Seat stuck, maybe broken cable - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Seat stuck, maybe broken cable

I'm looking for some help getting my modded (tank stretch, foam removed) stock seat off of the bike. I had some trouble last year with it being very difficult to disengage the seat without putting a lot of pressure on the seat, and now I can't get it to release at all. I've removed the left side cover and the cable is seated correctly, and the cable moves freely, but doesn't disengage the seat lock. I think there is a good chance the cable is broken. Does anyone have a good idea of how to get the seat off of the bike. Short of carefully cutting off the lock with a hack saw, I'm at a loss.
dragstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2016, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rquest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragstar View Post
I'm looking for some help getting my modded (tank stretch, foam removed) stock seat off of the bike. I had some trouble last year with it being very difficult to disengage the seat without putting a lot of pressure on the seat, and now I can't get it to release at all. I've removed the left side cover and the cable is seated correctly, and the cable moves freely, but doesn't disengage the seat lock. I think there is a good chance the cable is broken. Does anyone have a good idea of how to get the seat off of the bike. Short of carefully cutting off the lock with a hack saw, I'm at a loss.
Are you sure it even uses a cable? I don't remember ever seeing on, anyway, I usually put my knee in the middle of the seat just to take some stress off of the mechanism. Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rick Quest
rquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah on my warrior there is a cable that runs from the key mechanism to the latch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Linkies - ->

Warning: I will more than likely offend you at some point.
08RSW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Take off the cover and you'll be able to see what's going on with the mechanism.
Warrior_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, have to push down on the seat and then turn the key to get it to unlock.
Good luck
WORYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to rquest

He must have gotten it off, hahah

Rick Quest
rquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Nope, still stuck. The key turns the cam on the inside of the cover, but I can't tell if it just won't turn far enough to release, or if it's making the full turn because the cable is broken. More to come.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Yes, there's a a cable as you know. If the cable is loose but don't come out when you pull on it, it might be stretched. Try pulling on it with pliers as you push down on the seat. If the cable comes out, it's broke. My .02.
MMFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 01:26 PM   #9 (permalink)

Remove the cover with the key (it only 2 bolts and removing the drive pulley cover). Inside you will see the key mechanism with the cable and soldered on "T". If you twist the cover around and finagle it a bit, you can get the cable out of the key mechanism. From there do as MMFB stated and pull the cable with a pair of pliers. You will want to hold the black cable shield with one hand and pull the cable with the other. If the cable comes out, its broke and onto the next step. If it unlatches you seat, then you need to adjust it so that the seat lock can be unlatched (the cable is stretched).

Linkies - ->

Warning: I will more than likely offend you at some point.
08RSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Well the cable wasnt broken, but the latch was very stuck. I had to lift the corner of the seat and push the latch through by hitting a long screw driver with a mallet. Crisis averted. Thanks for the help everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion