My reaserch on new shock - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default My reaserch on new shock

After many hours of research on replacing the shock on my 02, following is a combination of my own information and information from some suppliers that I found to be very helpful in making my decision.I really wanted the Penske shock, but they didnít offer the remote preload adjustment, the Wilburs from Germany with the preload was my second choice, but the $1200 price tag was too much. I ended up w/ the Ohlins from Traxxion, I should have it by the end of the week and will post once I have it installed. Their deal was too good to pass up.
Here are were what I thought were my best options, below each vendor I also added in any additional information they provided to me.This is a lot of text, but if you are looking for a shock, this may be helpful.
www.traxxion.com Penske shock, part # 8983 shock with 900 lb spring $788. I talked Mike Hardy, the Sales Manager Traxxion Dynamics, Inc. he is a former warrior rider, and has been very helpful.
Traxxion is also still offering Ohlins at what they call blowout prices.He tells me there are 2 type Ohlins shock available. They are the same except one has a remote preload adjuster.
Part number YA715 is a standard S46 type shock. It is adjustable for length, preload and rebound damping. It sells for $ 495.
YA714 is the same shock but with a remote preload adjuster. It sells for $ $ 699.

261 Rope Mill Pkwy, Suite 3, Woodstock, GA 30188 (770) 592-3823
Other info from Mike at Traxxion:We only use and recommend straight rate springs. I believe a straight rate spring gives a better ride and is less harsh towards the bottom of the stroke. Plus is supports the weight initially better. I would recommend a 900lbs spring for your application. I believe the 1000lb spring is going to be a little too rough riding solo. Penske does not make a remote preload adjuster. That is something we have thought about manufacturing but have not yet. So for now the only option with the Penske is the manual style collar.
The basic (Sport Shock) Penske shock will not work on the Warrior. The shock in the Warrior lies horizontal in the frame. The Sport Shock is required to be almost entirely vertical. So you would need to go with the 8983 Double adjustable shock. The 8983 has Ride Height, Spring Preload, Rebound, and High Speed Compression Damping Adjustments. Normally the 8983 is $875 but we sellthem for $788.
----------------- option 2 is getting an Ohlins from Orient Express. http://www.orientexpress.com/ 800-645-6521 my contact there has been Ken
Part number OHLYA715 is a standard S46 type shock. It is adjustable for length, preload and rebound damping. It is in stock and sells for $ 608.40. It includes a tool to adjust pre load. OHLYA714 is the same shock but with a remote preload adjuster. It must be ordered. It sells for $ $ 758.16.
Orient Express can also supply a Penske shock , It is the double adjustable type. It sells for $ 889.00. This is a custom made unit. please allow 3 to 4 weeks for delivery.
-------------------- 3rd option is the shock from EPM Performance Imports ( Wilburs shock, made in Germany ) for the XV 1700 Road Star Warrior Part number 641 Reservoir shock with adjustable rebound and hi/lo speed compression damping, pre-load adjustment at $ 899.00 Warranty - 2 years Delivery - 3 weeks S&H - $ 25.00
contact info Klaus Huenecke Email: [email protected]P.O. Box 40 Tennent, NJ 07763 USA Tel / Fax:: (732) 786-9777 Toll-Free: (877) 786-6543 Email: [email protected] or [email protected]www.epmperf.com
below is info from Klaus
We can also lower the bike by up to 2" with this shock. The amount of lowering has to be stated at time of ordering.
For the remote Preload adjustment the adjustment range is usually 9 - 10 mm compression of the spring. Remote Preload adjustment is available at $ 269.00
The Wilburs shock model has to be the 641, with the hose mounted remote reservoir. The reason is that the shock installs horizontally and a 640 type shock (emulsion shock) cannot operate in horizontal model. This bike needs a shock with a gas/oil separation, thus the reservoir which has the floating piston to separate the two.
It can be lowered yes, but it will also lose some of the suspension travel at the same time.
fws02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good post. Interesting, I have been wanting to upgrade the shock on my 02.
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

How about a tricky air?
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2011, 01:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to Shamat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06_warrior View Post
How about a tricky air?
I've ween wondering about the handling of bikes with these installed.
Can't imaginf they would handle as well as a solid shock/spring setup.

Shamat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks for doing the research and the great post!

Everything looks a bit better and your problems don't seem quite so bad from the saddle of a bike! - Jack Conrad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

Very usefull info - thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for"
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great info thanks...I couldn't afford a new shock so I bought one off an 04 on eBay for $55. Seems to work nicely but I bet the shocks above would be a much better match for my R1 forks:}:}
New backyard or new shock.... that is the question:}
fcwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Great post. Ordered my new Ohlin YA714 (with remote preload adj) today....and only $599. Dan at Traxxion called the company and said 6 are still available from Sweden at these blowout prices. Mine will be here 4/27...oh yeah!

2005 XV1700PCTB
oz48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Timely information, nice work!

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion