Researching before buying - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2012, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Mot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 10
Default Researching before buying

Names Tom, got a couple of Warriors I've got my eyes on right now. Just looking around the site gathering all of the information I can before purchasing. Come from a sport bike background and would like to get a cruiser this time and not a fan of a harley rattling itself apart. If that's your thing, more power to ya. Got a Lance Evo that takes all of my "put back together time".

Looking forward to learning more about these bikes.
Mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LeaderDuece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 10,742
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Welcome to the forum. Give us some details about the bikes and we will tell you which is the best deal.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Mot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 10
Default

the first is from a friend that is going overseas. It's an 08, has a powercommander and custom air intake, has 20000 miles and an exhaust leak. haha. the second I'm not sure on the year but has been rebuilt but needs a new seat and possible basic maint. The craigslist links are;

2008 yamaha road star warrior
Yamaha warrior 1700cc Cruiser
Mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bubbs's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 320
Default

First off welcome. I think that your buddies bike is a pretty good deal. But those are terrible pics in the CL ad . As far as the other bike it seems to good to be true which normally means a scam. Good luck with your search.
bubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LeaderDuece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 10,742
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Both are good deals. The first one has a cone intake on the side, but you should know the side intake is optional, so that's not really a big deal - many guys don't have anything on the side. Midnights are always more desirable. I'm sure you could fix the exhaust leak - those look like rhinehart pipes. They don't make those anymore.

I've never seen a Warrior for 3 grand, and he says he's open to bids. Kind of makes me wonder. Still, that leaves a lot of room for modding. It's a 2002 or 2003 model. Not that it really matters. It has a couple of nice mods on it.

On the one hand, who can pass up a 3 grand Warrior, but on the other hand, 5 grand for an 08 Midnight is a pretty good deal. I'm cheap, but in this case I think I'd take the Midnight.

I'd almost buy both and flip the older one...


Edit: I was completely wrong about Midnights. And I have been properly chastised about it. Good luck with your purchase.

Last edited by LeaderDuece; 11-25-2012 at 08:22 PM.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Jbat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,371
Default

The 08 looks like a nice deal. The 02? could be a fantastic deal depending on what it needs. The guy says rebuilt with new internals but leaves details out. Which makes me wonder what happened and what has been done, or does it simply have the necessary transmission recall done and the guy has no clue what he is talking about.
__________________
"life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "wow! what a ride!"


I don't know what's gonna happen, man, but I'm gonna get my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames-Jim Morrison
Jbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Mot
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Crestview, FL
Posts: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbat View Post
Which makes me wonder what happened and what has been done, or does it simply have the necessary transmission recall done and the guy has no clue what he is talking about.

That's what I was gathering when he said internals. Probably gonna throw my buddy an offer this week. I really like the look of the midnight as well. Thanks for all of the input fellas!!
Mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
bruce59's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Halifax , Nova Scotia
Posts: 4,675
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
Both are good deals. The first one has a cone intake on the side, but you should know the side intake is optional, so that's not really a big deal - many guys don't have anything on the side. Midnights are always more desirable. I'm sure you could fix the exhaust leak - those look like rhinehart pipes. They don't make those anymore.

I've never seen a Warrior for 3 grand, and he says he's open to bids. Kind of makes me wonder. Still, that leaves a lot of room for modding. It's a 2002 or 2003 model. Not that it really matters. It has a couple of nice mods on it.

On the one hand, who can pass up a 3 grand Warrior, but on the other hand, 5 grand for an 08 Midnight is a pretty good deal. I'm cheap, but in this case I think I'd take the Midnight.

I'd almost buy both and flip the older one...
Disagree that midnights are more desirable. I for one prefer the contrasts that chrome , black and tin colors achieve and think they show off the Warriors lines and features much more than the blacked out version.
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LeaderDuece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 10,742
Blog Entries: 11
Default

I don't personally own one, or like Midnights more than stock ones.

But if they aren't more desirable, why do people pay more for them?

While you and I may not like them more, that doesn't mean to a lot of people they aren't more desirable.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
LeaderDuece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Clarksville, Tennessee
Posts: 10,742
Blog Entries: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mot View Post
That's what I was gathering when he said internals. Probably gonna throw my buddy an offer this week. I really like the look of the midnight as well. Thanks for all of the input fellas!!

BTW - any recalls are still honored for all years of the Warrior. Sometimes it's actually nicer to get a bike that hasn't had the recalls done. You can get extra work done for just about the price of parts.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Info > The Welcome Mat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0
RSWarrior.com is an independent Yamaha enthusiast website. Content on RSWarrior.com is generated by its users and RSWarrior.com is not in any way affiliated with Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A.