How do I put the ******* headlight back together? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How do I put the ******* headlight back together?

In the course of tossing my '02 down the freeway on a lark, the plastic headlamp bucket shattered. Got a new one, trying to put it all back together, and there's more wire and connector than there is space.

Anyone got pics of what it's supposed to look like, or even just a writeup on how to do it? I am screamingly frustrated, feels like I've tried eleventy-hundred different ways and times and it just won't go!
ilcylic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcylic View Post
In the course of tossing my '02 down the freeway on a lark, the plastic headlamp bucket shattered. Got a new one, trying to put it all back together, and there's more wire and connector than there is space.

Anyone got pics of what it's supposed to look like, or even just a writeup on how to do it? I am screamingly frustrated, feels like I've tried eleventy-hundred different ways and times and it just won't go!
First order of business......take a deep breath, a beer or whatever will let you get perspective back.

I will pull the headlight off and take a picture for you. I will try to have it up in just a few minutes....check back after the beer or ???

YOU WILL WIN.......

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proper way to check oil level
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 03:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's a class act! What other forum can you find such great members?

Icylic...are you having problems getting all the wire through the holes in the bucket, or just having trouble getting the light back in once everything is connected?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
First order of business......take a deep breath, a beer or whatever will let you get perspective back.

I will pull the headlight off and take a picture for you. I will try to have it up in just a few minutes....check back after the beer or ???

YOU WILL WIN.......
yodie001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 04:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, I managed to get all the wires through the very tiny hole in the bucket, but after reconnecting all the little plugs (So many colors! Whee!) it's just this sort of... tangled mess. And the picture in the factory service manual is a complete joke. Feh.

So, basically, the issue is that I don't know which wires / plugs to put on which side of the bucket, or through which wire clip to put which bundle, to hold it all in place so that the headlight unit will fit in place.

I've got to admit, I've been strongly considering just doing something aftermarket, because I'm not sure if the money it would cost would be worse than the ulcer I'm going to give myself over this.

Quote:
I will pull the headlight off and take a picture for you. I will try to have it up in just a few minutes.
That's very swank of you, scawein. I sure do appreciate it.

*does yoga or some **** to get all zen*

------

What was weird to me is, I searched, and couldn't find any other threads about this. Either everyone else has found this much easier than I am, or I suck at searching.

Last edited by ilcylic; 08-30-2011 at 04:10 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Here's an image from the Service Manual. Though it's in b&w, it may be of some help while waiting for the photo from Scawein.

whajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to robriguez

there is a TON of wiring and harnesses that need to go in the bucket. THATS the hard part getting it all in there AND the reflector/bulb.

Hopefully Scawin's pic will help getting the correct wire plastered against the correct portion of the wall of the bucket.

robriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

There you go. You just have to get them to lie on the outside (inner) of the bucket. Once routed, most of them should fit in the little hold down clips on each side.

This would also be a good time to put dielectric grease on your connectors while it is open.

Yes some of the connectors look different then stock. I changed some when I internally wired my handlebars.....

Sorry it took a few, dang gmail took a while to pass them to me.

Holler if you need more help.

Last edited by scawein; 08-30-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: more and more
Old 08-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok, those are great pics. I'll give it another shot and see what it gets me. Thanks very much. Hopefully yours goes right back together, I'll feel like a jerk if you took yours apart to show me how to fix it and then you can't rebuild yours!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilcylic View Post
Ok, those are great pics. I'll give it another shot and see what it gets me. Thanks very much. Hopefully yours goes right back together, I'll feel like a jerk if you took yours apart to show me how to fix it and then you can't rebuild yours!
No problem, it comes on and off very easy as long as the wires are dressed well. The main idea is to create a bowl shape with all the wires so they hug the outer areas of the bucket. If you look for a bit, you should see the natural way they want to lie in there since you are just putting them back.

Feel free to check in as you need to.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
There you go. You just have to get them to lie on the outside (inner) of the bucket. Once routed, most of them should fit in the little hold down clips on each side.
These are first class pictures Scawein, well done for helping out
I wish mine looked as neat in there as yours.
I'll be having a copy of them for when I get the nerve to undo the bolts and let the lot pour out

Gav.

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH FIREFOX..

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH GOOGLE CHROME..

Caledonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion