More R1 Fork Talk - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default More R1 Fork Talk

So, got my 02/03 R1 forks fitted complete with fresh 5wt oil...thanks to all who chimed in with info & advice in my previous post on this subject.
BUT...you guessed it, I need your input again!

PRELOAD:
Part 1: Using Racetech method to set Sag, I end up with no rings showing but still get left with 40mm Sag, not the desired 25-30mm.
I'm about 13 stone so I don't think it's my fault!
What gives??? Do I need a harder spring?
Part 2: At the above preload setting, I'm using comp & rebound settings just on the harsh side of middle...I'm thinking I am letting those settings work with the spring to do the job.
I have seen on other posts that many are showing about 5 rings preload but using very hard comp & rebound settings...isn't this just making the latter 2 compensate for not letting the spring do it's part? When I tried those settings it felt jarringly hard over bumps.
(I do have a chronically bad neck & back so my idea of jarringly hard may be very different to others).

Tech stuff not my thing so any advice on whether I am looking at this from completely the wrong angle would be appreciated!
Regards, Andy.
Andy W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

What is the stone to US pound conversion factor?

Year of bike?

Has the rear spring been changed?

Tire brand, size & pressure?

Forum member #113

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

13 UK stone = 14.5 US stone.

2003 bike

OEM rear spring (Sag setting good)

Std size tyres on std rims, Avon Storm Ultra 2's, 36psi.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

There seems to be some controversy when someone "says" that the loaded sag should be XXX. Suspension varies by bike, shock valving, loaded weight, wheel base, handle bars, riding position, fork oil viscosity, tire pressure, size & compliance.

When installing R1 forks on a Warrior what is normally recommended as a set up for a R1 does not necessarily transfer over.

The way I adjust mine:

Install a zip tie on each lower fork leg near the top oil seal.

With the spring pre load adjusted mid way & the comp & damp settings adjusted mid way ride the bike hard for a day. Check the zip ties & measure the clearance between the top of the zip tie & the lower bracket. If you have 3/4" your good to go. Less than the above add a round of preload & retest etc. once you have the pre load set work with the comp & damp. You only need enough spring to eliminate bottoming. Comp & damp control spring action in each direction.

Comp & damp depends on the rider & how much feed back you as the rider require.

For my 02 R1 forks:

spring pre load = 5 bars showing. I weigh 2 "stones" more than you.

I mix 1qt of 5w & 1qt of 10w fork oil for a 7.5 vis oil.

Comp & damp are both set at 5 clicks out from fully seated

Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks Churchkey,
I'll try your method & see what transpires.
I'm interested in the oil vis. you use. Why use 7.5 instead of the (apparently) standard 5wt most bikes & riders seem to use, is it due to the weight of the Warrior?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Remember Andy, the warrior is 100kg heavier than the R1 WITHOUT you adding your weight!

I'm with Churchkey on the zip tie trick.
It's a really good test.
I like my front on a softer setting. I prefer to be able to "feel" the front tyre and the harder the front is set, the less that is possible.
I suppose I'm repeating what Woody has already said but...
Ideally, during the course of the test, you want to have used pretty much ALL of the suspension travel without actually bottoming out.
This is a method that used to be used by many off road riders as using all of the suspension travel is paramount.
The mixture of oil will create a SLIGHTLY heavier weight oil (in between the std weights generally available).
This will increase the damping effect slightly.
I wouldnt personally go much heavier than that on the oil if that doesn't work).
If thats the case you should go for heavier springs.
At the end of the day, it's the springs that "suspend" the bike and the oil that controls the ride quality via the compression and return speed.
Are you SURE that the new forks have the stock R1 springs in there?
Maybe the previous rider was a light weight and changed them?

"The minute you settle for less than you deserve, you get even less than you settled for"
jarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

When weighing people, 1 Stone is 14 American pounds.

The value if a Stone can vary by commodity so its sorta confusing for us who don't use it weekly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchkey View Post
What is the stone to US pound conversion factor?

Year of bike?

Has the rear spring been changed?

Tire brand, size & pressure?

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
When weighing people, 1 Stone is 14 American pounds.

The value if a Stone can vary by commodity so its sorta confusing for us who don't use it weekly.

Tell me about it..!
You think you got problems, try being in the UK...I had to learn & use metric & UK imperial at school & live in a country that uses different systems for different things.
Factor in that US imperial values are different to UK ones & I think I need to go & lie down for a while!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

hi andy im 11 ,1/2 stone wet theres plenty of scope for adjustment for skinny blokes sounds like something wrong or read the instructions again lol i cant get rear sag correct , spring is fully off and rear is still wee bit hard , maybe more burgers needed
mintybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hi Mate,

380lbs of R1 vs 606lbs of Warrior, the R1 forks were never designed for that amount of weight. The springs will be way too soft so 5 rings of preload is deffinately innapropriate (barring a sping upgrade).

Set sag as much as you're able but bear in mind the R1 springs wont cope appropriately with the additional weight, you'll need to compromise between sag and feel, maybe 1 or at the most 2 rings showing but you'll compromise on feel.

Compression damping - you'll need to go much softer than standard, the R1 is a light bike it's forks are designed to skitter over bumps unlike the Warrior which will need the suspension to fully travel so try a good few clicks less on compression damping than standard for the R1. Again with the rebound damping the weight of the Warrior will negate most if not all rebound so wind this a way back from standard.

There's no blinding of science regarding sag all manufacturers refer to it and when doing so allow for variations. 30mm of travel appears to be the rule for any manufacturer and any bike. It's a much better route to finding your bikes correct suspension setup than saying go for a ride and adjust so you have 3/4".
Pieeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion