RS Warrior Forum banner

Avon tires cracked

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Greg99a 
#1 ·
So my tires are a little over a year old, and I noticed this today. It's on both sides of the rear tire only. Any suggestions?

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
what is the production date on the tires? one side of the tire will have a longer dot number the last four are the production date. example= 4816 is the 48 week of 2016

the speed rating is right w 168mph

the load rating on that tire is 73 which is good for 805lb, that is low for me taste.
the last mc tire i had was 75 load rating for 853lb.

now that i went to the darkside the load rating id 94 for 1477lb and is xl rated so it has a reinforced sidewall

#9 ·
Weird. I've seen it happen with true sport-oriented tires after riding in cold weather, the compound on them just isn't designed for that kind of thermal shock and they split, they're designed for warmer conditions. Not sure why your Avon's would do that though if the pressure was appropriate.

#11 ·
So I think I have figured out the issue, although I only bought / installed the tires about a year and a half ago, I must not have paid attention to the date code when I bought them. Date code is 1911. And also thinking about it, I have rode quite a bit this winter, sometimes when it was extremely cold out.
So between the cold temps, and older date code, the tires must have just given up.

#18 ·
In the DOCUMENTATION FORUM there is a printable PDF Avon warranty form that can be used for any purchase even online. Print one and fill it in then go to any local Avon dealer with the form in hand. The tire will be replaced unless you bought it from a private party and even then they sometimes do it anyway. This is not normal and cold weather likely does NOT play a part.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.