Warrior Rear Tire Technical Detail - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2011, 12:20 AM   #21 (permalink)

All this research makes me want the track bike I am saving for right this instant ha ha!! Is the format I used ok with you arizona?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes thanks, it gives me the info to maybe try a different rear tire next time. I like options!

Oh, wait . . . its tyre . . . not tire . . . sorry Doc!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Say what . . I mean . . . what track bike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07midnight57 View Post
All this research makes me want the track bike I am saving for right this instant ha ha!! Is the format I used ok with you arizona?

Old 07-30-2011, 01:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
Say what . . I mean . . . what track bike?
Planning on buying a R6 or R1 track bike to take classes and do some track days. I really truly enjoy motorcycles and I want to get to know how to handle them, sport and cruiser alike, and all the tips and tricks one could learn from instructors and other motorcycle veterans that love the sport/hobby as much if not more than I do. It interests me, and if I can save up to buy the bike and take the classes thats what I want to do and that is the plan. Also significant other approved, that was my first step lol.

07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I need to do the same thing. I seldom 'speed' on the street anymore, the risks are too big for the return. Besides, I'm gettin' old :~)

I love the R1 . . . you have planted a seed . . . you damned seed-planter! j/k

OK, you have awakened an old seed planted long ago in a galaxy far far away . . .

Old 07-30-2011, 04:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
HAHA You Always Say That . . . no worries . . . it'll be great if you post 'em!
I wasn't thinking of making one big document. Maybe later if its helpful.
i knew the avon ultra 2 looked bigger than the bridgestone 0202 haha - cheers prof great effort as ever

by the way the ultra 2 did real well in swiss'land at 2300 metres in the rain and on cobbled hair pins....big thumbs up from me - only time it wanted to go sideways was uphill on wet road from lights in france when i took a big hand full for a mo...haha

WARRIOR - OIL CHECK VIDEO
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:47 AM   #27 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm glad to hear that about the Ultra 2's. The Ultra 2 I have on the front is the best front tire I've had on my beast, excellent grip and quiet as a church mouse. I still have a Storm ST on the back with lots of miles left on it, plus a spare rear on the garage wall because the ST is the best rear tire I've had on my beast for the same reasons. Reports are the Ultra 2 rear is even better. Avon has done nice work on these. Arrrrrr.

BTW Doc I really like what you've done to your bike, plus it still has the soul of a Warrior for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomba View Post
i knew the avon ultra 2 looked bigger than the bridgestone 0202 haha - cheers prof great effort as ever

by the way the ultra 2 did real well in swiss'land at 2300 metres in the rain and on cobbled hair pins....big thumbs up from me - only time it wanted to go sideways was uphill on wet road from lights in france when i took a big hand full for a mo...haha

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 08-03-2011 at 01:04 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #28 (permalink)

A warning about that 200/50 ZR 17 Metzeler that is listed :
Although it is listed the same as our stock size, the one we have has higher sidewalls and on a stock height bike does not handle well. When leaned over in the turns you run out of tire ; ie. tend to drive beyond the edge of the tread! Not a good feeling.
It seems to handle ok for my wife's bike which is lowered ... but even on it , you have zero chicken strips because you are riding right to the edge.
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #29 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good to know, thanks. I made a note by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce59 View Post
A warning about that 200/50 ZR 17 Metzeler that is listed :
Although it is listed the same as our stock size, the one we have has higher sidewalls and on a stock height bike does not handle well. When leaned over in the turns you run out of tire ; ie. tend to drive beyond the edge of the tread! Not a good feeling.
It seems to handle ok for my wife's bike which is lowered ... but even on it , you have zero chicken strips because you are riding right to the edge.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 AM   #30 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I realize that tread depth isn't always the final word in MC tires, and a couple guys seem to be having good luck with Shinko tires, so I sent an email to Shinko USA asking about un-advertised dimensions and capacities for thei Raven and Verge tires in stock Warrior rear 200mm, and received this reply:

Hi Mike,
All specs between the 2 tires will be the same except the weight and tread depth.

Diameter 24.88"
Width 7.87"
Load rating 853 lbs @ 42psi
Rec. rim width 6.25"

009 Raven
Tread depth .2"
Weight 15.2 lb

011 Verge
Tread depth .235"
Weight 16.0 lb

Thank you,

-------------------- converting their data into our table format -------------------

Shinko 009 Raven Radial 200/50ZR17
. Tire Width: 200mm = 7.87"
. Tire Diameter: 632mm = 24.88"
. Tread Depth: 5mm = 0.200" (under 1/4")
. Rim Range: ~6.25" recommended
. Capacity: 853 pounds
. Weight of Tire: 15.2 pounds

Shinko 011 Verge Radial 200/50ZR17
. Tire Width: 200mm = 7.87"
. Tire Diameter: 632mm = 24.88"
. Tread Depth: 6mm = 0.235 (under 1/4")
. Rim Range: ~6.25" recommended
. Capacity: 853 pounds
. Weight of Tire: 16.0 pounds

Note: I asked a member in another topic to measure their new Shinko 009 Raven rear tire's centerline tread depth and they measured 5/32" (~4mm) with a tread depth gauge. The factory must measure tread depth at another point in the tire's tread pattern, explaining the difference. No worries, its helpful info either way.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 08-22-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: adding table data
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion