Suspected bad injector - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suspected bad injector

Front cylinder is dead. Have changed plugs, appear to be getting good spark. Ran the diagnostic check on both injectors and one clicks 5 times (which I assume is normal) and the other one doesn't click at all. You hear it turn on but no clicking. I really dont think I'm getting fuel to the bad cylinder. I can smell gas in the cylinder that is firing, but noting in the dead cylinder. Can the injector be repaired or does it have to be replaced? I've read numerous posts, but haven't found too much on fuel injectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BoilerDeez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to robriguez
Default Re: Suspected bad injector

if its just clogged and not completely dead you can check out this site. They test and completely clean your injectors for only $18 per injector. The guys on another car forum swear this guy is the best. Many of them claim better throttle response, better performance AND better gas mileage. I myself have never tried them due to not having a spare set of injectors and cannot be down without a car for an extended period of time.

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorserv1.php4

From the site:
Quote:
A 9 volt battery can be used to check for stuck injectors, listen for a click. Don't use the car's battery for testing, it can overheat the injector coil, (especially low impedance injectors). Just because an injector "clicks", it doesn't mean that it flows correctly, it just indicates it's not stuck.
If injectors are stuck after sitting for a short time, sometimes a "tap" with a small hammer on the metal body can free it. Don't break anything... I said "tap". If that doesn't work, send them to us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

robriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

you can ohm test the injector and see if the windings inside are bad or if it's just stuck.

if you have continuity the injector is probably ok but stuck(unless you have real high resistance), if you have no continuity the injector is fubar, get a new one.

if it's stuck take it to a injector place and they can clean and flow test it for you or u can soak it in some power tune(mercury marine's works great) and then blow it out w/shopair as you open and close it with a 9V battery,but of course sending it out is much better and safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerDeez

Front cylinder is dead. Have changed plugs, appear to be getting good spark. Ran the diagnostic check on both injectors and one clicks 5 times (which I assume is normal) and the other one doesn't click at all. You hear it turn on but no clicking. I really dont think I'm getting fuel to the bad cylinder. I can smell gas in the cylinder that is firing, but noting in the dead cylinder. Can the injector be repaired or does it have to be replaced? I've read numerous posts, but haven't found too much on fuel injectors. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
swisswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'll check it out. Next question, how do I get them out if I do send them off to be cleaned? Do I have to remove the throttle body? I'm going to give it a tap and see if that makes any difference. Is the clicking the sound of the injector actually opening and closing?
Old 07-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Any idea what resistance a good injector should read? I'm sure its in the repair manual somewhere, just to lazy to look it up. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah the clicking is the opening and closing of the injector.

as far as the resistance goes i'm not exactly sure but i am guessing around 0.4 - 1.0 ohm or so.

should have very little resistance.

hope this helps
Old 07-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Read your service manual, there's other info in the Fuel Injection section you will want to know.

Also look in the table of contents for the troubleshooting section, it'll help you seethe symptoms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerDeez

Any idea what resistance a good injector should read? I'm sure its in the repair manual somewhere, just to lazy to look it up. Thanks.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks. I just swapped them around this evening. Havent completed putting it all back together, but I should finish that tomorrow. Measured the resistance of each injector when I had them out. I believe they were both around 15 ohms. Ran the diagnostic again on each injector and again only one is clicking. A lot of work just to prove out that an injector is bad, but hopefully tomorrow when I finish putting it all back together I'll have a definite answer as to what my problem is. I'll post my results.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)

if one injector is clicking and the other injector doesn't click on the SAME wires , then the injector is bad or stuck for sure.

in other words hook the injectors to the same connectors and try it then hook it to the sec. connector and try it to make sure it is not the wiring harness.

i would've thought they'd have less resistance but since they both have the same resistance i 'd say that should be ok so i am wondering if it is stuck.

has the bike been sitting for awhile?
Old 07-10-2008, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)

I believe it has been. I just bought is a couple of months ago. The guy who sold it to me said he really didn't ride it much lately. If ran fine since I've owned it until just this past weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion