Yamaha Billet Drive Pulley Case set on 2006-2009? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yamaha Billet Drive Pulley Case set on 2006-2009?

Hey, has anyone tried to install the Yamaha Billet Drive Pulley Case set on a later model (2006-2009?) Yamaha Road Star Warrior Accessories, Yamaha Road Star Warrior Billet Drive Pulley Case Set

I saw this on the yamaha accessories site, when I entered my 2007 in the search criteria, and didn't notice that it says 2002-2005. Now, I'm sitting here, with the old cover and pulley nut removed, and I notice that the later model bikes have a different diameter nut, so the retaining plate for the spinning pulley cover has a hole that's too big, sloppy, sloppy.

Anyone figured out how to make this work?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob

Last edited by IndyBob; 03-20-2011 at 02:19 PM.
IndyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyBob View Post
Hey, has anyone tried to install the Yamaha Billet Drive Pulley Case set on a later model (2006-2009?) Yamaha Road Star Warrior Accessories, Yamaha Road Star Warrior Billet Drive Pulley Case Set

I saw this on the yamaha accessories site, when I entered my 2007 in the search criteria, and didn't notice that it says 2002-2005. Now, I'm sitting here, with the old cover and pulley nut removed, and I notice that the later model bikes have a different diameter nut, so the retaining plate for the spinning pulley cover has a hole that's too big, sloppy, sloppy.

Anyone figured out how to make this work?

Thanks for any suggestions,
Bob
The later models '06' & > use a redesigned and improved middle shaft and attachment hardware as shown below.

The pulley adapter plate goes under the Conical Spring Washer (22mm I.D.[0.866"]) Item 80 in the parts fiche.
I suggest you order a NEW NUT, Item 79 and torque according to this thread: '06-09' Middle Shaft & Frt Pulley Nut Torque Update!

On the earlier bikes ('02-05') the adapter plate fits over the protruding middle shaft splines that are 30mm O.D.
  • I suspect that the later middle shaft splines ('06' & >) don't protrude thru the pully splines as the conical spring washer P/N indicates 22mm I.D.
I suggest you take a close look at the connection of the aforementioned parts and also post up the I.D. of the adapter plate for possible solutions after you review the parts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Alan, you're exactly correct. The splines do not protrude beyond the hub of the pulley, just the 22mm threaded shaft. The I.D. Of the adapter plate for the billet pulley cover is 30mm. I think I might try to order some shim washers from McMaster Carr that have an O.D. Of 30mm and an I.D. Of 22mm. I need 1.4mm thickness, so will stack a 1.0 and 2 of the 0.2mm thickness shim washers. Tolerance on these parts might be a problem. I was, (and am) curious whether anybody else has tackled this issue, or has any suggestions.

Thanks
Bob

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Alan, you're exactly correct. The splines do not protrude beyond the hub of the pulley, just the 22mm threaded shaft. The I.D. Of the adapter plate for the billet pulley cover is 30mm. I think I might try to order some shim washers from McMaster Carr that have an O.D. Of 30mm and an I.D. Of 22mm. I need 1.4mm thickness, so will stack a 1.0 and 2 of the 0.2mm thickness shim washers. Tolerance on these parts might be a problem. I was, (and am) curious whether anybody else has tackled this issue, or has any suggestions.
Thanks
Bob
First-Off i'm not selling anything here and i haven't done this install on a late middle shaft. What follows is based on my professional experience over the years...... Using shims for this connection point is not a good idea IMO.
There is a tremendous intensification at 100 lb~ft that will cause the shims to Extrude and result in a loose pulley over a period of time.

Bruce59 has an excellent solution to the problem that we worked out together on his ride that would work for yours. Send him a PM.

The other simple solution is welding a proper thickness fender washer with 22mm ID to the surface of the adapter plate and paying attention that the existing hole doesn't interfere with the assy

Good luck

- Starting System
&

&

Old 03-21-2011, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Unhappy Member shivaman's install on his 2007

Quote:

Thanks
Bob
Unfortunately there is no mention of the sloppy fit between the adapter & middle shaft as discussed above.

Installing chrome covers (2)

- Starting System
&

&

Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Wouldn't the best/easiest solution be to have a proper sized, collared spacer machined?
mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Perhaps having a bushing that is 22mm id and 30mm od with a thickness of 1.4mm would work well. I imagine that it would have to be fabricated/machined. I wonder how much something like that would cost?

I hoped to "stack up" something like this with the shim washers from McMaster Carr, this would just cost 20 or so (have to buy quantity bags). I have to think a little bit about what Alan said about the material squashing/ extruding over time. I could re torque the nut occasionally, but I can't help but think that the spring steel that these shims are made of would squash and stay that thickness, but I'm certainly no materials engineer.

Actually, The way that the conical washer is designed actually puts more pressure on the outer rim of that washer. This would contact the steel of the adapter plate for the pulley cover before it would compress enough to contact whatever type of bushing/ shim stack I used to center it on the shaft. It seems to me that what I'm trying to construct is something to simply center the too big hole in the center of the adapter plate on the too small shaft Maybe compression of the adapter plate between the pulley and conical washer is a bigger worry for eventual loosening?

I'll make the contact that Alan suggested.

Alan, when you suggested welding a flat washer to the adapter plate, do you mean to cut out a bigger opening in the adapter plate (larger than the O.D. of the conical washer,) then weld a fender washer with an I.D. of 22mm to the center of the adapter plate? Would the fender washer be less susceptible to extrusion?

Thanks again for the help all,
Bob
Old 03-21-2011, 11:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Bob,

I got your message.
The reason AlanH and I thought up my solution was that to mount that backing plate under the pulley nut really compromised the nut and it's work on the earlier models which already had issues in this area.

I first cut the center (ID) opening larger and set it behind the pulley with the nuts facing out through the holes in the pulley. This way the allen bolts sandwiched the plate into the back of the pulley.

Problem was , I did a burnout one day and snapped all six nuts off the backing plate. The sportbikers with me were impressed by the torque !

So , with AlanH's help we designed a thicker backing plate .. with extra holes to lighten it and a machinist contact welded the old nuts back on ( certain nuts for that application ..Alan can tell you). "weld nuts"

So again, the plate you see pictured below ( I'll try to find more pics) will sit behind the pulley with the nuts facing back towards the engine cases away from the holes in the pulley. ( I think I used a little silicone to hold it in place until allens were threaded). I then twisted the plate so the allen bolts were against the back edge of those holes in pulley so that under torque , they were already touching and not allowing an impact.

It works perfectly ( no issues in about 30,000 miles) and no longer compromises the pulley nut. I think it should work for you too.

In assembling, the allen screws will be coming into the other side of the plate , the nut side.Correction: the allen screws will come through in the direction shown... I had forgotten that we went this route for better integrity.

Last edited by bruce59; 03-22-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: edit correction
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll try to find more pics and Alan's design diagram in the morning ,. They are in another computer.
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Slick.
mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion