DIY Installs - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2019, 11:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default DIY Installs

As I wait to get my KlyeNV kit, I have been working on smaller projects, mostly DIY which has been keeping my mind off not having the wide tire kit yet.

I made my own coil relocation plate which was a combination of Akitadogs style and the Barons plate. I also made my own VBAK which was similar to Churchkeys. All in for both was around $100, with the K&Ns making up a lot of that budget. I painted everything with the VHT paint that is similar to the frame color to keep it cleaner looking.

I also didn't like many of the options for the ride side and I don't prefer the stripped down look of nothing on either side of the engine. I decide to make my own intake set up, even though I admit it would be for looks only. I used the intake elbow and rubber ducting from a Road Star to mount the 3" intake pipe. I did read LeaderDeuce's note about adding additional support, so I added a vertical support to the original stock lower mounting bracket as well. All in I probably have $65 in parts, but I like the beefier look then the ones I have seen on eBay, and have also heard they have cracked too.

I also installed the dry break upgrade, big thanks to the videos of Life of Bryan, as I followed his process, but went with all black fittings and hoses for a sleek look. I also want to keep the side scope on that side, and the dry break sits right above it.

I need to install new drag bars that I purchased as well, but should they have came with bolts and or instructions? I have seen the Redhorse Barons install so I can follow that, but it also mentions the bolts from the new bars. Am I just missing this stuff with a brand new bar purchase?

With Game of Thrones and the "winter is coming" comments for the final season, I feel like I am more excited that Summer is coming to get out and ride again!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6281.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	214182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6308.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	214184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6310.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	214186   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6311.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	214188  
SlowboyMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2019, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Bumping to see if anyone had feedback/insight on the bars and the bolts. I have heard other members mention bolts that came with their bars. I just contacted Drag Specialties and they advised you only get the bars, nothing else. Its 1/2x13 bolts but he had no idea on length, even suggesting take my old bars off and then figure out what I need?! Am I crazy, or does this seem off? Thanks for any help on this!
Old 04-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

great write up on your DIY's. your Coil plate looks great.
I myself am a fan of the cleaner engine so your intake doesn't speak to me, but it looks like you put good thought into it, and that you're happy with it.
I'm wondering if you can use your existing hardware /bolts etc for the new bars. have you tried removing your current bars to see if that hardware would work for the new set?

Good luck with getting it sorted out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DesertRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider View Post
great write up on your DIY's. your Coil plate looks great.
I myself am a fan of the cleaner engine so your intake doesn't speak to me, but it looks like you put good thought into it, and that you're happy with it.
I'm wondering if you can use your existing hardware /bolts etc for the new bars. have you tried removing your current bars to see if that hardware would work for the new set?

Good luck with getting it sorted out!
Thanks for the comments, and agree that's the beauty of personalizing these warriors as everyone has their own tastes and interests with them! I am not sure if it's a nut or a bolt on the factory risers as I was trying to prep as much before tearing into it to limit down time. My assumption though was since its a Yamaha, they would be metric bolts/nuts and these bars have SAE threads. I may be wrong though?
Old 04-09-2019, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hey, sounds like you got a lot of work done while waiting. Glad that the videos helped on that left side clean up! As far as the bars go, I am pretty sure mine came with bolts. The original risers have attached bolts, so you'll definitely need something. Sounds like they have you the thread so at least you have that going for you. If you have aftermarket bars already, you could measure the bolts you take out, of measure the riser bolts. They should be right around the same length.
Bryanmcmeekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

I just put 1" risers on my TT bars and had to get 1" longer bolts than what was on them to start. I believe that the originals were 3-1\2" long.

i-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-man View Post
I just put 1" risers on my TT bars and had to get 1" longer bolts than what was on them to start. I believe that the originals were 3-1\2" long.
Thanks! Thats a starting point. I may go buy a few sets incrementally below that as well and hopefully have what I need on hand when I install them. Thanks for the insight on this!
Old 04-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmcmeekin View Post
Hey, sounds like you got a lot of work done while waiting. Glad that the videos helped on that left side clean up! As far as the bars go, I am pretty sure mine came with bolts. The original risers have attached bolts, so you'll definitely need something. Sounds like they have you the thread so at least you have that going for you. If you have aftermarket bars already, you could measure the bolts you take out, of measure the riser bolts. They should be right around the same length.
Hey Bryan! Thanks, its been keeping me busy in the limited spare time I do have! I have watched all of your videos, always helpful and great mix of insight/context/steps in each one.

I already have the aftermarket bars, the manufacture said they don't come with them. Per the other post, I am going to get some and have a few sets on hand when I do it.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #9 (permalink)

Slowboy----were did you get this part from
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190415_155812_1555362032439.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	214390  
Warrior 210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior 210 View Post
Slowboy----were did you get this part from
That picture won't open, so not sure which part you are asking about? Happy to help if you can repost the pic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion