What are Best Grips ? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default What are Best Grips ?

I am looking for recomendations for best grips to minimize the tingling/numbness.
The only grip that seems to be recomended on this forum is the Kuryakyn 6235 ? But when I go to Kury web site, they dont even list a grip specificaly for the warrior ?
In my searching this site for info on grips I did see much discusion on the bar end weights/filling the ends of the bars, and am planning on doing this as well.
but I know my grips are shot, so will be replacing them anyway.
Any recomendations will be appreciated.
thanks
fws02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 12:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have Avon grips, and am very happy with them. I ended up getting them for a Harley and modding my throttle housing to make it work, but they make them for metrics. Wish I had noticed that before I went through the hassle. You can find many different styles for very good prices on Ebay.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #3 (permalink)

The part no listed fits a number of metrics cruisers including the warrior.
mattbowdeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2011, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Love my Kuryakyn Iso's. Add the throttle boss and you're set.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

I second the iso grips. for what you describe they will be perfect their larger then stock which helps with your grip lets the hands be in a better position.
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to yamaweezle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbowdeen View Post
The part no listed fits a number of metrics cruisers including the warrior.
+1...As coincidense would have it, Silverdeere & I talked to a Avon sales rep at J&P's open house yesterday, and they use a multi-position throttle cable cam (2 different ones are included with the grips) that are splined into the grips. The position is based on model of bike. The cam then gets glued in place. I was also informed that Avon warranties the the rubber grip pads for life, if you manage to wear them out. The quality is much better than the Kurys as well. They will be my next set of grips for sure. I've ridden plenty of bikes with the Iso Grips, and IMHO, think they are a joke. I'm not a fan of Kury products at all.

Last edited by yamaweezle; 06-26-2011 at 01:10 PM.
yamaweezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

just purchased a set of avons,they even come with the glue for the cams. So far the best grips I have had as far as comfort would highly recommend them.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Try powerpartsplus.com " search under OEM Yamaha accessories, roadstar warrior handlebars and controls" Have some Avon grips for yammis for 47 plus ship. 4 styles.
mattbowdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not being a hater I checked into those Avon grips, and I'm intrigued. But when I went to Amazon to check the ratings (there were only 2) one guy thought they were pretty good -although not really "air" cushioned as advertised, but one guy thought they sucked, because after 1000 miles he said the rubber had worn smooth spots (they have a rough grip for traction originally) and now they looked like butt. Anybody have any experience with these? I do love my ISOs -I guess I have better experience with them than Yamaweezle, but if there's something better out there I'll give it a serious look. One other thing ---I always wear weight lifting knuckleless gloves when I ride. The extra padding in the palm makes all the difference in vibration and how you hold the handlebar grip. You don't hold it deep into your hand, but rather more of a hand resting on the bar with just your fingers wrapped around it. make sense? anyway -anybody else have problems with the Avons? Are they air cushioned or not?

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to yamaweezle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
But when I went to Amazon to check the ratings (there were only 2) one guy thought they were pretty good -although not really "air" cushioned as advertised, but one guy thought they sucked, because after 1000 miles he said the rubber had worn smooth spots (they have a rough grip for traction originally) and now they looked like butt.
Obviously the second guy didn't call Avon, because they would've sent him a new set of rubber inserts "free". I was told by the rep that the rubber inserts are warranteed for life, if you can wear them out. Kury doesn't offer that. There was only one set of grips that were air cushioned, and it was the style that had the three rubber inserts that closely resembled the Iso's.

These are the style I'm going to get.

They also carry matching rider, foot brake, and shifter pegs as well.

Last edited by yamaweezle; 06-26-2011 at 02:31 PM. Reason: added
yamaweezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion