Dry Break O-ring replacement? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2016, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dry Break O-ring replacement?

Where is the quickest and easiest place to get an O-ring for the tank side under seat dry break? I need one like right now!

I'm at the DMV registering the Warrior i just got delivered today. It was shipped with the main tank empty. I filled it up and headed down to the DMV. When I got here i saw that a steady stream of gas was running down the side. I unclipped the under seat drybreak and can see the broken spot in the tank side O-ring.

I have the drybreak unplugged right now, so it doesn't dump the whole 3 gallons out while I'm waiting at the DMV.

I need to get a new O-ring ASAP.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you know the size, any auto parts store. I bought a awesome kit of many sizes, many in each size, at Harbor Freight for something like 20 bucks.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
If you know the size, any auto parts store. I bought a awesome kit of many sizes, many in each size, at Harbor Freight for something like 20 bucks.
I'm hoping I can find something like that. I just got off the phone with the Yamaha dealership parts department. They can order one, but it will take like a week. I'd really like it fixed before I have to ride it home, about 20 miles away.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Old 08-20-2016, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Remove the one you have and match it at Napa auto.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Some years ago in a thread here I read a documented repair was successful using Viton 3/4 x 9/16 x 3/32 o-rings for stock dry breaks (Size #113) so I bought a few to have on-hand just in case. Most auto part stores have them in Viton. Turns out Buna-N and Nitrile seem to work just as well (and are in the same family of materials its just that Viton is a patented name). Home Depot for Buna-N or Nitrile. If they are nicked during install they will tear in a short while. Some use WD40 brand as lube to set the o-ring then squirt an extra dab of WD40 into the female end and gently click the dry break halves back together until there's an audible click.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 08-20-2016 at 08:21 PM.
arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I went to an O'reilly auto, 'cause it was closest. They had one of the kits behind the counter and got me one O-ring from it that worked for $1.66. The problem is solved.

Unfortunately, on the way home it had a MAJOR leak from the gas tank. Like in this thread:

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-t...ease-read.html

The hose fell completely out and drenched my left leg and the left side of the bike in gas. I pulled over and got the nipple stuffed back in. It only leaks a little bit now. Gotta fix that.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Old 08-20-2016, 11:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

D a m n, it just wasn't your day.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Usually when we notice a fuel leak thread and its creator has not already included the events in our record thread, we ask 'em to add their story too. If you would, you can add your leaks into the thread. It houses these in one place so if an opportunity arises we can go to back to Yamaha again: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/12-g...fuel-leak.html

That thread is intended to also house uploaded files (jpg's, pdf's) so even if a Forum software change occurs the images will remain part of the record. The the Go Advanced button and then Manage Attachments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzman View Post
Where is the quickest and easiest place to get an O-ring for the tank side under seat dry break? I need one like right now!

I'm at the DMV registering the Warrior i just got delivered today. It was shipped with the main tank empty. I filled it up and headed down to the DMV. When I got here i saw that a steady stream of gas was running down the side. I unclipped the under seat drybreak and can see the broken spot in the tank side O-ring.

I have the drybreak unplugged right now, so it doesn't dump the whole 3 gallons out while I'm waiting at the DMV.

I need to get a new O-ring ASAP.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Bump.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
Usually when we notice a fuel leak thread and its creator has not already included the events in our record thread, we ask 'em to add their story too. If you would, you can add your leaks into the thread. It houses these in one place so if an opportunity arises we can go to back to Yamaha again: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/12-g...fuel-leak.html

That thread is intended to also house uploaded files (jpg's, pdf's) so even if a Forum software change occurs the images will remain part of the record. The the Go Advanced button and then Manage Attachments.

Done.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion