Bad effect of people’s horror stories - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bad effect of people’s horror stories

Great. In the last month not one not two but three of our close friends have had relatives who were in nasty accidents while on their motorcycles. They have to share their story and of course, opinion. I can’t get to the truth of the circumstances of the accidents because emotions. Logic doesn’t matter here anymore. My hard working, loyal, and generally amazing wifey already suffers from anxiety and is not handling it well. Every time I go near the bike it’s a panic attack for her. This really sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 08:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Great. In the last month not one not two but three of our close friends have had relatives who were in nasty accidents while on their motorcycles. They have to share their story and of course, opinion. I can’t get to the truth of the circumstances of the accidents because emotions. Logic doesn’t matter here anymore. My hard working, loyal, and generally amazing wifey already suffers from anxiety and is not handling it well. Every time I go near the bike it’s a panic attack for her. This really sucks.
This year in general has been horrible for bikes. There has been A LOT of it happening. Cagers are getting worse and worse, as well as kids on sport bikes thinking they're invincible. But a lot have actually been cagers fault for not paying attention like they should be. It's really sad but.... you can die walking to your mailbox. I believe if it's your time, it's your time, just be careful and do what you can to avoid it.

Ride safe brother
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:46 AM   #3 (permalink)

my brother quit riding because its gotten bad. im not ready to put it away though.
evilrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrider View Post
my brother quit riding because its gotten bad. im not ready to put it away though.
I know a few that have. I live south of Seattle wa and I refuse to ride up that way. Seattle is one of the worst for bikers imo. Plus I hate it up there after working in Seattle for 6+ years lol
Whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Every time I get relocated by work I've made a habit of finding a place on the outskirts of town for this exact reason. Plus if I can live in a small town nearby it's even better. But it can happen anywhere. I'm not ready to stop riding I love it too much. My extended family might worry but they know if something bad happens that riding is my smile-generator and this particular bike makes me smile more than any other ever has. Just over 50 years with two very early go-downs. I'm just fine. Work has messed with my body far more haha. My point is probably almost every rider over history has done just fine. The injury rate is far lower than it sometimes appears.

In Arizona and Oregon I volunteered for the respective versions of their Governor's initiative for motorcyclist safety. Giving talks sometimes. Mostly handing out their versions of 'watch out for motorcycles' bumper stickers and bar-wall-posters. Its surprising how many small business store-fronts and restaurants allows these stickers to be put on their front doors.

There is more you can do. Re-take
higher level motorcycle safety course. Stay geared-up. Most of all keep riding and smiling because most of us would be less who-we-are if we caved-in. Yep it sux but not as much as giving-up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

Sorry, Stretch. That's tough.

I can't offer any advice. I can only tell you what has helped my wife and her fears when I got back into riding.

1. I point out stupid riders whenever we are driving somewhere together. If we are on the highway and a crotch rocket flies by I point it out. When we are stopped in traffic and a d!ck rides between lanes cutting off everyone I point it out (Note: I realize that is normal in some states but it's illegal here... which means nobody is looking for it... which means one car decides to change lanes and those wankers are going down). I also point out how safer riders put MORE distance between themselves and the car in front of them than they should and point out, "It looks like there's plenty of space for you to squeeze in infront of him... don't. He's being appropriately cautious." She can now SEE a difference between riders that are doing what they can to be noticed/avoid being hit vs riders that are pushing their luck. It also lets her know that I know what it takes to do my part to try to avoid being in a serious accident.

2. I highlight safety equipment. I've shown her how my headlight modulator works and tell her whenever someone pulls over and yells to me, "I think there's something wrong with your headlight, it's flashing like crazy!" (it's happened twice now... and I just smile and say, "Thanks, I'll look at it!"). I just put a blaster-x taillight on my xmas list and will have her buy it for me. I realize that sounds self-serving, but by having her buy it for me she will kinda feel like she is doing something to keep me safer out of the road.

I'm not naive, I know there is only so much we can do to keep ourselves safe on the road. But I think these little things have helped the wife AND reinforced the need for constant safety awareness within myself.

Good luck.
DirtieGirtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

In Russia, there are groups in a social network where they help people who get into accidents and record information. It good for understanding the real quantity of accidents.

But the overall impression is such that it does not matter how carefully you ride, the more you drive, the higher the likelihood of accidents. We say something like this: "who does not ride does never fall."

An accident is always a biger price for a biker than for a car driver. You can think like a military pilot, knowing that everyone wants to bring you down. And even if people donít have such desire, people still do different ****, not having the ability to explain it after. With a magazine in your hands you can't kill, but by a car is easy. Nobody thinks about it. The moto is somewhat different: do we think or not about the consequences, but we bring danger into our life by ourself.

We can certainly live without leaving our home, itís safer, than to ride but boring. Life in this way is a prison. IMO
freeezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 11:03 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks everybody. I’m going to give it a little more time. Hope the emotions settle down a bit and maybe, reason can come back and play. I really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions so keep them coming if you have any more! Sorry to make this a topic it just looks so grim right now.

Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Take it day by day as time truly does heal all.

Good luck bro.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Like stated b4..
It's only normal for love ones to worry about us riding when they hear bad things

Day at a time bro.
Also we all have to be cautious n ride defensively when we're on 2 wheels.....

Also having n wearing riding gear
Can make a world of difference in a bad situation....

I went down 5yrs ago I believe..
Had on my gear and came out if it...
Yeah broken collar bone , but could've been worse....

Ride safe ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion