RS Warrior Forum banner

Belt chirp at low rpm.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  gchalifo 
#1 ·
In august my 07 started making a chirping noise if I am pulling low rpms. Bellow 2000. If I give it more gas it goes away. At first we thought it was dust and dew on the belt because it won't do it all the time. Doesn't matter if the belt is clean or dirty it does what it does. Only can get it to make the sound when riding it, not on stand. How worried do I need to be and where do I start. I'm not a mechanic keep in mind. Lol Thanx guys.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 · (Edited)
Get a ten-pound belt tension gauge and a copy of the service manual. Print the belt tension and rear wheel alignment pages, then read them twice because sometimes steps are scanned-over or it sounds confusing the first time.

Then raise the rear wheel off the ground and loosen the belt. Then re-adjust it to spec in sequence using the tension gauge and starting from the pulley's 'tightest spot' as shown in the service manual. Tension the belt while you also align the rear wheel.

Why: Its generally true that you should be able to remove the rear axle without loosening the belt tension if the tension is previously correctly set, but working in reverse to simply adjust the belt tension so you can remove the axle leaves far too much room for the belt to be too loose and for the rear wheel to be mis-aligned.

#4 ·
my belt chirps just like you have described. it has for almost two years now. pulling around a gas pump to get to the other side, that kind of thing. it seems to happen more if i've been riding at speed for a while. i wouldn't argue with the others guys, but my belt is way too loose, so make sure to post up what you find.

#5 · (Edited)
Not unlike many other warrior owners, I have pulled my rear wheel what feels like a thousand times. I finally went to the manual, and got myself a tension guage. Still it "chirped". The manual states if I am not mistaken, that the tension gets checked with the belt at "slack", ie, rool the wheel forward, then roll it slightly backward, you'll see the belt go slack, assuming of course that it is totally not over tightened!

Tension is one thing, but alignment is also critical. Also, a clean belt is helpful. When you wash you bike, get that rear wheel off the ground, and use some soapy water and slowly spin the wheel, washing all the grit and grime off of it. You'll be surprised.

If all else fails, and you are aligned, tensioned properly and clean, I keep a bar of soap in my tool box, and every once in a while, I spin the rear wheel and hold that bar of soap against the outer and inner edge of the belt. "CHIRP GONE".....

oh!, AND IT must be irish spring OF COURSE....cause my wife likes it too! ;)

#10 · (Edited)
Gary, Re-visit the SERVICE MANUAL for the exact steps: start from the TIGHTEST spot not the loose slack spot. If you start from the loose slack spot your belt will chirp.

Here's something that wasn't known in the 'early days' so its a seemingly rare example of something to double-check if you read an older thread: these belts on new bikes were installed by the local delivering dealer not by the factory. It was and sorta still is stereotypical of us to say they are ALL delivered loose. Some delivering dealers actually did read Page 14 of the assembly manual and actually followed the steps. Some did not. Dealers and shops are more tuned-in today but still we all need to read every step because we cannot trust that any individual dealer or shop will set-up our belt correctly even after a tire change.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.