Shortening VH Big Shots - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Shortening VH Big Shots

How does a guy go about shortening his Big Shots? I'm entertaining the idea... I don't just slash cut the end do I? Wouldn't it rust?

Foreign to exhausts.... Sorry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sanny651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Jut cut those babies! You can paint the end with a high temp silicone paint to keep the rust off.

Black HT Silicone Coating (High Temp Paint)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

wadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

That's what I did! Put some Big City Thunder baffles in them and they sound mean! I've got pictures in my gallery. Pretty sure there's a DIY mod about it as well. \m/

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
MMFB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

Like this.....

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/10-w...s.html#1192060

Just saw them, don't worry about no stinking rust. Go riding and get some carbon on them, I think that will keep 'em from rusting.....

Been a great mod, I get to use a torque wrench on my rear axle nut.....

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)

Proper way to check oil level
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by scawein View Post
Like this.....

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/10-w...s.html#1192060

Just saw them, don't worry about no stinking rust. Go riding and get some carbon on them, I think that will keep 'em from rusting.....

Been a great mod, I get to use a torque wrench on my rear axle nut.....
Are these yours? They don't look like the ends were cut off they look like they were shortened. 2 reasons, the ends look rolled and it looks like the logo is stamped on the top pipe. Pretty sure this would be gone if they were cut.

Rick Quest
rquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rquest View Post
Are these yours? They don't look like the ends were cut off they look like they were shortened. 2 reasons, the ends look rolled and it looks like the logo is stamped on the top pipe. Pretty sure this would be gone if they were cut.
Oh yeah, they are mine. I also cut the heat shields down so I could use them.

Still on the bike but now the tips are black.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmm....I like the shortened look a lot. I think with my Christok fender I just got, it would compliment that nicely as well. To cut them, do you just bring it into a muffler shop or something that would have a large saw so as to get a nice, even cut on both pipes or do you wing it by hand? I don't know that I trust myself to wing it....but maybe I could try and if it doesn't turn out well then bring it in and have a shop recut the very end and clean it up?

Old 04-10-2013, 10:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanny651 View Post
Hmmm....I like the shortened look a lot. I think with my Christok fender I just got, it would compliment that nicely as well. To cut them, do you just bring it into a muffler shop or something that would have a large saw so as to get a nice, even cut on both pipes or do you wing it by hand? I don't know that I trust myself to wing it....but maybe I could try and if it doesn't turn out well then bring it in and have a shop recut the very end and clean it up?
I cut them with a hacksaw. The inner pipe and the heatshield. Mark your lines, go carefully and you should be fine.

Keep in mind that I cut my heatshields short which required the aluminum 'garnish' rings I made to cover the area where the muffler tape meets the heat shield.

I also had to modify my baffles to fit in.
Had to drill new holes to mount the baffles in the pipe.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Good deal. I'll have to research this more and more before I do the deed. This is one of those "measure twice, cut once" kind of things. If I do it wrong, it could be a $500 mistake, so I want to make sure I am prepared fully. Never worked on an exhaust before, so how baffles are installed, where to get them, what different baffles do what....that's all foreign to me.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanny651 View Post
Good deal. I'll have to research this more and more before I do the deed. This is one of those "measure twice, cut once" kind of things. If I do it wrong, it could be a $500 mistake, so I want to make sure I am prepared fully. Never worked on an exhaust before, so how baffles are installed, where to get them, what different baffles do what....that's all foreign to me.
Also for your consideration:
the muffler tape will allow MORE heat towards your leg than the stock heat shields (OEM or V&H)
I don't mind it all but just thought I would share.

I am getting pipe from 1256day to make another exhaust for my bike and everything has a price....lol...just not sure what I would want for them at the moment....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion