I just cut open a stock '08 exhaust... - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default I just cut open a stock '08 exhaust...

I don't see a catalytic convert in there. It's just 3 chambers and a few tubes connecting them. With the end cut off, I can see right through the two chambers. This kinda surprises me, since the bike has an AIS which I thought needed a cat to burn up the pollutants.

Also, with the end cap off, it doesn't look like all the old pictures of the water heater mod, it's different.
Zaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeOlmt

OOohh Sweeeeeettt!!!

Can you post some pics of where you cut and what it looks like inside!!!????

I wanna mod the stock can too, but need some input on how... I wanna do it differently than what's been described so as to maintain a decent level of quiet, but add some deep rumble.

If you could post pics... I'd be much obliged!!

Mike
MikeOlmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

Pics...pics...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride warriors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
strud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to robriguez

no warrior has ever had a cat.

robriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
no warrior has ever had a cat.
News to me and very surprising. I thought all bikes after maybe 03 or 04 had catalytic converters.

I always thought a bike with AIS had to have a cat to be effective. The whole point of the extra air was assist the cat with burning off pollutants.

The next thought that pops into my mind - with no cat, the stock bike has to be running SUPER lean to meet emissions. I bet an ECO bump has a big effect even on a stock bike and probably cools down a hot running bike too.

I'll post some pics of the exhaust insides tomorrow.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:44 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to akitadog

The AIS injects air into the exhaust ports to burn any leftover unburned fuel coming out.

http://www.auto-repair-help.com/auto..._injection.php
akitadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

no cats..just air to burn off fuel in the exhaust...one of the reasons OZ banned warriors in 2006

The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride warriors
strud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

No Cat in the Warrior exhaust (which may have lead to it's demise here in the states, couldn't meet emmisions regs?). Does the Roadliner / Raider or the rest of the Star line have cats in the exhaust?

They started using AIS on cars long before Cat's were introduced.
2007 FZ1
1978 Suzuki GS1000
BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here we have the back after I cut it off, and a couple pics on the inside. One you can see right through. I was considering rebuilding the insides to a straight through design but the inside baffle dividers appear hard to get out. I'll probably give it another shot someday but I've got a Yoshimura can to try getting on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa090008.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	417.5 KB
ID:	4303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa090009.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	4304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pa090010.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	4305  
Old 10-09-2011, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOlmt View Post
OOohh Sweeeeeettt!!!

Can you post some pics of where you cut and what it looks like inside!!!????

I wanna mod the stock can too, but need some input on how... I wanna do it differently than what's been described so as to maintain a decent level of quiet, but add some deep rumble.

If you could post pics... I'd be much obliged!!

Mike
If you follow the stock exhaust mod as described in the threads found on the forum, phase 1 will give you a bit more rumble and phase 2 will give even more. I did both phases and after having followed 60ftgap with his aftermarket pipes I can tell you that even with phase 2 it can still be considered quiet. I find that I now have a nice deep rumble sound compard to the stock without modification yet not too loud so as to P*** off the neighbours or attract unecessary attention from the cops. It is so to say a happy medium. You can do phase i try it and if you want more go to phase 2.

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

Last edited by christok; 10-09-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling
christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion