Cams - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2018, 09:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cams

Noticed no-one runs bigger cams without big bore kit. Its it for a reason or no-one makes upgraded cams for stock warrior motor?
Cherokee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Many of us run the Yamaha Speedstar cams and the stock bore, usually with high compression pistons. I think most of the people who go with the Patrick Racing cams also opt for the big bore kit.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

I take it can't run upgraded cams without upping the compression

Old 09-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think you can, but you don't get as much out of it. There was a whole package from Yamaha that often got done together. I think most people called it the Stage IV kit, although I don't know why. It was Speedstar cams, pistons, intake, and exhaust. The intake scoop looks pretty cool, but I think a BAK proved to be a better performance intake.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Old 09-03-2018, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

A stage 1 cam would do nothing more than stock does. A stage 2 cam improves low end power but the Warrior has plenty of that. By the time you get to stage 3 cams you need to increase compression to offset losses, and springs become a wise choice. The only cams I have seen for this beast are stage 4 cams. Really need higher compression and springs, good to have vbak or bak. Gotta have better exhaust flow. For street use the stock injectors work great. The stage 4 Yamaha kit had a slightly modified ECU. The PR kit does not.

High compression pistons are available for the stock bore and for bigger bore.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-03-2018 at 10:24 PM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks for info. Was curious why. I've upgraded cams on other bikes in the pass and made big difference.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
A stage 1 cam would do nothing more than stock does. A stage 2 cam improves low end power but the Warrior has plenty of that. By the time you get to stage 3 cams you need to increase compression to offset losses, and springs become a wise choice. The only cams I have seen for this beast are stage 4 cams. Really need higher compression and springs, good to have vbak or bak. Gotta have better exhaust flow. For street use the stock injectors work great. The stage 4 Yamaha kit had a slightly modified ECU. The PR kit does not.

High compression pistons are available for the stock bore and for bigger bore.
I've never heard of Stage 1,2,or 3 cams in relation to the Warrior. To my knowledge, Yamaha's Stage IV kit had the only aftermarket cams they sold for the Warrior ... any further info?

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-04-2018 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Oops wrong post sorry!
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizzman View Post
I think you can, but you don't get as much out of it. There was a whole package from Yamaha that often got done together. I think most people called it the Stage IV kit, although I don't know why. It was Speedstar cams, pistons, intake, and exhaust. The intake scoop looks pretty cool, but I think a BAK proved to be a better performance intake.
It also included stronger valve springs, different clutch spring (Barnett is better), different fuel pressure regulator, higher flow injectors, and a different ECU that included timing changes and higher redline, different tune etc. The Stage IV airkit had velocity stacks without filters so most didn't go that route and used the VBak.
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 11:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

So we said the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce59 View Post
I've never heard of Stage 1,2,or 3 cams in relation to the Warrior. To my knowledge, Yamaha's Stage IV kit had the only aftermarket cams they sold for the Warrior ... any further info?

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 12:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce59 View Post
It also included stronger valve springs, different clutch spring (Barnett is better), different fuel pressure regulator, higher flow injectors, and a different ECU that included timing changes and higher redline, different tune etc. The Stage IV airkit had velocity stacks without filters so most didn't go that route and used the VBak.

I knew about the valve springs, injectors and ECU, but forgot to mention them. I didn't know about the rest. I thought the Speedstar intake was part of it. Thanks for the correction.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion