Electrical issue - Died, now it coughs and sputters - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Electrical issue - Died, now it coughs and sputters

The other day I was riding to work and the Warrior coughed a bit and then died. I pulled over and it wouldn't start. It was dark out, so I couldn't see much. I took the seat off and played with the wires a bit and it started right up and rode like normal for about 1/4 mile or so and did it again. This is all within a mile or so of home. Same thing a couple more times, but now just dying without the cough. I turned around and headed back home. It did the same thing repeatedly, getting more frequent, probably 8 - 10 times before I got home. Each time it died it would not start and there was no sound from the fuel pump or LCV when the key was turned on, until I messed with the wires under the seat.

So I parked it in the garage until I could check it out in daylight. Yesterday I took it out and did a lap around the neighborhood trying to get the same issue to narrow down the problem. It didn't die at all, but now it coughs and sputters, mostly around 4000 - 4500 RPMs but sometimes lower revs too.

The bike is heavily modified, and a lot of it was done before I bought it. Mostly relocated stuff and LED lights. I replaced the PCV with a Dynatek Fusion fuel controller (pretty much a PCV with ignition timing control added), and added a Dynojet AutoTuner about a year ago. The O2 sensors are unplugged now (no bungs in the new exhaust). It ran fine with the new exhaust for a couple months, so I don't think it's anything to do with that. Nothing has been done to it since I replaced the exhaust.

From the symptoms, I'm pretty sure it's a loose wire or connector somewhere, but I don't see anything obvious and it runs fine in the garage with the seat off. I'm thinking I'll take the AutoTune off since it's not functioning without the O2 sensors, but I did verify that it is not modifying the map (Trim map is all zeros).

Anyone have a good idea where to start?

Thanks,

05 Speedstar Stage IV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2017, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Could try pushing wires on LAS connector. Mine got loose once and that did it.

Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

wish I had an answer that would help you man. I hate electrical gremlins.
evilrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Checking the wiring on the tuners. While running mess with the wires and see if it changes any thing.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Check the battery and starter cables for clean, tight connections then let us know.

DARK MIDKNIGHT WARRIOR
Check out the DIY MOD LISTfor many free, cheap, easy Mods!! You will be glad you did!
Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread New Member FAQ
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

Check your ground cables, there are 2, one to the chassis and one to a white connector. The latter can give grief. Also check your coil connectors and main HT cables/plugs. They are known to give similar issues.

Dutch
NL_NZ_SA_AU
Flyingdutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

I just noticed I never got back on this thread and posted the fix. It was the LAS (lean angle sensor) Thanks Stretch. I just glued it in place to disable it and it's worked fine ever since. I keep meaning to get another one, but never get around to it.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Brizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Awesome. Glad you got it.

Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

Fantastic news.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for coming back and posting your results. It's always nice to find out what happened in case someone else has this problem and is looking for an answer.

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion