Phone/GPS holder - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2019, 11:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Phone/GPS holder

Is anyone using Ram Mounts for their phone (RAM® X-Grip® Phone Mount with Handlebar U-Bolt Base
Part# RAM-B-149Z-A-UN7U) I really need to get away from handwritten directions in a ziplock bag taped to my tank for longer trips and am looking for some feedback before dropping $50+ on a phone mount for the bike. I have an old iPhone 6 that will eventually need to be upgraded when it dies, hoping for something that is detachable when not needed for longer direction heavy trips and will obviously hold the phone in the open air at highway speeds etc...
Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

I use a Ram on my sportbike, but on the Warrior I use the one below from Amazon. Works great and easily removed when not needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IC...b_b_asin_title

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
i-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I use a RAM mount on my Warrior for my phone and love it. I also have the mount for my GPS, but rarely use it anymore.
Cannonblast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use the ram mount xgrip with the tough claw and 2" extension.
I like this setup because it allows me to adjust the position of the phone low for when I'm riding normally and high up for when I'm got my tank bag on. And it's removable so it doesn't get stolen stays out of the rain and I can transfer it to another bike if I want.
It holds the phone really well although I have had the phone slip out once or twice at about 100mph, which were not for the charging cord connected I would have lost the phone. The X grip does come with a rubber safety strap you can use which should prevent that but I don't use it maybe I should, but I dont often ride that fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!
Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

I used to use RAM mounts till I almost lost my phone while hitting a bump at 50. Bought a quad lock case and mount and haven’t looked back. It’s a bit expensive, but for the peace of mind, it was worth it.
ERock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-man View Post
I use a Ram on my sportbike, but on the Warrior I use the one below from Amazon. Works great and easily removed when not needed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IC...b_b_asin_title

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I use the same as i-man. Works great and it's only $20 and easily detachable
Cheiko's Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Phone/GPS Holder

I've used the RAM-B-149Z-UN7U with the straps attached at 100mph+ with and without my batwing. It held both my old iPhone 6 and new iPhone Xr without incident. Rock solid … be advised I don't orient the phone to be perpendicular to the ground (maximum wind resistance configuration) but rather tilt it about 45 degrees (where 0 degrees would have the phone totally vertical and 90 degrees would have the phone totally horizontal) and perhaps 35 degrees (matching the sweep of the bars) to the side. I don't necessarily do this for wind resistance though … it is just because I position the mount toward the outside of the bars (just before the second bend). I mention this because I have no idea how well it would hold if you mounted it lower on the bars and swiveled the mount in such a manner that you would maximize wind resistance. Not sure any mount would hold a phone situated like that securely at 120mph without a wind screen of some type.
Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion