Rough Idle/Stalling and Misfiring - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2015, 02:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Rough Idle/Stalling and Misfiring

Hello all, my name is Greg and I'm from PA. This is my first post, but far from the first time on the website. I recently bought a warrior from a dealership and absolutely love the bike. I honestly never heard of one prior to me purchasing it. Here it goes:

2007 Yamaha Warrior
Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust
~7500 miles
Stock K&N filters and box
PCIII USB

I really am not sure of any other mods that are on the bike. I am also not very good with the terms some of you guys use, I'm quite the novice with this bike so you might have to dumb down what you have to say.

Bike ran great for the two months. Never did anything wrong. CPS recall was finished in 2009 per a Yamaha dealer. One day I got gas (92 octane, recently switched after reading they run better on 87) at a gas station that I never get gas at. I left there, arrived at my destination, hangout for awhile and went to leave. The bike wanted to stall every time I came to a stop and I had to hold the throttle in a bit to keep it running. It was misfiring and the RPM's were jumping all over the place. I finally got the bike home and immediately drained the old gas out, put some injector cleaner in, and put fresh gas in. I rode it that night for another 100 miles or so to make sure that old gas was completely out. It was still running terrible, in fact it got worse. From 1000-3000 RPM's the bike misses and fumbles and bucks me off the seat. Above 3000 RPM's, the bike runs great. Or if I punch it off the get go, it never skips a beat. There is black smoke blowing out the pipes and it smells like unburnt fuel. I knew I needed the change the plugs, so i did that and they were black. I cleaned all the filters and re-oiled them while it was apart. I started it back up, and it was doing the same thing. I changed the MAP the next day to the right one I found on rswarriordocs. The bike was back to normal, and I drove it for a day or two. Then it started stalling and fumbling at stop lights. Now it backs to the 1000-3000 RPM's stumbling and stalling. The black smoke is back and it won't idle at all. It sounds like ****, and its depressing with how nice it has been. I called Dynojet up and the guy tried screwing with the mapping over the phone by taking fuel away and giving it some. It didn't change, so he put a zero map in. Still didn't change a **** thing. Now I am completely stumped. The dealership told me it could be the TPS, but I have no idea where that is or how to check it. I looked it up, but I was confused with what I was reading. I was also looking into a Cobra Autotune, but if there is nothing wrong with the PCIII then I won't change it. I need any and all the help I can get, because me along with everyone else helping me are completely stumped! Thanks again everybody, if you need anymore info just let me know.
GAzzalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's likely your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) or CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). You'll need to visually check all connections to the sensors, and then test both sensors and make sure they're operating per specs. All of the info about what they are and how to test them is contained within the forum, just use the search function. The manuals for your bike are also available through the forum.

Alternately, it could be a bad connection with your PCIII. First, double check all connections, then search "perfect install" and make sure it's hooked up per the suggestion.

If this is completely outside of your comfort zone, then it might be best to take it to a mechanic.

Last edited by ShamelessMT; 05-27-2015 at 03:06 PM.
ShamelessMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 04:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShamelessMT View Post
It's likely your TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) or CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). You'll need to visually check all connections to the sensors, and then test both sensors and make sure they're operating per specs. All of the info about what they are and how to test them is contained within the forum, just use the search function. The manuals for your bike are also available through the forum.

Alternately, it could be a bad connection with your PCIII. First, double check all connections, then search "perfect install" and make sure it's hooked up per the suggestion.

If this is completely outside of your comfort zone, then it might be best to take it to a mechanic.
I will pull the tank and check all the connections. My biggest problem is just trying to find these sensors, even with the search function. I just changed the oil, and I will pull the tank, check the connections, look up "perfect install" and make sure everything is wired correctly. I will look up a test for the TPS and see if that is my problem. Thank you, any other input or help would be appreciated!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I just checked my TPS with the built in diagnostic on the odometer and my closed value is 32-33. I read that its supposed to be 15-20. So I know I have a problem there, but how do i go about fixing it...

Is the TPS behind the fuel connection, behind the fake intake cover?
Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

The TPS is on the right side throttle body. It has an electrical plug plugged into it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAzzalina View Post
I just checked my TPS with the built in diagnostic on the odometer and my closed value is 32-33. I read that its supposed to be 15-20. So I know I have a problem there, but how do i go about fixing it...

Is the TPS behind the fuel connection, behind the fake intake cover?
The TPS is on the right, behind the coffin/air intake. It also takes a T25 tamperproof torx to adjust. See this: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/2192645-post4.html

The CPS is in the left side of the engine in the clutch cover. Unless it tests faulty, you're not going to want to pull it. However, you should check the connections you can see. https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/1132512-post19.html
Old 05-27-2015, 06:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
The TPS is on the right, behind the coffin/air intake. It also takes a T25 tamperproof torx to adjust. See this: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/2192645-post4.html

The CPS is in the left side of the engine in the clutch cover. Unless it tests faulty, you're not going to want to pull it. However, you should check the connections you can see. https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/1132512-post19.html
I tested my TPS and it seem to be checking out just fine as far as resistances go. However, in the DIAG it is still reading closed as 32. How can I adjust that number to go down to the 15-20 range?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

You have to loosen the 2 bolts (the T25 security torx heads) that hold it in place and physically rotate the assembly.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
You have to loosen the 2 bolts (the T25 security torx heads) that hold it in place and physically rotate the assembly.
So its pretty much guess and check by how much to rotate it by?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

PLEASE DO NOT MOVE YOUR TPS JUST YET. Once moved, we have seen people pull hair out trying to get it set right.....sooooooo.....

I think it is your CPS (yeah the one under the left side crankcase cover).

OR (and this is possible)

Once you find the TPS (sounds like you did). Look at the cable coming from it. This is where a wire is added for your PCIII. They use really crappy crimps. (They are insulation displacement type which really means they suck) They often cut a strand or two of the wire and then the trouble starts.

A number of us have had the problem and have eliminated that crimp contact.

AND (try these things too)

In my signature you can:

get a pdf of the manual
Page 1-13 describes how the TPS works
Page 7-2 shows it's relative location on the bike
Page 7-4 shows the location of the CPS
Page 7-19 shows how to test the CPS (at the connector under the seat)

In my signature you can also:
find the proper way to check the oil in this motor. This motor is a semi dry sump and checking the oil is a specific effort, watch the video and check that way only.
NOTE: we have seen issues with crappy running due to TOO much oil.

I would also become more familiar with how to zero the TPS on the PCIII. I forgot exactly how since I have the Cobra Autotune now, but the process is simple and might help your situation.

On the rear cylinder there is a breather vent for crankcase pressure. Check this filter and make sure it is clean. The vent is on the top of the cylinder on the right hand side.

Check these things out and let us know what you find.

We usually win, so bear with us for a bit...

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proper way to check oil level
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion