Put bad gas HELP - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2019, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Put bad gas HELP

Hi,

Ill start off by saying im an idiot... so now that this is out of the way, id like to get ur help please.

So, gas light came on, and i thought i could make it (was in unfamiliar area, was freezing cold, and just wanted to “go hoooome”). So, gas ran out in the middle of a highway, in a very high traffic area (right off Verrazano bridge). So yea... called my brother, and he had a 5gallon gas can in the back yard (been sitting there for 2yrs, with the nozzle looking inwards... i thought i was sealing tight). Long story short, he comes over, blocks a whole line of traffic during peak hours, and we try to get that gas in (by this point we have the cops and a tow truck right there). Long story short, bike turns over, but wont start... after 15 min, we drain the battery. Cop was nice enough and said they will block our lane, so we can push the bike to one of those pull off areas, to try and figure out whats wrong (we pushed about 1/3 mile, kind of uphill... almost died from being out of breath).
So, at this point we started to think it was veeery bad gas, so we went to a gas station to try and get a syphon, fresh gas and jumper cables. Also grabbed one of those fuel treatment cans. We tried syphoning out, but the tube would not go where we wanted it to (it was 30 degrees), and we didnt really have that much gas in it to begin with (maybe 1 or 2 liters at most). So we put the gas treatment, and full tank of fresh 93. Got the battery hooked up, and.... and spend next 2 hours trying to get the bike to burp all the crap out (there was some smoke coming out of exhaust as we turned over), but we started to freeze and it was getting late, so we called the tow truck... with in between attempts to try and start it. Once or twice, it almost started, but no. So finally the tow truck got there (3 hours after)... oh, why didnt i get the tow truck right away u ask? Was $500 for the tow.

So... what now? The closest mechanics shop is over verrazano ($40 in tolls each time, plus prob another $300-400 to tow it there) (no one in brooklyn wants to work on yamaha cruiser, only harleys... dont ask how i know).

I think that if there was that smoke coming out, the sparks are working... its prob just that shitty gas. Maybe since the water is heavier, it just sank down to the very bottom and i havent burped it all out. But i feel bad for the starter (what a champ, ill raise a glass to this starter after all the work its done today).

Any advice?? I was thinking spraying starter fluid into intake (the thingy on the left side, right?).

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7F63DAAD-7C50-400B-90D0-EC3F611B0843_1573707110802.jpeg
Views:	45
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	218610   Click image for larger version

Name:	E99EA00F-476C-44F4-B16E-1192FDC697B0_1573707119603.jpeg
Views:	41
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	218612   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC760115-64D4-4B29-BFB1-70758AAF3CD0_1573707143959.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	15.1 KB
ID:	218614  
Euroz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2019, 01:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Remove the main tank and pour the gas out.
Remove the reat and locate the lower tank and siphon the gas out from one of the hoses but don't break the plastic nipple on the pump casing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 01:48 AM   #3 (permalink)

You need to get the bad gas out of there and trying to start the bike with starter fluid is really not the way to do it. Especially if there's water in there. If you're not aware there are two fuel tanks on the bike the main metal tank and then the reserve tank under the seat any gas that goes into the main tank will drain into the reserve tank so that's where you've got the water and bad gas.
If I remember correctly, the easiest way to do it will be to disconnect the fuel line coming from the reserve tank that goes to the right side of the bike at the throttle body. turn the key to on and it will pump all the gas out of the reserve tank.

Search on the forum here about how to drain the reserve tank and I bet you'll find it.

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-...fuel-tank.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2007 Graphite/Silver, Churchkey Vbak, Samson StreetSweepers w/ Big City Thunder baffles, AIS Delete, Akitadog coil plate, LCV delete, DynaCoils under tank, Ivans ECU Flash, PCV with Ivans Map, Left side cleanup, Right side horn brake cleanup, 3-full plate clutch mod, BArnett Clutch, Pulley change 33/68, Cyclops 3800 headlight
LOTS of Chrome!

Last edited by Sandytows; 11-14-2019 at 01:54 AM.
Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-2019, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

The intake is not on the left side.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thank you!

I dont want to resurrect the other old thread, so a question.

It says there i have to make sure the main tank is not leaking into reserve tank, how do i do that? Do i need any special tools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytows View Post
You need to get the bad gas out of there and trying to start the bike with starter fluid is really not the way to do it. Especially if there's water in there. If you're not aware there are two fuel tanks on the bike the main metal tank and then the reserve tank under the seat any gas that goes into the main tank will drain into the reserve tank so that's where you've got the water and bad gas.
If I remember correctly, the easiest way to do it will be to disconnect the fuel line coming from the reserve tank that goes to the right side of the bike at the throttle body. turn the key to on and it will pump all the gas out of the reserve tank.

Search on the forum here about how to drain the reserve tank and I bet you'll find it.

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-...fuel-tank.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Euroz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Pull ur seat and unplug the dry break..
It's right next to the Copper idle Screw

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > General Discussion