Exhaust & front fork seals - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2013, 02:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exhaust & front fork seals

Okay, since you guys did so well on my first posting (keys), I'm going to toss two more at you:

1) I bought the bike used (two weeks ago) and the original owner was pretty cool, but not very well organized. He didn't remember what brand of exhaust pipes he had put on. I've looked all over the pipes and can't see any kind of identifying markings. I've posted two pictures of the bike (yes, it needs cleaning - been riding to work) for you guys to take a look at. I even looked at images of bikes on Google Images to see if I could match, with no luck.

2) The front fork lower dust seals are dry rotted and cracked. I asked the guys at the local dealership about how much to replace and their number is pushing $400. Obviously they are bending me over almost every way here. I can get the dust and oil seals for less than $30 and the oil for around $20. My question is this a job that someone who is modestly mechanically inclined with a decent collection of tools do, or do you need specialty tools and superior mechanical knowledge to replace these seals?

Thanks again.

Oh yeah...ignore the cheasy-a*s crate attached to the back. We are having a pre-Thanksgiving deal at work and I need more carry space than the small duffel bag I normally strap to the backrest. I am in the process of ordering some leather saddlebags, but until then, a milk crate will have to do. Feel like I'm riding in Kentucky or someplace like that (no offense intended to the Kentucky riders on this forum, either).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	41225   Click image for larger version

Name:	bike2.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	428.5 KB
ID:	41233  

Last edited by DesertRider; 11-27-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: forgot something
DesertRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 05:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think those are Hard Krome pipes. But I'm not an expert on HKs. As far as I know, forks aren't a specialty tool type job, but I've never done it so...

Bump.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

As far as the forks go, how mechanically inclined you are is important. I received a similar quote from my dealer. That motivated me. I replaced my fork seals myself a few months ago. The service manual is the best guide. You will need a few special tools, like a spring compressor, a fork seal tool to seat the seal, and a tool to measure the amount of oil you put in. I made my own spring compressor and bought the rest. If I bought everything, it would still be cheaper than the dealer, and I own the tools. Do a search on the forum. I found it helpful, and other members will surely chime in. Good luck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

DesertRider .... Here's a couple of How To's that don't require taking the cartridge spring apart. You can come from the bottom of the fork leg using an impact wrench if req'd and new crush washers.gl

- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 11-28-2013 at 11:45 AM.
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yea those are hardkrome exhaust I have those myself .hey by the way did u buy ur bike here in the valley cause I swear some months ago I met a guy with a warrior exactly the same in Palm desert at a gad station.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Get that sticker off yer swingarm...makes you look like a kentuckuan.. ;-)

parkinglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hard krome I had the same ones in black and loved them man I wish I still had mine

joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, again for the responses and input. Great suggestions that will save me a ton of money and not be giving it to that freakin' dealership (who I am told is run by a real jerk).

Desertboy - I got my bike from a guy in Chatsworth. I have no idea how far and wide he rode though.

Parkinglot - it took me a minute to figure out what you were referring to. The sticker comes off first thing in the morning.
DesertRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinglot View Post
Get that sticker off yer swingarm...makes you look like a kentuckuan.. ;-)
Which one?

DARK MIDKNIGHT WARRIOR
Check out the DIY MOD LISTfor many free, cheap, easy Mods!! You will be glad you did!
Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread New Member FAQ
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

Lol..you know which one.....I remember back when I joined the forum and posted a pic of my bike..Oldman crawled up my a about that sticker...so I'm just carrying on the tradition!!

parkinglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions