exhaust gasket?! - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default exhaust gasket?!

ok, im in the middle of sandblasting my pipes to give them their annual matte finish..... problem. this ring that i THOUGHT was just a seal/gasket that sat between the block's outlet and the pipe's beginning, was actually a woven wire ring

(like this)

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/at...ded-gasket.jpg

and it was apparently painted black like the pipes, but it looks like it may have actually just been PLASTERED with carbon/exhaust?? idk wat to make of it. do i just stick that wire ring back in once im ready to start cooking the paint??

~ please, NOT asking for painting tips fyi, not my first rodeo. ONLY asking about the nature of this wire ring, thx ~

CLICK THE REDIRECT NOTICE BELOW

Redirect Notice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

They are just exhaust gaskets. Depending on there condition you can just reuse them.

Bob
33489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The gasket you pictured fits on the stock header collector between the muffler and the collector. It can generally be re-used a few times. They are available from Yamaha if the muffler section won't seal or flops around.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Its shown as Item #47 in this drawing (ignore the arrows which indicate items discussed elsewhere).

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 04-15-2012 at 05:18 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerWarrior View Post
ok, im in the middle of sandblasting my pipes to give them their annual matte finish..... problem. this ring that i THOUGHT was just a seal/gasket that sat between the block's outlet and the pipe's beginning, was actually a woven wire ring

CLICK THE REDIRECT NOTICE BELOW

Redirect Notice
The Yamaha OEM 2-bolt exhaust flange gaskets are as shown below except that they are copper clad on both sides as a sandwiched assembly. Part No. 3EG-14613-00-00

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok, but what i am left with now is JUST the wire woven cirlce as seen in those pictures, before i blasted them tho, not to my knowledge, they were like a perfect circular ring. they were black. black with carbon??? or can i just put it back in just as the wire weave i see now?
Old 04-15-2012, 05:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

If the gaskets in question are for the 2-bolt head pipe as per my reply ... replace them!

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

listen to alan he is a smart man.. just had to change mine.. they are cheap
round207warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I took this from a stripped exhaust stud thread and was a reply by AZ. Don't mess around and change them.

g

The nuts for the front studs should be torqued to only 14 foot pounds (20nm).
The bolts for the rear header to jug torque to 17 foot pounds (24nm).
These numbers assume you are installing new header-to-jug crush gaskets.
Using new gaskets means the crushing-action seals at this light torque.
If you re-use gaskets then greater torque is required to seal. Guess what
happens when you over-torque by too much? The aluminum threads pull.
This is why I keep new gaskets on hand for the header-to-jugs, and for
the two motor oil drain plugs, and for the spark plugs.

1256day is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

and as said above, they are cheap and probably in stock
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions