HOW TO: Engine Oil Change - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2002, 05:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Default HOW TO: Engine Oil Change

1) Remove the engine drain bolt located on the bottom left-hand side
of the engine and the spin-on oil filter located near the rightside
footrest
2) Remove the oil tank drain bolt underneath the right side next to
the rear shock
3) After all of the oil has drained, install a new oil filter and reinstall the drain bolts.
4) Fill the oil tank with 2500cc (2.6 qts.) of the specified oil.
5) Start the engine and idle the engine for 15 seconds.
Shut the engine off and top off the oil tank with the remaining amount of specified oil.
You may have to repeat this step again until the oil level settles.

[img]/files/tips/oil-engine-drain.jpg[/img]Engine Drain

[img]/files/tips/oil-tank-drain.jpg[/img] Tank Drain

*This procedure is how it is recomended by the service manual*
carknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2002, 11:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: HOW TO: Engine Oil Change

I'd be interested in hearing what tool you used to get the 17mm engine crankcase drain bolt loose for the first oil change? Mine seems to have been put on by the Amazing Hulk or something, could not get it loose with a 12 point closed end wrench, and there is no clearance for a socket wrench.

So I picked up a Kobalt 6 point 17mm closed end wrench on the way home today, couldn't find any six point crowfoot wrenches which I figured would give me the most torque with a big-ass ratchet. Hope this 6 point wrench does the trick.
stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2002, 10:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to pigdog

i bought a cheap 17mm open end box wrench at kragen, held the box end against the drain bolt & marked where it rubed against the engine then ground it down on the bench grinder until it fit.
pigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2002, 12:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

OK, I picked up the Larin low profile motorcycle jack at Sam's Club, that made it easy to get enough clearance to get some leverage on the 6 point combination Kobalt 17mm wrench to get the job done. That Larin jack is one **** handy thing to have in the garage for $79.

Another interesting tidbit I stumbled upon is that when refilling my bike with oil only put in enough oil to come about 3/4 on the dipstick. When the bike is warmed up and the oil level checked, the level appears to have risen to the full mark. Guess it would have overflowed if filled to the top right off!
stiletto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2003, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just love this website pictures picture pictures
jspencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2003, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Just stumbled onto the info for changing my Warrior's oil and transfer case fluid. Some real good information here. This weekend is supposed to be in the low 70s here in souther Oklahoma and I plan to spend the every possible minute on my bike...but first I have to complete my first service (the manual says the first fluid change should be at 600 miles...I'm at 780mi. Oops.) I had a few questions that appear to have been answered by the info here. Thanx.

Splat!
Splat_the_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 07:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just changed my oil for the first time yesterday. I also went over the 600 miles, like Splat the Cat, I am guilty of 700+ miles. One question I had though. As I thumbed through the owners manual it never mentions changing the oil in the tank drain, (the bold near the rear shock), but I drained it anyways cause I new CarKnee would not send me to stray. But my question is now that I have done this, am I required to fill up with the 5.3 quarts specified in a completely empty tank?
BorderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 12:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Can I be safe in assuming that changing the oil on the Warrior is almost, if not exactly, like changing the oil on my 2001 RoadStar? I think this is a stupid question, but it may help others that might want to ask the question in the future that have converted over such as I have?
MedicFF0879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2003, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes, I had a B&^%$ of a time getting the crankcase drain bolt out on my Road Star. I ground down a 17mm wrench to get the job done, but I replaced the stock plug with a plug that has a 14mm head on it. I had absolytely no problem getting the plug back in and I mow ha plenty of clearance for using standard tools.

Scupper-J
Scupper-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

CarKnee: Excellent job. Pictures is the best way. Wonder why I can't see this before?

Suggestion: Repeat this topic for all new ones. Ophsss. I think that replying will do it. Thanks anyway.
Penzoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Library Section > How To's and General Maintenance Tips