help click of deth I think - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default help click of deth I think

Hey every one I am back . I tryed to start my bike sunday and took a long time to start my battery gave out before the bike started . So I put a charger on it slow charge and all I get now is a click sound from my relay and a click sometimes from the starter . Help plz
I have looked to see if all my battery connections are tight and they are so what do yall think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joeysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Did you do/have work done on the bike prior to having the starting issue ?
Did you let the battery get a good charge on it before trying to start the bike ?
How old is the battery ???
If it's too old it may not even take a charge.

Last edited by BiggG; 03-12-2013 at 07:56 AM.
BiggG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #3 (permalink)

Its only 8mo old and I putt it on a battery tender and it took about 3hr to charg it back up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hate to say it, but sounds like a bad/weak battery. If you are able to, jump start the bike with your car. Just do it with the car off. If it starts, you know your battery is the culprate

4UTNV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

I will try that but dont think that will work will do it after work

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

you say it took 3 hrs to charge up. did you just leave it on the tender for three hours or does the tender say it's charged. i ask because most tenders will not really charge a battery. so was it a tender or a charger. if you ran the battery dead, and now it just says "click", the battery is most likely still dead.
iowawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

i re-read it. sounds like you kept it on a tender, which obviously did not take, but then charged it on a charger. i still think the battery is dead/bad. if you have one of those 2/12/50 chargers, just put it on 12 for a short while and try to start while it's still connected.
iowawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)

COD is another problem altogether. like the others state unfortunately this sounds like your battery

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

That's not COD. That's a battery not giving enough juice to the starter, which is why it is clicking.

I read your post to say you didn't have it on a tender, you tried to start it and killed your battery, so you put it on a tender, and it still won't start after you left it on for 3 hours.

Since you killed the battery, it won't ever hold a charge properly after this. It might hold for awhile, but in a matter of months it will die on you. They just don't come back all the way after you kill them. Just to ease your mind about the COD (which this isn't), jump start it with a car/truck. DO NOT have the car or truck running, or it may fry your electronics. Let it sit hooked up for a minute or two, then try to start it. It should start. This will then confirm your battery isn't charged, or holding a charge.

Since you bought it 8 months ago, it's still under warranty. Take it back. It's not worth hassling with at this point, just get another one. The warranty may be pro-rated, so you may have to pay a few bucks, but it's worth it to start with a fresh battery.

One final question -do you have a proper battery tender, or is it a battery charger? You should leave your bike on a proper battery tender when you're not riding.

Good luck.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Hi Joey,

I don't know if you have click-of-death or not, but from your Profile Album pics you seem to have the stock front running lights / signals still installed, and those stock front running lights generally mean you are not in danger of having COD assuming they remain incandescent bulbs as stock.

May I ask if this https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-t...ting-agen.html problem was resolved and exactly how it was resolved?

Also, before that trouble started last year, when you first started your bike cold, did the bike start easily (motor turning over just 2 or 3 starter-cranks) and did it cold-idle at about 1100rpm for a few seconds and then reduce idle to about 900rpm?

And what about AFTER you fixed that hard starting problem last year, once fixed did it cold-start easily and idle 1100rpm-ish and in a few seconds reduce to about 900rpm or so?

Now jumping to this new trouble, how long has it been doing this? I know you mentioned Sunday but was it getting troublesome before that, maybe for a few days or weeks? Or maybe has it been taking longer to start ever since the trouble last year was fixed?

The reason I ask is there's a possibility your idle is set too low and/or your LCV has failed in the 'closed' position so extra fuel is being added during cold-starts but no extra air to match. Or maybe the air filters are really dirty. Either way it makes it crank a bit longer when cold and creates a too-rich fuel ratio, and all that draws more battery power so if you don't ride it awhile the battery doesn't get time to fully recharge and you can get some smoke. There's also a possibility your Compression Release is not functioning properly during cranking and that also draws extra juice off the battery.

If the bike isn't 'set-up' properly then its like a bad tune and everything you do to tune it misses the mark because the set-up isn't right in the first place. A new battery will fail in a very short time when its being over-taxed and doesn't have adequate time to recharge itself while riding.

I'd like to suggest that you re-establish the 'baseline' by running down a generic set-up list. You can brainstorm extra items to add to the list, and you can also remove itenms from the list that don't pertain to your bike. You have total control. If this were me I'd add the LCV and Decompression system to the list just in case. Here's a generic Warrior set-up checklist to get you started, I'm thinking this will either fix or highlight the trouble (see the first attached pdf file here): https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/92-d...ml#post2305707

IMO this might be better than burning-thru another battery although who knows maybe your recently-purchaed battery is toasted already. Either way its gonna be a good idea to look for the root cause.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 03-12-2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: typo
arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion