Speedstar Gen2 strip down - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2018, 01:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Speedstar Gen2 strip down

There has always been a debate on the benefits of the Gen2 exhaust for torque and HP. Not getting into that debate but will say I love the sound. I recently acquired a spare Gen2 exhaust off Tomba in the UK that is very rusty but perfect for what I want to do with it. For those that have never seen the insides it is fairly basic really but thought I would post some photos up so you can all see. The pipe is made up of two larger than std tubes 50mm (2")internal with baffle sleeves welded in, bore size of baffle 48mm (1"7/8).
The down pipes are also larger at 40mm internal compared with 35mm std. This may explain why the performance on HP compared to Std down pipes. I plan to clean them up, strip the chrome, possibly shorten them and then powder coat black.

Heff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

heff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2018, 05:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Should be awesome. Ive always liked the pipe just too long. Smashmup has mine. Looks good on his bike.

Don't touch that please, your primitive intellect wouldn't understand alloys and compositions and things with... molecular structures.
HURD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #3 (permalink)

Wow, the Speed* muffler is a lot different than the V&H pro pipe muffler.

Have you considered leaving the case off, cleaning up the guts, grinding off the flange at the inlet, powder coating and putting that on the bike? I think that would look cool!
WORYR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

Absolutely love the sound of these, I think my only complaint is it is a bit heavy. Had mine ceramic coated black, looks great too.

It's so simple to be smart. Just think of something stupid to say, and then don't say it. - Anonymous

Member #3,925. Woo Hoo!!
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
JAK

The Speed* pipe does sound awesome the only issue was it needed to be shorter.It was just alot easier to go with the Holeshot system

]What do ya mean i aint kind just not your kind!!
JAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

What effect will making the pipe shorter have on the sound quality?
automagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

That's very interesting heff...i somehow expected more ...oddly ...good work

i'm pleased your happy ...that's the best bit

i noticed the chromers had attacked the back bolts of the cover ...did you have to do much more to get it off?

WARRIOR - OIL CHECK VIDEO
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

and ...i don't remember you vaping !!?

WARRIOR - OIL CHECK VIDEO
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomba View Post
and ...i don't remember you vaping !!?
Yeah all good tihings come to an end Tomba, been mostly vaping since xmas.

Heff

Old 01-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAK View Post
The Speed* pipe does sound awesome the only issue was it needed to be shorter.It was just alot easier to go with the Holeshot system
Thinking of shortening about a third, but will add some torque cones to compensate the loss in Back Pressure.

Heff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion