left side oil line question - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2015, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ama

Default left side oil line question

Last year I had the oil line on the left side powder coated and I reinstalled it and everything worked fine. Today after about a year or so I realized there was a good amount of build up of the oil around two of the three bolts , the very bottom left one and the upper right one. In the pictures I unfortunately already wiped it all off but what could it be just didn't tighten it enough? I hand tightened it, do I need a tool to really pop those suckers on there? Also I find it odd that the top left one was fine without any residue buildup.. Im pretty sure they were all the same tightness
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431722459259-1813356623.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	224.5 KB
ID:	110698  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

Normally copper or crush washers are used with banjo bolts, 2 per bolt = one @ each side of the fitting.

Do not have time to research part numbers.
Forum member #113

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 08:50 AM   #3 (permalink)

What he said. ^^^. Some members just flip the washers over but I always buy new ones. Never an issue.
MMFB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ama

You're thinking me reusing the washers might not be good? Have to buy new ones?

Ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I've had problems reusing them.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

Your local auto parts store should have copper washers in various sizes.
Take a sample with you for correct sizing, ask for brake hose washers.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Not to say it will work all of the time but i re-used mine and no leaks. There is a torque rating on them so hand tight is not enough.

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

when reusing copper washers.. glow them out (or whatever it's called in english) just hold em in a flame till they glow and let em cool naturally.. restores their ability to get squashed.
PeterSik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 01:35 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm sorta big on always using fresh sealing / crush washers too. Including spark plugs and oil plugs and brake lines. Cheap insurance against stripping aluminum threads. Odds are this is the only trouble in your case, these lines are generally trouble-free. Fingers crossed for you!

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSik View Post
when reusing copper washers.. glow them out (or whatever it's called in english) just hold em in a flame till they glow and let em cool naturally.. restores their ability to get squashed.
Anneal is the word you're thinking of.
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion