Cobra FI2000R Power Pro Black question - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cobra FI2000R Power Pro Black question

So I got one of these and hooked everything up. Very easy install. I warmed the bike up and about 5 miles down a 55mph highway I had a very brief loss of power like a cylinder did not get enough fuel to fire (my guess). It stopped and came back later a couple times on a 10 mile stretch. It always happened at cruise and not at acceleration or idle.

I spoke to someone at Cobra, which said they had not heard of that before but it sounded like either a connection issue or I needed to use the bluetooth app to bump up the Cruise fuel delivery slightly.

Any thoughts? I checked connections. Checked coils, wires, plugs and the connections to the bike from the tuner for anything that appeared loose. But it did just start happening after I installed this tuner.
xrismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 05:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

Mighty coincidental if not the tuner. Try bumping it with the app and let us know. Thanks for posting up on this tuner. Lots of interest on this guy.
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This autotuner works by gathering data during acceleration which it stores on live ram chip so if you ride at really low rpm then this can happen. This bike likes to have the rpm up a little bit. The original and the black models share this trait. The original had a pot inside to adjust for this and the black might also have the same. Once you dial that in the rest is 100% automatic tuning.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2017, 05:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The bluetooth adjustment accomplishes the same adjustment. But the pot adjustment might also be accessible inside the case.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #5 (permalink)

i do not think the black does not have the three pots like the reg fi2000
mkayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the feedback.

I can confirm the newer Power Pro Black does not have POTS to adjust on the device (and it is easy to break open and see the circuit board & connections).

I am going to use the bluetooth/android app to bump up the fuel injection on cruise from 4ms to 5ms and see if it completely eliminates the brief loss of power. This is also what the guys at Cobra suggested, and they are willing to test it in-house if I am still not able to come to a resolution myself.

One note about this tuner. I have a Google Nexus 6 phone and one upside/downside to phones direct from Google is that they are always updated first with security updates and new features. Point being the Cobra app cannot find the Power Pro Black on the latest android version 7.0 with April 1, 2017 security patch level. It does show up in the bluetooth settings of the phone, but the Cobra app is not able to get that information for some reason from the bluetooth settings. I had my previous Samsung Galaxy S3 phone laying around unused and it works just fine. I have not done any testing with their iPhone app.

I will bump it up this weekend and let you know how it goes. Can't beat how easy it is to install this tuner, and the bluetooth app is very easy to use.
xrismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

I bought one of these and now have it installed along with Ivan’s ecu and vbak. Bike runs great. I’m just starting to ride it today. Very smooth, only hesitation I’m having is when I snatch it wide open throttle from a slight accel. It may learn that on out, if not ill try a slight bump. Nice unit
lcgixxer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just a little more feedback on my powrpro black so far. Logged I about 100 miles so far. Lots of testing. From cobra the cruise is 5ms whatever that means. From cobra the acceleration is 1.3ms. Ivan said to remove all the fuel added on the acceleration feature and it will knock out the hesitation I get sometimes when I crack the throttle wide open. Cutting the fuel up a few ticks to 1.7 made it a lot worse, 1.4 was really bad. I guess overfuel. It actually bucked like it was drowning in the upper revs. Least thatís my take. Dialed down to .8 ms on the acceleration setting it seems to have the most power. It threw me back in my seat and startled me honestly but it could have been my attention span to holding on. Further on down I dialed it to .2 ms and I did not detect any hesitation at all when I cracked the throttle wide open. Gonna ride it here for a few days and check the plugs. If they are white like they were without the cobra unit back to .8 ms it goes. So on and so forth. It is a super easy device to tune and if it wasnít for my ocd I wouldnít be fiddling with the settings but I donít want any hesitation or pauses when I go wide open. The warrior is a wonderful machine to rip the throttle. Anyways thatís what Iíve learned so far. And my feedback is so far positive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lcgixxer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Great tweak report lc.

Yep mkayx you are right it does not have the three face pots. I was meaning to say it might have the one internal pot but it turns out it does not!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkayx View Post
i do not think the black does not have the three pots like the reg fi2000

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 05-05-2018 at 06:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

Is there not something to consider with respect to the tuner needing at least 50 miles or so to adjust to the riders style of riding so if you only ride it a few miles it could take a while for the tuner to adjust to the riding style

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion