Shaved motor mount - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shaved motor mount

I was looking for a little feedback or suggestions. I have two concerns on shaving the motor mount. One would be the strength of the mount and the other would be a simple way to attach something to cover the throttle bodies, linkage, etc., that I don't like showing. I've read every left side clean up and motor mount post I could find. I want to keep the mount small, strong and still look good with no cover If I choose. Although it's not finished yet, getting some welding done, I haven't seen it done this way so I hope I'm not copying someone. I think this will work and look very good when finished. Heres a few pics of the work so far.

some of what i don't want to see

used a sawsall to make origional cut, no grinding done yet

template I made that will be welded across the motor mount and the red dots drilled for ataching a bracket.

template sitting on mount. after welding, grinding and painting I think it will look good, be strong and provide a good place to attach a bracket
Dakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Shaved motor mount

Mine looks like your original cut and so far no problemas...
CrumbTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'd get rid of the sharp corners: make a 45deg and move the holes out a little further for your fasteners to clear the mount. This pc will definitely strengthen the assembly when welded [^]

75.89KB

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2006, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Did you do any additional welding? One prob I found is that the motor mount is tucked in so far now the maltese cross I'm installing actually hits the cylinder fins just barely on each side. The added brace will bring it out far enough for clearance without using a bracket to mount things that will be suspect to vibration. Hope this makes sense. It's more of a conveinent mounting for me with a little more strength as a plus. I'll post pics when finished
Old 03-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

AlanH, good idea, i've tried a couple patterns and may weld a piece on and shape it afterwards, for the most part you will not see any of this with the cross on.
Old 03-26-2006, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well after a couple hours work cutting, grinding and welding this is what i came up with. I used the piece I cut off and rewelded back on. It looks real good on the bike but i didn't take a pic yet cause it wasn't painted. If anyones interested I'll post a pic on the bike tomorrow.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
dt

Looks good Dakman. Almost the same cut on mine also. I cleaned up the edges with a dremel and repainted it. I'll put a bead on the inside of where the bracket attaches together when I make it down to Frankenstein's garage one of these days.
dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Looks good to me! Looks better than mine that is for sure!
CrumbTray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

next winter hopefully I'll do my paint job and have it powder coated along with the swingarm and wheels. Here's how it turned out. You hardly notice it when standing back aways with nothing attached. So much more leg room. Makes me think of taking off the speed star scoop on the other side.

Dave, hows it going. We put a good bead along the bottom and along the L across both both sides on the back, I don't think it's going anywhere. BTW, I owe you and Jody for last year in Laughlin. maybe I'll make a trip down to Cali this summer.

Old 03-28-2006, 09:54 AM   #10 (permalink)

Looks fine and dandy!

TAKE THE TIME TO BE A DAD!

metrickkruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion