return.......great advice above on that.

So overall, a wonderful but pricey battery that I think now has 15% off from the Company. Enjoy....

Quote:
Originally Posted by riodin View Post
I put mine in after putting my bike back together with the PR 110 kit in.
for the break in period you can tell the battery does not like the hi-comp engine, but it does get it started. there would have been absolutely no hope for the stocker. now that the engine is a little more broken in it fires up within 1~2 cycles.

Last edited by fcwarrior; 03-28-2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: To try to get rid of unsolicited BS ad link by viglink
fcwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

I have the 110 kit and it cranks WAY better than the battery I had in it before. I would constantly lose the tach when starting before but now the light doesn't even dim and the tach stays strong. I highly recommend this battery so far, but I have only had it for 2 months.

On a second note the foam inserts on the screw nuts are awesome. Those little foam inserts hold the nuts in place so you can get the screws in no problem. This is the kind of little thing that goes a long way toward making your customers happy when they receive your product. That 2 cent add on will make me buy another battery from them anytime.
Jbuttke1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > Product Reviews