Shortening a set of Big Shots - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2010, 11:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shortening a set of Big Shots

Can I do this? I would get it remapped afterwards.

Will power go up or down making them shorter or change the powerband? (move peak this way or that????)

Thoughts.......

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proper way to check oil level
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Shortening a set of Big Shots

We talked about doing this about 5 or 6 years ago. I have no idea what the consensus was. If you remove the baffles you will loose low end. It will be very noticeable. If I was going to do it I would reposition the crossover as far from the ends of the pipes as possible then move the baffles back an equal amount and call it good. I have my bike loaded inside my trailerso I can't take a look right now. As I recall, you should be able to move things back approx 2 to 3 inches. If that is correct it would be nice because it would allow access to the axle. That would sure be nice. The pipes would be unique and that would also be very nice. I wonder what it would cost to have the cut down heat shields rechromed. That would be the only real expense. Someone remind me once I am down in Texas and I'll look into the cost of the chrome. If it isn't too outrageous I think I'll shorten mine.

I just looked at some pics of mine. I forgot about the bendsin the pipesby the transfer case. You may not be able to move the baffles back very much unless you shorten them.

Everything looks a bit better and your problems don't seem quite so bad from the saddle of a bike! - Jack Conrad

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would keep the baffle, but perhaps shorten it. The pipe sounds awesome without the baffles but that would be way too rude.

It would be easy to shorten the baffle but again I wonder what it might do.

I am pretty sure I will go for it at this point but I will look for more responses to help.

Thanks OldMan

Old 07-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Platinum Sponsor

https://rswarrior.com/forums/p/152751...4.aspx#1170604

this is a set off one of my old bikes. Sounds just like my street sweepers. Lost a good amount of low end just off idle but the bike ran just fine. Would back fire a good amount when downshifting at a high RPM. If I were to keep them I was going to build a custom baffle, or you could always throw a set of Big City baffles in and I'm sure you would be happy.

If you were doing this for power gains I would think this is not the way to go, but if you like the look and want lots of sound these were cool pipes to me.
kylenv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

That is shorter than I was thinking. I might cut 7 inches off them and it is more for looks than power.

Thanks kylenv

Old 07-15-2010, 08:45 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here you go ... taken from an earlier post: Re: pictures of cut down/modified V&H bigshot exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxape

I cut my Big Shots down so i could adjust/remove the rear axle with out removing the pipes No Problem if you know how to use a hack saw. ill try to post pics or check my profile. It did not affect performance.
Rex ....i still have the photos you sent me ... here's an earlier post where i used them: Question about maybe shorting big shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blusporttrac
Has any one shortened their v&h big shots to a little past the 2 into 1? i love the pipes and sound but think i they may look better a little bit shorter. Maybe make the heatshielding and pipes look like the end of the roadstar power shots.

http://vanceandhines.com/images/main_y_powershots.jpg

I've been considering this for a couple of years and even contacted this member for detailed photos

Compliments to:rxapehttps://rswarrior.com/members/rxape.aspx ... Rex cut back the pipesandretained the heat shield tabas fabricated by V&H & just moved the baffles fwd! Cutting more off will require rewelding the 2 hat shapedheat shield tab on the chromeand opening up Pandora's Box!

rxape Straight cut-backV&H Big Shots using Adobe Elements compliments of AlanH

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey hey, those look good.

My idea is to cut 7 inches off the inner pipes. Then..................drum roll..............

I am cutting the front portion of the heat shields away. I made some aluminum pieces that will be between my heat shield and muffler tape. I will only use the back foot or so of the heat shields. The ffront of the pipes will be covered with muffler tape.

I will first make it leaving the chrome on the heat shield alone. I am pretty sure I will wind up painting the heat shield black but want to see the chrome before I decide. I will maintain the slash.

Hope to have it done before Sunday so I will post up pics once done. Wrapping the 'power chamber' is being a bit &^%$#

Old 07-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey Scott that sounds trick. Just a little warning though. When you talk about muffler tape I assume your talking about the heat wrap. I wrapped my Muzzy's under the heat shiels before I went on the Wild Wild West ride last year. We did ride through a couple o thunder storms with a lot of wot sections and change of temps. By the end of the run my front header had cracked completely around, I'm assuming from higher heat of the metal that made it brittle.

I had those pipes for years with no problems until then. I have sinceheared that you should only wrap stainless pipes. I'm don't know for sure. All I know is my Muzzy's now sit in the corner of the garage haven't touched them since I took them off after the trip. Luckily I had the Propipe to put on.
youngja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

Woooo Thats good to know i was planing to wrap under my heat shealdes but now ... Maby not!!

TRex
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngja

Hey Scott that sounds trick. Just a little warning though. When you talk about muffler tape I assume your talking about the heat wrap. I wrapped my Muzzy's under the heat shiels before I went on the Wild Wild West ride last year. We did ride through a couple o thunder storms with a lot of wot sections and change of temps. By the end of the run my front header had cracked completely around, I'm assuming from higher heat of the metal that made it brittle.

I had those pipes for years with no problems until then. I have sinceheared that you should only wrap stainless pipes. I'm don't know for sure. All I know is my Muzzy's now sit in the corner of the garage haven't touched them since I took them off after the trip. Luckily I had the Propipe to put on.
rxape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngja

Jim.....did you use Thermo-Tec with the heat shield coating? I will have to look at that and see if this will cause the same problem on the big shots. That would suck....lol

I think the big shots are stainless. I know I did read if you do not install the stuff correctly, you can get uneven heating, which may have caused the problem. The storms should not be a problem as I challenged myself when I got the bike, to NOT let it get rained on, Over 4 years and still holding. If the weather looks funky, I ride the FJR....

Thanks Jim, I will look into it and post back up.

Anybody else have thoughts or experience with the heat wrap causing problems?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion