Would you replace this tire? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would you replace this tire?

I know there are probably a hundred or so threads like this but most of the pictures that were hosted years ago don't show up anymore and I'd like some expert advice. I bought this Warrior as my first bike with about 7000 miles on it. Now it's got about 10,000 on it and needs the rear tire replaced. When I ordered my rear tire, I decided not to order a new front tire because just by eyeballing it there's lots of tread left. After reading all the topics on here regarding cupping I'm beginning to think twice. The tire has obviously begun cupping, you can feel it running a hand over it and it's easy to just look at and see. I took some pictures to try and capture it the best I can. It may have been this way when I bought it. I have no idea how many miles are on this tire and I doubt it's the original from 2002. I haven't noticed any vibration or anything while cornering, but I do ride hard and I'm not easy on the brakes. I did have one instance of traction loss while cornering hard at about 85 mph. The bike slid about 2 feet toward the outside of the turn but maintained the lean angle and regained traction no problem. I attributed this to the tires just not being grippy enough, but now I'm thinking the cupping may have something to do with it since the general consensus is the Dunlop D220s are plenty grippy. So, my two questions to all the experts on here: Should I replace this tire? Has anyone else experienced some minor traction loss with the Dunlops? (my pegs were not dragging yet, but 85-90 it pretty quick to be cornering hard and I probably had about an inch between the peg and the road) Thanks in advance.

Mike

Last edited by slaby; 07-01-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: forgot to add the photos
slaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to robriguez

The D220 I have on front is pushing 15k miles. I keep my pressure between 36-38lbs. Mine is finally almost smooth with little to no tread on the sides. It is getting replaced tomorrow. Most likely by a Dunlop Roadsmart only because that is what is on the back.

If you have the $$ and can be down for the time it takes to change a tire, do it now. If you dont, do it as soon as you can. Otherwise, take a chance like me and ride it till its bald!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

robriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

i switched my front tire from a dunlop to the avon storm ultra2 last season..I dont ride real hard (cornering) but i could feel the difference in grip...i changed mine t about 4k when it started cupping, it was a leftover bike, think it sat unmoved fro a couple years, but i would change it, and i will always run the avons from now on..

parkinglot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I also went to the Avon Storm Ultra2 up front last year, and I think its the best front tire I've ever had on this beast.

But to the OP's question: if you are in a dry region and the tires are not cut or damaged, I'd ride it based on tread pictured. You can run down to 3/32" or even 2/32" tread depth on the front, and down to the threads on the rear if you are brave enough lol. Of course, if you want to hot-rod or ride wet, then get a new tire first! I usually change mine a hint earlier than necessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkinglot View Post
i switched my front tire from a dunlop to the avon storm ultra2 last season..I dont ride real hard (cornering) but i could feel the difference in grip...i changed mine t about 4k when it started cupping, it was a leftover bike, think it sat unmoved fro a couple years, but i would change it, and i will always run the avons from now on..

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 02-09-2012 at 01:03 AM. Reason: typo
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Keeping this separate:

You can read the tire's 'date code' to determine its manufacture date. I've attached a blown-up jpg with quality maybe good enough to read lol.
There is also a link in the Popular Mods post under tires (go figure) for a wiki description of tire date codes. I think Dunlop's website has something
about their recommended tire age maximum. Maybe its like 10 years or so.

Since I've attached this jpg about how to read a tire's 'date code' I hope you don't mind that I've added this topic into Popular Mods for others to find.

[Added} Picture of Tire Date Code has been moved to the Library Documentation forum.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 06-21-2012 at 05:07 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Dump the tire, and figure out why it's cupping.
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for all the input. I plan on replacing the tire just don't want to do it right this second. Again, no vibrations while cornering or anything. I'm sure the cupping is due to being run at 36 psi as many have stated is too low. It seems as though there is plenty of tread left and I don't want to toss the tire if there's nothing making it unsafe.
slaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

I say change the tyre.

Quote: "Thanks for all the input. I plan on replacing the tire just don't want to do it right this second." *

Tyres harden with age.
They may look ok - but the grip diminishes as they harden.

You have already had a warning when the front pushed and you were fortunate to get away with it.

If we were talking about a rear tyre, I would say do it when you can afford it, but the punishment for not changing the front will be severe and instant!

*The cost of a new front tyre will be minimal compared to the cost of the repairs if you choose to "save money".

There is no justification for "cutting corners" () where tyres are concerned.

Treat yourself to a PAIR of tyres - the bike will feel like brand new!

"The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for"

Last edited by jarv; 07-02-2011 at 05:47 AM.
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Dump the tire, and figure out why it's cupping.

Heavy bike and front brakes = cupping. It is natural for a heavy bike to cup the tires. The dunlop D220 does it worse than the Avon. I read in a magazine that heavy use of the front brake will also cause the tire to cup. Remember these bike run a sport/tour tire. The sport/tour tire is developed for a bike weighing 100 to 150 less than our beloved warriors. I switched to Avons also.

just food for thought.

BTW I use my front brake religously. I always have and do not plan to change.
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)

Change it and put an Avon on it and keep it balanced.
robaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion