Horn wires can keep Warrior from starting - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Horn wires can keep Warrior from starting

This is meant as a notice in case this ever happens to you. So, I hear a ratle on the way up a mountain. At the top I discover that Horn 1, by the oil filter. is hanging off the bracket by the wires with the bolt and nut no where to be found. I decide to pull the three leads off horn 1 and stow the horn to repair when I get home. The bike will not start. I reconnect the leads to the hor, starts right up. Seems there is a piggyback connector for a live lead and a ground connection. If the ground is not connected to the live lead your bike will simply not start. So, beware of this little twist in the Warrior ground circuit. If you bike will not start, check horn one and other piggyback terminals with a ground on the bike. Some fool may have just pulled off the ground or it may have come loose.
terryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2011, 02:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the info! Palomar Mountain????

G
1256day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Do you have a FuelPak installed Terry ?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH FIREFOX..

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH GOOGLE CHROME..

Caledonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Yes, this was Palomar, rode up and down the hill twice this weekend. And, I do have a V&H FuelPak installed.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryk View Post
I do have a V&H FuelPak installed.
Sounds like the piggy back wire from your FuelPak is responsible, I think it's a grey wire going to the black/white horn wire. Unplugging the horn shouldn't affect anything as standard.

Gav.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

I cut my front horn out, bike starts just fine.
limotinted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Caledonian, interesting. I am unable to do my own electrical/fuel/motor work as doing so would only result in great harm to me and my bike. So I did not install the Fuelpak. Glad I now have this info, thank you.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

That's quite alright Terry, this is what the forum is for...Lol.

Now without getting too political...j/k. How do you feel your bike is running with the FuelPak ?
I fitted one to mine a while back and it didn't run too good at all.

Gav.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

i've disconnected horns on both my warriors without any issues so somethings up with the wiring on yours
southboundchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

I am pretty compulsive sometimes, wife chiming in now saying really all the time, and so I was methodical about measuring the success of the mods. The results of the FuelPak, Churchkey and propipe were about what is expected. Dynoed out at 84 HP and 105 FTLB. The quality of the power is also quite good on the street with a large increase in how quickly the engine spools up under power. I ride a fair amount of canyons and mountains as well as traffic so twist and go is essential. I do run a tad rich and live with the impact on fuel mileage. I typically get around 36 MPG but can dip into the 29 MPG range when the devil on the shoulder has rule. I did however got 40 MPG riding with a couple of newbies at a very slow pace, 55-60 MPH , gentle acceleration in curves, etc, last friday even going up to 5,500 feet starting at 300 feet ASL. All in all, happy. Oh, good results at the track, 100 miles on the Streets of Willow and at the 1/4 mile as well even with my sasquatch dimensions and 270 pounds of me and my gear. So, like I said, pretty happy. However, would like to always hear about more optimal solutions. And, pretty stoked, my Big City Thunder baffle is on the way for the propipe. I have had terrible luck with the V&H stock baffles, have jettisined two out the pipe already. Like the comp bafffle but really made for the stock pipe in the end, compromise to mount this from my POV. Will lh the let everyone know what happens with the BCT baffle, high hpes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion