Shinko Advice (no one has really answered) - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 12:35 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shinko Advice (no one has really answered)

Need to replace stock Dunlop’s ASAP, have 9500 miles on the stockers.

Very interested in the shinko tires, but I have several questions, looking for help in selecting the tire combo which might be right for me...

Shinko 005 Advanced sizes 130/70 R18 and 200/50 R17
Question 1: has anyone actually run this tire size up front in a shinko?
Question 2: how is the clearance?
Question 3: has anyone been able to get at least 4000 miles out of the 005?

Shinko 009 Raven sizes 120/70 R18 does not exist! 200/50 R17
Question 1: has anyone run a Verge 011 up front with the Raven 009 tire in the back?
Question 2: If you have does the bike handle different in your opinion?
Question 3: has anyone been able to get at least 4000 miles out of the 009?

Shinko 011 Verge sizes 120/70 R18 and 200/50 R17 or 190/50 R17
Question 1: has anyone actually run this tire combo?
Question 2: is the 190 actually wider looking then the 200?
Question 3: If you used this combo, does the bike handle different in wet weather?
Question 4: has anyone been able to get at least 4000 miles out of the 011?

Keep in mind I have the stock Dunlop’s at 9500 miles, so you can tell my riding style is not aggressive.

Yes, I have asked these same questions but in varies other post; maybe this will bring me better luck, looked about 4 hours through several threads and still could not actually find a specific answer.

Now that I have asked 10 specific question all in one post, maybe I could get better assistance. I'm only interested in the SHINKO's not any other brands, so if anyone with SHINKO experience can help I would really appreciate it...

Thanks again, sorry if I’m blunt, just really need to purchase tires ASAP...
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

I have not used this tire but I too would like to know more about them.

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proper way to check oil level
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 04:21 AM   #3 (permalink)

Tyres are sometimes a touchy subject.
Its all about personal choice.
I saw you have had few replies - so decided to post after all.

MY PERSONAL opinion - is I wouldnt even go there.
I belive in sticking to quality tyres rather than "experimenting" to keep the price down.
It's not snobbery - to me using cheap tyres is a false economy.

There is a big following for Avon Storm tyres ... now replaced by Avon Storm II.
They offer good performance and the duel compound construction gives longer than average life.

I have seen posts here where other people ARE using Shinko tyres so I'm suprised you have had no help.
It has been determined over the years that a 190 rear tyre wears MUCH fastter than a 200.
The width of the narrower tyre pulls in at the rims, raising the center profile and causes premature wear over the smaller contact patch.

Can I ask why you are determined to use Shinko tyres?
Are you getting them super cheap or something?

"The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for"
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #4 (permalink)

I ran the shinko advance an only got 4000 miles out of it. Same as the stock. I currently have the storm 2 an have almost 7000 on them an they still look good. I'm a believer in the storms! Proof don't lie.
pletch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

About the rear tire . . .

I've read dozens of posts where people have run Shinko tires and commented, I'm surprised they don't come up on a forum search. Nearly everyone who has posted agrees the rear tire's life is only 2500~3000 miles of normal riding. One guy said he ran them for the racetrack because they were inexpensive and would need to be replaced every day anyway. From that I gathered the tires might be speed rated enough for the Warrior. But we know the tire has the thinnest tread-depth of any other 200mm tire offered.

I ran Dunlops for the first few replacements because back then there were just a couple available options and they were about the same. I've run Avon Storms since that time, and have saved money because they last so much longer. It now costs $125 a pair just to install tires, let alone the price of the tires themselves. When that cost is considered, it changes the cost accounting dramatically.

If you run a Shinko rear tire, after a few thousand miles I hope you'll post your findings here: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-t...al-detail.html

Shinko 009 Raven Radial 200/50ZR17
. Tire Width: 200mm = 7.87"
. Tire Diameter: 632mm = 24.88"
. Tread Depth: 5mm = 0.200" (under 1/4")
. Rim Range: ~6.25" recommended
. Capacity: 853 pounds
. Weight of Tire: 15.2 pounds

Shinko 011 Verge Radial 200/50ZR17
. Tire Width: 200mm = 7.87"
. Tire Diameter: 632mm = 24.88"
. Tread Depth: 6mm = 0.235 (under 1/4")
. Rim Range: ~6.25" recommended
. Capacity: 853 pounds
. Weight of Tire: 16.0 pounds

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to yamaweezle

When I have time later today, I'll post up some pics of my 011 Verges with 2,000 miles on them. They are still in great shape. I talked to a Shinko rep last year at J&P's open house, and he led me on to the 011's. For the low price, silverdeere, and I were willing to try them out. All I can say is if you're talented enough to outride the tire's capabilities, my hat's off to you. I'm a spirited to agressive rider, depending on the roads I'm on, and I think the tires stick like glue. I've ran Bridgestones, Dunlops, and Avons...I like these tires best, so far.

yamaweezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

You might be the first to run a Shinko up front...
I have only run them on the rear and I like the 005, but NOT the 011. https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/20-p...ml#post2204477 https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/20-p...ml#post2172922
Never ran the 009.

Don't be afraid to try. Shinko makes good tires. Let us know how you like 'em.

Last edited by Bladerunr; 10-06-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Bladerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 02:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

In my opinion, if it ain't broke don't fix it. 9.5K on the stock Dunlops is excellent mileage. I run the OEM Bridgestones and no issues. On Shinko's website both of the rear tires (200/15/17) that I looked at were substantially more expensive than what I paid for the Bridgestone OEM. So unless you can get the Shinko's cheaper, why go with an unknown entity?
scubabrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaweezle View Post
When I have time later today, I'll post up some pics of my 011 Verges with 2,000 miles on them. They are still in great shape. I talked to a Shinko rep last year at J&P's open house, and he led me on to the 011's. For the low price, silverdeere, and I were willing to try them out. All I can say is if you're talented enough to outride the tire's capabilities, my hat's off to you. I'm a spirited to agressive rider, depending on the roads I'm on, and I think the tires stick like glue. I've ran Bridgestones, Dunlops, and Avons...I like these tires best, so far.
I consider that to be a good recommendation coming from you!
Knowing your riding background I trust your judgement Matt and look forward to a milage report some time.
Cheers.

"The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for"
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here's my $0.02

Shink tires use to be shite, but in the past years they have been working to improve their quality and remain in the niche of budget tires.

I have run them on sportbikes(005's & podiums), and have had decent results. The advances 005 are decent and very soft. They are not as grippy and as confidence inspiring as say dunlop q2's or PP's but they are also half the price typically.( I would not run the 005's on the warrior, way too soft for the heavy bike and big torque. I woudl expect low mileage)

In addition I think a lot depends on the riding you do. If you're a weekend warrior that lives in the flat straight lands and doesn't really push hard in the corners I think the harder compound Shinko will suit just fine. But if youre the warrior riding guy trying to set Deals gap records you would probably prefer a softer stickier tire. But if you go into it knowing that they might be slightly less sticky and the front may want to push a little more than the tire costing double they are fine.

My best luck with tires on the warrior in stock sizes were Avon Storms(2). In fat tire sizes I really likes the Conti race attack customs in 240, Very soft and reasonable priced. I would not hesitate to try the verges on a warrior to see the results. But I was never trying to set any land speed records on my warrior, but just enjoying the ride.

You go to any local track(strip or road) and a good number of guys are running Shinko with good results. Just a matter of expectation and cost.

This is were 40 guys will say something to the effect of..Your life is worth more than 150.00 saved on tires. Or SHinko is crap even though they have never tried them. Or my favorite I had a buddy that crashed cause of them...

Let the flaming begin...

But consider this...Any shinko tire is probably better than the tires that came of the vintage bikes and they worked just fine. Yes yes yes I know they did not have warriors in the 60's and 70's but follow me on this. This last year while doing a CLASS Reg Pridmore day at Gingerman Raceway he made a comment that stuck with me. He pimps out Dunlop tire as they are one of his sponsors but states, "People need to learn how to have confidence in their tires. Any modern day radial tire is worlds better than the shoes blokes and I use to grease around the corners in 76'-78' to win championships"(of course in a british accent). I know this cause I was whining about my stock qualifiers on my Aprilia, and I was made to be the example boy....

-Z
Z-Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion