open air filter in the rain ??? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default open air filter in the rain ???

love the look of the cone air filters does anyone run one with the stock air box just wondering how they will work if you get caught in the rain with an open filter i made a nylon cover for mine so it can still breath some but hopefully keep the worst of the rain out can't make it totally water proof then the motor would not get enough air any comments or tips... Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2440.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	670.7 KB
ID:	15659   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2445.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	686.6 KB
ID:	15660  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
102 CI TORQUE MONSTER.
Midnight Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

I used to run a Dellorto on my old harley which had an open K&N filter on it and never had any trouble in the rain. I believe you can get a sponge type cover that go over the filters that would still allow air to go through but would absorb a lot of the water similar to the foam style filter covers that go on a shop vac

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you want that kind of look and its still a functioning filter, you did pretty much all you can do. The nylon sock is pretty much it. The only other option I have for you is to get Churchkey's Vbak and just keep your spike filter for looks. Sorry, I know its easier to spend someone else's money.
BTW, I have rode home in over 6 hours of pouring rain with Churchkey's vbak and had zero problems

4UTNV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was wondering if maybe you had a big air kit and were using this for looks... That cone might restrict the amount of air get ting to your filter , hence to your intakes .. don't know for sure but I wonder if you'll get enough air flow!
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4UTNV View Post
If you want that kind of look and its still a functioning filter, you did pretty much all you can do. The nylon sock is pretty much it. The only other option I have for you is to get Churchkey's Vbak and just keep your spike filter for looks. Sorry, I know its easier to spend someone else's money.
BTW, I have rode home in over 6 hours of pouring rain with Churchkey's vbak and had zero problems
That is what I would suggest as well. I did a DIY kit but kept the coffin airbox because I didn't have anything better to put there. I never had a single issue with rain while running a BAK.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce59 View Post
I was wondering if maybe you had a big air kit and were using this for looks... That cone might restrict the amount of air get ting to your filter , hence to your intakes .. don't know for sure but I wonder if you'll get enough air flow!
no big air kit still got stock air box under the tank so cone is feeding the air box. cover is only in case i get caught in the rain some where keep in my jacket pocket.

102 CI TORQUE MONSTER.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

I mean the cone itself .. without the cover. Will it supply enough air flow. It looks restrictive. A friend had one on his Harley and it wouldn't supply enough air. He is running a 120 ci motor.
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Usually no but it depends how hard the rain is. We were out on a poker run a couple years ago and got caught in some nasty rain storms. My buddies harley started bogging out and running bad. He thought maybe he was out of gas at first. Turned out the filter was totally soaked and was pulling water in. We found a kid's sand bucket in the parking lot we pulled into and strapped it over the cone to stop all the spray from hitting it, worked great the rest of the day. That was on a carbed 124ci engine. I think on the warrior it would be much less likely to happen because of the distance between the intake and the throttle bottles, on the harley the filter is right on the carb so it doesn't take much water to mess with it.

limotinted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce59 View Post
I mean the cone itself .. without the cover. Will it supply enough air flow. It looks restrictive. A friend had one on his Harley and it wouldn't supply enough air. He is running a 120 ci motor.
they say yes it has a K&N style filter in it should give a little more air than the stock coffin where it is more open and the air can be forced in. I won't know for sure till spring..

102 CI TORQUE MONSTER.

Last edited by Midnight Ray; 01-28-2013 at 07:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion