190 -vs- 200 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 10:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 190 -vs- 200

So what do you all think (or know), is there any benefit to running a 190 instead of a 200 rear tire? I have always had a 200 on my '07 with not much luck with getting any decent amount of mileage out of it. Although, I do live on a very twisty rural road and I don't ride very slow most of the time.

Thanks for your help,
Rock Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

I personally think it turns in a bit quicker than the 200. I'm not sure everyone would notice the difference but I also live in the twisties and can definitely tell the difference. Added benefit is its cheaper. Much cheaper in most cases. Try it. You may not get more mileage but at least you'll save a few bucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
April 27th - May 4th
jdpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Search Function: The #1 site for the Yamaha Road Star Warrior. - Search Results for 190 tire

Newest thread: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-t...rear-tire.html

I am 95% sure I am going to a 190 tire next year. So I've been doing a lot of reading as of late. Many benefits with a 190 from a handling aspect, and as jd said... cheaper.

Last edited by 07midnight57; 07-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-27-2011, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I think I am convinced too. I am getting close to needing a rear, so am looking at the Pilot Road 2.
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 03:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

190:

Cheaper
Better and larger selection of tires
Better turn in
Last longer and wear is more even
Most people cannot tell the minor difference in size visually

190 in action:

rx_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to robriguez

IMO, because of the rear fender, anything smaller than a 240 looks a bit skinny. Having said that, I noticed right away that the 190 was even skinny-er. But that is the only bad thing i can say about it.

I dragged azz ordering a new tire. Next thing i knew i had cords showing. I needed to get to work on Monday (the bike is my only transport right now) I called everyone within 30 miles of me (in NJ thats HUGE). Everyone and their mother has multiple brand/model 190/50/17 tires in stock, the ONLY people to have a 200/50/17 were the 2 Yammi dealers and they both wanted $220 for the stock Dunlop D220. So, called the shop back with the best price on the 190 Roadsmart ($150) and here i am.

I put the Roadsmart on about 3k miles ago (4 months ago) and the "flickability" is improved. I thought maybe I didnt put something back together right at first but no, it was the tire. Ive just started noticing a slight flat spot in the center and it has tons of tread left. If it weren't for the fender being so wide i dont think i would ever go back to a 200.

robriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

If you ride the twisties the 190 is the way to go.
Crown Custom Conversions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have been running 190s for my last two tires, they are great. I couldn't get more than 2500 miles out of the factory Bridgestones so I switched to the Michelin Pilot Road, then to the Pilot Road 2. I got about 6k out of the Pilot Road and right now I have 5k on the pilot road 2 and I will probably get about 6k before I have to change it. The bigest difference is it gives you a wider contact patch for hard launches. The difference I noticed with the dual compound is they stick like glue in the corners. I ran my pilot road 2 at the dragon with my wife on the back and when we got to the overlook in Tenn I noticed the edges of the tires looked like track tires. They really heated up and bit into the road. I was coming out of curves 55-60 and they never faultered even riding two up. I was impressed and I will definately buy another set.
warrior04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is great information. I too like the wirer tire due to the wide rear fender. But maybe I'll try a 190 just for fun in the mountains.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm a fan of the 190's also.

sangathor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion