Oil Leak - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I've been getting used to a new to me 05 Warrior with 16k miles. Naturally, the first thing I did was an oil change. I used a Purolator ONE filter. It leaked in the manner discussed in this thread. I got a new OEM filter and replaced the Purolator. At normal filter tightness (contact plus 3/4 turn) it too leaked, though not as badly. I got another filter and a filter wrench (I had damaged the filter tightening it enough to get it to stop leaking.) and put the filter on monster tight. No significant leakage, but I don't like that much tight on an oil filter.

I found that the face of the Purolator is convex rather than concave, much like the non-ST Bosch being discussed here. The Yamaha filter is much more concave. The Purolator filter had a very noticeable circular scrape on the face. The Yamaha filter I removed had slight marring in the same place.

It appears the filters are contacting the large bolt inside the filter well on the engine. This is listed as #18 bolt union 90401-20007-00 on the parts fiche. I've ordered this part and intend to bevel the nut portion a bit to try and either prevent or lessen contact.

Meanwhile I'll be looking for one of the ST3323 Bosch filters to see how it works.
The Bosch is actually purolator. Make sure it's the black labeled Bosch as shown. If not all you have to do is tap the head down some and it'll be fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Rob could you post this info please, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rij1 View Post
. . . and the white labels ones will work but with a small easy modification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rij1
If not all you have to do is tape the head down some and it'll be fine.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 08-14-2019 at 11:21 PM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #23 (permalink)

I happen to find a black labeled filter. I also ordered what I thought was a black labeled filter which turned out to be a white labeled one. Do not order these filters by depending on the advertised picture Though I will still use the white labeled one.

My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036

Old 08-14-2019, 11:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

When I buy the Bosch filter with either white label or black label..
I always check the filter for concave

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
Rob could you post this info please, thanks.
Ill see if i can get to it soon. I'll take more pics of both and of the white labeled modified.

My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
Old 08-15-2019, 12:48 AM   #26 (permalink)

I decided to try one of these. Not cheap it's a taller filter but according to bosh specs It has the best filtering capabilities of their entire line. Absolutely no leaks this is the 2nd one I've had on the bike.

I do amsoil between 4 and 5000 miles never more than 5000.

It's the D3323 The D is for distance.

https://youtu.be/Is3drJ1KMAA

this guy did a cut open on all 3
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190814_215911_1565845205329.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	217020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190814-214427_eBay_1565845219587.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	217022  

Last edited by insaneduane; 08-15-2019 at 01:21 AM.
insaneduane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:10 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good news thanks I will try one too.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:18 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks. I have 2 of the 3323 white label and they observably have less concave shape. If i can use them it's better than tossing them. Plus I have a feeling that into the future this thread will be pointed-out for others having the same questions and troubles. It would be good to have a couple pics of the solution so anyone from any country will understand the fix.

I still have not been able to get a Bosch reply to my website inquiry about the 3323's sudden tendency to leak for lack of adequate concave shape like it had before their change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rij1 View Post
Ill see if i can get to it soon. I'll take more pics of both and of the white labeled modified.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:22 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by insaneduane View Post
I decided to try one of these. Not cheap it's a taller filter but according to bosh specs It has the best filtering capabilities of their entire line. Absolutely no leaks this is the 2nd one I've had on the bike.

I do amsoil between 4 and 5000 miles never more than 5000.

It's the D3323 The D is for distance.

https://youtu.be/Is3drJ1KMAA

this guy did a cut open on all 3
The problem is the newer designs on the head base' s not being concaved enough to screw on and seal the gasket tight enough. The good black labeled 3323 filters are still out there but have been fading away while being over taken by the newer 3323's. If those D3323 weren't as popular as the regular 3323's it may be a while till there faded out aswell. Maybe I'll take a trip to the auto parts store and compare the 2 3323's I have. Btw, For me and many it was the filter being black that made it popular here (on top of quality and cost)

My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Frequently Asked Warrior Questions