Avon AV56 Storm (Inside Look) - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Avon AV56 Storm (Inside Look)

I am replacing my rear tire today and thought I would dissect a piece to see just how thick it was.

200x50ZR17 at 6000 miles.

The thickness at the center of the tire is .1 inch above the threads, overall thickness is .19 inches

The thickness at the outside (1.4 inches from the outside edge of the tire) measures .4 inches

How many more miles do you think this tire could have gone? Granted the traction of the tire was pretty well gone as it is through the wear bars (about 300-400 miles after wear bars were gone).....

This is the thinnest section (Center)

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proper way to check oil level
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scawein; 10-14-2011 at 10:35 AM.
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

That's pretty cool! Thanks for the pics.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting. I wonder if there is an industry standard or regulations tire manufacturers must follow. I would assume so by DOT. It would be cool to see others also. Good post. I would think you could have got several hundred more miles before eating through it,although you definatly wouldn't want to.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

haha...excellent thinking...wish i'd have thought of doing that...what else can we cut in half!!?

WARRIOR - OIL CHECK VIDEO
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomba View Post
haha...excellent thinking...wish i'd have thought of doing that...what else can we cut in half!!?
il try and cut you in half at next warrior meet , im a practising magician i cut a dunlop qualifier in half once and there was half that amount of rubber , it was a scary thought how little was keeping bike on road
mintybullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Traction gone, wear bars ggone, tire is gone.

Having said that I usually replace a bike tire at the first sign of cord, although that is not a good practice.

Like you and others, when the tire starts to break away a bit in turns under acceleration or the front fails to bite, turn in and track like as always in a turn this is a sign to shop for new tires.
terryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintybullet View Post
il try and cut you in half at next warrior meet , im a practising magician i cut a dunlop qualifier in half once and there was half that amount of rubber , it was a scary thought how little was keeping bike on road
cutting the distance from wick to the south in half would mean we'd get to see all those scars sooner

WARRIOR - OIL CHECK VIDEO
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
I am replacing my rear tire today and thought I would dissect a piece to see just how thick it was.
Good idea Scawein, it gives us an idea how far to let the tread go down. I usually change a tyre before a long journey if the tyres have been on a while. I now have 3 good rear tyres and 2 good fronts.

I can't get to grips with your measurement sizes of rubber left

What is ??

.1"
.19"
1.4"
.4"

Is the fraction divided into 100 or 20 ? I haven't used this type of measuring since the early seventies

Gav.

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH FIREFOX..

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH GOOGLE CHROME..

Caledonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caledonian Warrior View Post
Good idea Scawein, it gives us an idea how far to let the tread go down. I usually change a tyre before a long journey if the tyres have been on a while. I now have 3 good rear tyres and 2 good fronts.

I can't get to grips with your measurement sizes of rubber left

What is ??

.1"
.19"
1.4"
.4"

Is the fraction divided into 100 or 20 ? I haven't used this type of measuring since the early seventies

Gav.
Is this a little clearer?

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)

Proper way to check oil level
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
Is this a little clearer?

Yes, a little, thanks Scott.

What size is .1 of an inch ? I'll have a guess at 3mm ? All these imperial sizes are just numbers in my head..Lol
I been stuck before with 11/32" and 17/64", I just can't imagine these sizes ??

Gav.

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH FIREFOX..

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH GOOGLE CHROME..

Caledonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion