Hung up once again. - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hung up once again.

Well i seem to have once again fallen on a problem.Hope someone can shed a little light on this for me.I started by putting K&N stock replacement filters on my bike,doing the exhaust mod discribed on the DIY part of the fm,ais block off.I guess the bug wasnt satisfied.Pulled out the coffin and put a BAK in and put on a slip-on.My problem is now my plugs are white.Ive bumped my ECU to over 50 on both plugs but than the bike would barely run,Is the bak and exhaust slip-on beyond the ECUs ability to richen the motor up.Im ordering a pcv this week,do you think this will solve my problems or is there something else wrong and i would be waisting my money.
warriorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

If all things are working as they should with bumping the ECU, it almost sounds like you have something going on with the fuel system itself. How long are you idling or riding the bike before and after you check plugs?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have been making the ecu adjustment and going for a 6 mile run than checking the plugs and havnt changed at all.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to MikeOlmt

I know it's gonna be tricky, but if you posted pics of your plugs, it might help someone here to see if they are truly indicating lean!!

Also, if you've bumped the ECU to over 50, and now the bike wont' run, it's prolly too rich!! Though the plugs will usually indicate it, there might be something off.

Pics will always help, if possible for you to post?

Good luck man!
MikeOlmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

I will get some pics for you guys,they are white,real white.could it be a pinched line or something stupid im not seeing.Im about to pull the #@&*%$ thing out in the yard and set it on fire.
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm also with Mike. If you can post pics, then maybe we can get an exact idea and indication on whats going on. btk572 and a few others usually know all about this stuff, hopefully they could shed some light on this topic for you and us.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

i thought the ecu bump was for idle and very low in the rpm range not the whole rpm range . were talking bak pipes and all freed up air flow here so it may very well take a pc to correct the problem. but check the air temp sensor is working and grounded if needed. ground problems often go hand in hand with these mods no ground no sensors work ,btk572
btk572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

White plugs mean you are running lean

What are you rpms are you idling at? Is it running different?

Getting the PCV is def the best way to go, instead of bumping the ecu

DannyCoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 AM   #9 (permalink)

here are some pics.they are pretty crappy but all i could get so quick.you can atleast see how white they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plug2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	2630   Click image for larger version

Name:	plug 1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	2631  
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

The LCV may be staying open allowing extra air into the engine.

Remove each large diameter hose from each throttle body & cap the throttle body ports with a vacuum cap or a short piece of hose with a screw/bolt in one end to seal it off. Do not use a jumper hose & connect the throttle bodies together.

Make a test run & check the plugs.

You will need to add some throttle on cold start for a short time.

If the CO display has a - (minus sign) in front of the digit your going in the wrong direction.

Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Last edited by Churchkey; 05-09-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion