RS Warrior Forum banner

Will this work?

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  scawein 
#1 ·
I am making a new turn signal that has a white light in the center (LED, CREE).

I have drawn this circuit and am wondering if this will work. I know just enough to usually get myself in trouble, so I thought I would ask the gang.

1. R1 and R2 will be load so the riding lights have the same current as the incandescent bulb (act like the load eq's they sell)
2. Pulling 6.7vdc for the riding lights. I am okay with the riding lights being dimmer than stock.
3. When I turn on my blinkers, will I have ~18vdc going to the LED's?
4. Is R3 (1kohm) suitable for the LED's as a current limiting resistor
Here is the link to the LED's I am using
5mm Yellow High Flux LED | Component LEDs | Super Bright LEDs
5. The Zener Diodes are 9 amp capable with only a .42 forward voltage drop, I believe these are 'bigger' than I need but.......

I will probably use one of these for the CREE LED:
3A Adjustable step down switching voltage regulator

Being a fun project so far, any input from anyone would be appreciated.
Will it work?
What would be better?
Have I been drinking too much coffee?......lol

Thanks guys...............

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks good.... but I'm just beginning in circuit building so I could be off.

I'd give it a trial run and see how it works.

I don't think you'll be hitting the amber LEDs with 18v... I'm pretty sure you'll only get the current line voltage.. 13-14vdc.

Meh.. worth a trial run!?

#6 ·
ExpressPCB - Free PCB layout software - Low cost circuit boards - Top quality PCB manufacturing

very simple program.....

I just tested with 12vdc and 24vdc. I was thinking of the 6/12v relationship to achieve a difference with the same LED's.

12/24 works wayyyyyy brighter than 6/12.....I have 5 on a breadboard with the lens sitting over it, looking pretty good. Once I get it blinking, I hope I see enough of a difference. If not, I will use a relay to turn off the riding lights while blinking.

At this point they don't look very different but I will play with the current limiting resistor.

12v

24v

#10 ·
Okay, I think I have this reduced the circuit to it's minimum. This circuit (thread) probably should have been listed with my turn signal thread (senior moment) Here is that thread:
http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/14-...s-accessories/183454-turn-signal-upgrade.html

I want to use ALL LED's for both turn signal and riding lights.

With this simple circuit, they will blink on/off when turn signals are used. The relay will simply turn them off. I can use the same riding light circuit to run my CREE LED. At 1.5amps, the CREE will act as my load equalizer.

Circuit (well actually just a picture of a relay and a couple of lines, elegance in simplicity.....lol)

Board for mounting in the turn signal bucket. (I love perf board)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.